Three days post LIS after dealing with AF for 5 years

LIS recovery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Three days post LIS after dealing with AF for 5 years

Postby AKDad37 » 15 Jun 2020, 20:03

I went and saw another provider in the same office, she said my Levator muscle is in constant spasm and is likely not helping in the healing process, this a re-tear was likely.

I will need to start over my healing essentially, which is very depressing and work on my pelvic floor muscles with more physical therapy.

As far as the surgery is concerned apparently she could tell that LIS was done so my issues run deeper than just the sphincter.
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby AKDad37 » 17 Jun 2020, 12:55

Well, the last few days have been really crappy.

My right side itching and discomfort has turned into insane, daily pain that lasts pretty much all day. The only thing that relives it is sitz baths and pressure on my muscles near my anal opening. It feels like it's near my incision site. Doctor said she saw no infection on last visit.

Seeing my main doctor Friday. The pain is worst when I purposely clench, it feels like a stinging cramp. Walking is difficult.

Everything remains super tight despite using Nifedipine and trying to relax. The best part of my day is early in the morning before the first BM, because I can pass gas and the pain isn't so bad. After that first BM, everything shuts down and tenses for the rest of the day.

Living like this is hell, and I already had the surgery so I'm really at rock bottom. My fear is my CRS was way too conservative with his cut, resulting in basically doing nothing, but the trauma of all of this made my pelvic floor muscles go out of control. I mean I can't even pass gas right now if I wanted to, it's that tight.
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby hrq » 18 Jun 2020, 13:17

Really feeling sorry for you.Hooe that you will recover very soon I want to ask a question did you experience fecal incontinence after LIS?
hrq

Postby AKDad37 » 18 Jun 2020, 13:34

hrq wrote:Really feeling sorry for you.Hooe that you will recover very soon I want to ask a question did you experience fecal incontinence after LIS?

Not at all, if anything my sphincter was more tight and it was harder to pass stool than prior to surgery.

I've had inflammation and spasms in my entire pelvic floor area since day 1, which makes things difficult to pass, even gas at times is hard for me to pass
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby hrq » 21 Jun 2020, 06:20

How are you now? Is there any improvement in your pain and BMs?
hrq

Postby AKDad37 » 21 Jun 2020, 08:53

Saw my CRS.

I'm honestly thinking of switching to a different provider in the same office. My guy is throwing his hands up in the air at me now.

Both fissures are healing, slowly, but at 6 weeks he said we should start trying dilation.

He said to me " I've never seen someone so emotional over Fissures before" well I guess he doesn't understand how these have basically become my life. My life revolves around blood, pain, sitz baths and anxiety and stress. He's such a jerk about this and I got emotional when he said that I was apparently looking to me in a "5% failure rate" for LIS. I believe he made too conservative of a cut. He said I'm still hypertonic tone even after surgery and he "disagrees" that I have pelvic floor problems when I have a physical therapist and another provider in the same office telling me that my Levator muscle is spasming.

He wants me to start dilation. I've been doing that for the last two days. Doesn't seem to be doing much. Using Nifedipine.

New symptoms: Passing mucous (pure mucous) on occasion instead of stool. Still have tnesemus after almost 7 weeks. Stool thin and loose at times. No fever, no other symptoms of infection. Pain on the Right side of my anus after BM, goes away with Pelvic Floor stimulation.

I'm really awfully tired of this
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 21 Jun 2020, 11:58

I did dilation for over six months before it did anything for me. Every darn day.

Now, after about five years, I have a wretched fissure again. How did you get Nifedipine? Does it still have to be compounded?

I did not have surgery (too many hem ops to go there again). But, now I am going through the same rubbish as before. A bloody pain in the arse!!! :groan:

Difficult to sit, etc. All the old story. Sitz bath and on and on :~!@: :~!@: :~!@: :~!@:
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby AKDad37 » 21 Jun 2020, 12:09

Savaici wrote:I did dilation for over six months before it did anything for me. Every darn day.

Now, after about five years, I have a wretched fissure again. How did you get Nifedipine? Does it still have to be compounded?

I did not have surgery (too many hem ops to go there again). But, now I am going through the same rubbish as before. A bloody pain in the arse!!! :groan:

Sorry to hear you're also going through hell too.

I'm a bit disappointed in my doctor. Recommending dilation and Nifedipine after having LIS seems like going backwards. I feel like that should have been his approach first but in his defense I did feel like LIS seemed like a better option initially since I had two fissures.

I'm only using my finger and coating it with Nifedipine.

I got a prescription for that stuff at a local pharmacy as a compound ointment. It doesn't seem to help that much.

I'm glad this forum is here so we can all band together and talk about this stuff, so thank you for keeping this site open and out there for people that suffer from this.

I still can't believe my doctor had the nerve to say "I've never seen someone so emotional over fissures" to my face while I was crying in his office. This entire thing ruins my life. It's all I focus on, it's my daily routine and daily problem that my entire life revolves around.
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby Savaici » 21 Jun 2020, 12:19

Wait until he gets the bloody things. I went through the same with docs. By thec way, I also belong to a group on Facebook that I found after much searching.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby AKDad37 » 21 Jun 2020, 12:38

How many times a day did you dilate? I'm doing it about twice a day. I guess it's getting a bit better each time but it's still what I would consider "difficult" even using my index finger.

Any stool that is over 1/2" in diameter is agony and that's all it took for me to re-tear my top fissure

Edit - I don't use Facebook but I'd join if I did.
AKDad37
Salt Bather