Severe bleeding 10 days post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Severe bleeding 10 days post LIS

Postby HLT2 » 09 Apr 2019, 12:54

Hi, I am new here, scared and need support. I’m a 44 year old female who suffered with an anal fissure for almost 2 years. I finally opted for surgery which I had on March 29 2019. The first few days weren’t bad. I was given ibuprofen, Percocet and Valium for pain and spasms. I cut down the Percocet to just one a day after BMs on Monday and only took Valium if I had spasms. On Saturday, the fissure pain came back hard and I had a lot of blood on my stool. Pain all day Sunday. Then yesterday I had to bouts of extremely bloody diarrhea to the point the blood was dripping and running out. I came very close to passing out. I laid down for an hour and the faintness passed. I took one Percocet to help with the terrible pain and to sleep. I’ll also add that I had lots of bleeding before surgery and two weeks prior was in the hospital for a blood transfusion. I’m currently waiting for a call back from my surgeon. Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this. Thank you, S
HLT2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Severe bleeding 10 days post LIS

Postby patience_and_healing » 09 Apr 2019, 22:49

That sounds awful, I'm sorry. It's probably hemorrhoids, but you really need medical attention to figure out what's going on. It may be blood vessel that has been damaged. Please let us know how you get on.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby owmybum » 10 Apr 2019, 05:42

You poor thing, how frightening it must be for you.
Please get seen to... it doesn’t sound right.
Let us know how you are soon x

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby HLT2 » 11 Apr 2019, 07:56

Thank you for the responses. Im going to the GI today at my surgeons recommendation. He does not seem to think the LIS or fissure alone should cause that extreme amount of bleeding. I’ve cut back the stool softeners just out of fear of a bad episode of diaherria again. Still have blood with any BM, but not as terrible as with the diaherria. Still lots of fissure pain almost 2 weeks since surgery.
HLT2
Fibre Addict

Postby Tryingtorelax » 14 Jun 2019, 09:41

HLT2, how are you? Did you find the true source of your bleeding?
Tryingtorelax
Salt Bather

Postby HLT2 » 14 Jun 2019, 14:19

Hello! Thank you for checking in with me. I'm actually scheduled for a colonoscopy and endoscopy this coming Monday. I've still had some bleeding since surgery but not as severe. Still having pain after BM's though, 2 months out of surgery. I'm dreading the colonoscopy prep :(. Hoping for some answers on Monday that won't be terrible news. I'm having a lot of anxiety about it :(
HLT2
Fibre Addict

Postby woeisme » 21 Jun 2019, 04:16

HLT2-what did the colonoscopy and endoscopy reveal? How was the prep?
woeisme
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby HLT2 » 21 Jun 2019, 13:03

Hi woeisme, the colonoscopy revealed internal hems and possible microscopic colitis which could explain some of the previous bleeding. She sent a biopsy for that. The endoscopy revealed gastritis and a stomach polyp, which she said isn't usually serious but she sent for biopsy on that as well. I didn't have any colon polyps, thank goodness. The prep wasn't bad once everything started turning liquid. (BTW I will never eat green jello during prep again...I'll stick to yellow, lol) There was a point where I was having a lot of pain and burning and didn't think I was going to get through it, but it kept feeling better each time I went and the pain didn't linger like it did before I had the surgery. Post procedure, I haven't been having hardly any pain at all. I hope it lasts!!
HLT2
Fibre Addict