Three days post LIS after dealing with AF for 5 years

LIS recovery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Three days post LIS after dealing with AF for 5 years

Postby AKDad37 » 20 May 2020, 15:48

Officially past the three week mark.

My anal sphincter feels still incredibly tight, like just as if not more so than prior to surgery. I don't understand what is going on.

If my stool wasn't really soft I don't think I would be able to pass a somewhat formed solid BM, and that scares me a lot.

Also I find that when I go to the bathroom I had an instinctual fear of the BM and I clench an tense up.

My Pelvic Floor therapist suggested a squatty potty. Ive been using a small stool to put my feet on for about a week and it helped a little, but I still feel like I'm straining a bit, plus I feel like I might have some hemhoroids flaring up making this even more difficult.

After my morning BM, which was soft and kinda like soft serve ice cream, I think I over wiped and my top fissure bled a bit. Now the entire area is tight and uncomfortable, but not really painful.

Is there going to be a time soon where I feel better?
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Coconutoil » 21 May 2020, 19:29

I can’t imagine not using my squatty potty so the fact that you’re just now using one, you should see improvement. I’m in pain myself but I’m rooting for you and have faith you’re going to heal soon. I’ve been on the nitroglycerin for a week now and that has brought my sphincter back to normal. It was so tight after bm’s but now it’s relaxed all day and I don’t have that fear of going anymore. Are you using any creams? When do you go in for a follow up appointment?
Coconutoil
Salt Bather

Postby AKDad37 » 21 May 2020, 19:59

I'm going in tomorrow because I feel like my sphincter is still extremely tight three weeks after surgery. Also would like to know why my anus feels puffy and swollen, and I have an insane itch on the right side
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby Coconutoil » 21 May 2020, 22:03

Oh ok that’s good you got an appointment. I think it makes sense to just follow up. Let us know how it goes!
Coconutoil
Salt Bather

Postby AKDad37 » 21 May 2020, 22:04

Thanks for posting and being there for me through this, I hope you also feel better too.
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby Coconutoil » 22 May 2020, 20:00

No problem! This pain sucks so much! I really felt for you when you said you made it to 3 weeks and weren’t seeing improvement. I almost threw my phone lol. To finally put yourself through the surgery and not heal right away has to be frustrating. Plus that’s my next option so I’m anxious to see how it goes for you. I’m doing ok, the pain I was feeling that was deeper in and the bleeding from that has stopped in the last few days. So that’s great but I’m feeling pain from this stupid skin tag after going. It hurts to stand for more than 5 minutes. So I don’t know how I can deal with that for too much longer. I’m hoping this is the last of the healing process for me. Anyways, what did they say today at your appt? Are your hemorrhoids internal or external?
Coconutoil
Salt Bather

Postby AKDad37 » 23 May 2020, 01:56

I had my appointment today.

Apparently I'm healing good, the pain and itching is apparently my top fissure. He said that he likes what he's seeing and reassured me that the itching was part of the healing process. He can't even see the incision he made anymore so that healed good, however I told him my concerns about being too tight still and he said he's not concerned quite yet but if at 6 weeks I'm not showing improvement we'll need to discuss what else we can do.

He hit the fissures with silver nitrate sticks in the office to help healing and holy crap that stuff hurts. I'm still in pain on the top fissure 6 hours later.
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby AKDad37 » 23 May 2020, 16:42

Massively horrible regression today. The in office Silver Nitrate totally debilitated me. I'm in excruciating pain almost 24 hours later, bleeding from my bottom fissure after BMs and it still feels like it stings. What the hell did he do to me?! I'm sobbing as I'm writing this
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby Coconutoil » 23 May 2020, 19:19

Hey I’m so sorry. Did you take anything for pain? I just had to read about the silver nitrate on fissure, that’s new to me. Not sure why he did that if you were already healing. If it was done yesterday that has to be the worst of the pain. It should only heal from here. You need to take something for pain so you can let your body heal. Even just Tylenol. I think you need to find a new doctor 6 weeks is too long to wait. The nitroglycerin really helped with my anxiety and fear of having to go to the bathroom because it really relaxed that area within an hour of using it. You can’t heal if you feel tight and force a bm out of that. Where do you live?
Coconutoil
Salt Bather

Postby AKDad37 » 23 May 2020, 19:23

I'm in Alaska.

This doctor is a good guy but I think I'm exhausting him with my anxieties and questions.

He told me that the lower fissure was healing but the Silver Nitrate was used to help it along.

I called him today (he was on call) and he seemed a little frustrated with me, and told me that everything I'm experiencing is normal, even the pain and bleeding, and that I need to stop worrying so much.

My stress is getting out of control. I feel like I wish I wouldn't have even gone to see him yesterday and just waited, I'd be in better shape physically and mentally right now
AKDad37
Salt Bather