LIS 7/22/2019 Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

LIS 7/22/2019 Diary

Postby jis76 » 21 Jul 2019, 14:26

I'm starting over my diary as this thing is really happening tomorrow. I promise no matter what happens, quick or long recovery I'll come back and update at 6,9, 1yr. I know it helped me to read a few others that came back and reported on success or further complications they had. It helps ease the anxiety.

If you want to read my pre-LIS diary it's here: https://anal-fissure.org/need-lis-but-i-m-not-quite-there-yet-t25630.htmlThe basics of my story :

* Fissures would pop up ever so often for the past 20 years. Most of the time the pain was bearable and would go away

* About 8 years ago was prescribed nifedipine after a particularly painful bout with a fissure. I started on Miralax at the same time. This kept the pain away, but every once in awhile I would have blood in stool, and would occasionally have pain. I knew at some point I would need this more permanently taken care of.

* Back in April of this year, I started to having minor issues (no pain, but a little blood), until I had a really rough BM in June where it was very solid and I pushed to get it out before I was getting on airplane. Pain was pretty bad all through June.

* I made an appointment to see CRS with a lot of experience. By the time I saw him I wasn't in pain anymore, but after Anoscope exam things got worse again. Worse than they have ever been. Unable to work at the moment because pain lasts most of the morning for about 4-6 hours.

So I asked the surgeon if he could get me in, and they obliged thank god. I am going in tomorrow (Monday) around late morning. I can't go through another bout like this again... I need my life back. My surgeon has done over 1000 of these. I trust in his skill...

Depending on how numb I am I'll see about posting tomorrow. Trying to be optimistic, that I will be on my way to a pain free, blood free, and fissure free life starting tomorrow.
jis76
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: LIS 7/22/2019 Diary

Postby chachacha » 21 Jul 2019, 16:22

All the best tomorrow. I hope that you have an easy, and speedy, recovery.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby jis76 » 22 Jul 2019, 06:46

Day 1: Pre-OP

Didn't sleep well as one would expect. Had a bm shortly after getting up at 6:15am, got in bath for about half hour to calm thing down.

Then I did the first enema of my 42 years.... was pretty nervous, but it went in easily with some lube. No pain at all on entry which was a pleasant surprise. At first I could feel the water going in, then I keep squeezing and nothing, so I popped it out. To my surprise it was still half full. Doh. Well i wasn't going to reinsert.

I waited... nothing. Finally just decided to sit on toilet and things got moving. Was surprised how much came out... all a big watery mess that stung quite a bit. Got back in bath.

Next enema in about 1.5 hours and then off to surgery....
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 22 Jul 2019, 13:36

Day 1 post OP

Surgery is done...yeah!!!! LIS

* surgical center staff and doctors were awesome at putting me at ease.

* I'm still numbed up, but I feel a bit of discomfort, pain max at 2 on drive home. I feel a dull ache down there. Prescribed Tramadol. I'm gonna take one in about an hour to get ahead of any possible pain. Taken 2 tylenol to start off and will keep up the pain killer regime (cycle advil, tylenol, tramadol) through Wednesday . Lots of water because of the tramadol....

* surgery took him about 5 minutes he said. Fissure in the front and the back and said that is really hard to heal.

* told I could take another bath tonight remove dressing and replace l. No packing, so I guess that means I had the closed version.

* had some Gatoradde and crackers

Feeling very optimistic at the moment! Relieved the surgery is over and hopefully to keep pain under control the next 48 hours!
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby Tatie » 22 Jul 2019, 18:05

Jis76,

YAY!!! So happy for you ! I wish you a speedy recovery :) Keep on updating us, please. My LIS is this Thursday.
Tatie
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 22 Jul 2019, 21:18

Day 1, 10:00pm

Greetings from the tub! Taking first soak post OP.

Pain is not there, just a bit of discomfort. I'm sticking with a plan at the moment of keeping up with recommended pain killers... 2 tylenol, 1 tramadol, and 3 advil, spaced out. I will drop the tram tommorow, but going to try one more a little later to see if I can get a good sleep.

Napped earlier, but woke myself up at around 9 to remove the gauze from LiS. Bloody, but not as bad I would have thought.

No problems with urination, water intake is high. Have only eaten crackers. Will try to eat as normally as possible tommorow.

Haven't decided yet whether I want to venture downstairs for my miralax. Or wait till morning after I've ate a bit more to eat. Think I'll wait.

Toughest thing right now is figuring out a comfortable position while laying in bed. I fell asleep on my side, but much prefer to be on my back.
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby jis76 » 23 Jul 2019, 09:54

Day 2 (1 day post op) 11:00am

Greetings again from the tub.

Still doing okay. Pain is barely there, a little when I move. No tramadol since last night. Cycling acetomenaphin and iboprufin.

Some blood from last night when i changed the gauze. For those wondering, since the incision is not visible the gauze is just shoved between your butt cheeks to collect the blood. For women, I think you would just use a feminine pad.

Mostly just a swollen feeling down there. The sensation of passing gas is different.

So the plan for today. Rest, baths, cycle meds. Try to eat a normal day, and then I'll do a full cap + miralax in the evening with possibly a bit of benefiber to see if I can get things moving tonight or tommorow am.

Dreading that first bm. But glad to be in less pain the last 18 hours then I was for most of last week.
jis76
Salt Bather

Postby Tatie » 23 Jul 2019, 11:21

So so happy for you !:) I figured you would feel great relief post LIS :)
Tatie
Salt Bather

Postby missy moo » 23 Jul 2019, 20:38

Would you of still had lis even if things stayed as they had been before the got super bad? I only have razor blade pain during bms and some soreness for up to 30mins afterwards wondering if lis is for people like me too? I've had my fissure for 6 years and I've tried all the creams and Botox twice I now have a fissure front and back because the first round of Botox gave me a second fissure.
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37

Postby jis76 » 23 Jul 2019, 21:36

Hi missie moo. So for a long time that's how I was. Pain during bm like razor blades, but not much afterwards. Things changed for me and then I rushed in to Lis on Monday on advise of doctor. He would have done the Lis any time, as he said I've been dealing with this long enough.

I kept thinking for about the last year I might try to do the lis this winter, as I was getting tired of the tear, heal cycle every few months. It's really hard to jump in to it when your not in pain and functioning okay. So hard to say if I would have if things were under control... with that said the surgery itself is not bad at all.
jis76
Salt Bather