Three days post LIS after dealing with AF for 5 years

LIS recovery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Three days post LIS after dealing with AF for 5 years

Postby AKDad37 » 30 Apr 2020, 16:55

Hello all, loooooong time lurker and first time poster.

I just had my LIS surgery Tuesday, after dealing with chronic anal fissures for going on 5 years. I ended up with this lovely problem after surgery to remove a Kidney stone. The Percocet gave me constipation and I tore myself. I dealt with a fissure for years and just "lived with it" until about a month ago I developed a second fissure on the posterior side, so I had one old one on the 6 o'clock side and a new one on the 12 o'clock side.

I was having a hard time with the new one. The pain, blood and spasms were God awful. Despite this Covid 19 crap I went into the CRS and I opted to get LIS. I waited one week and I was fast tracked to surgery.

I will say that I'm on day three and I haven't been well. I had some sort of reaction to the anasthesia medications about 8 hours post surgery, heart racing, water retention in my fingers, palpitations. God I thought I was dying.

After the ER ruled out anything dangerous, they pegged it to a reaction of the drugs wearing off and probably a massive panic attack.

The second day I felt like I needed to use the bathroom and here is where everything went down hill. I got constipated, massively somehow despite drinking lots of water the day after surgery and only eating very little, high fiber foods. The stool wouldn't come out, it was hard, lumpy and I had to strain and force it out. Blood everywhere, pain. It was one of the worst moments of my life.

Ever since that first BM I have felt like hell. My anus feels like it was repeatedly kicked by a mule, an intense, deep soreness. I see a massive bruise right inside my anus on the right side and I have reddish fluid "discharge" almost all day long. Been on the phone with my doctor's assistant on and off and I'm scared to death that I'm going to be constipated again.

My sphincter doesn't feel any different, it's still intensely tight like it was prior to surgery and doesn't seem to want to open up. I've had one very soft small BM since the one from hell and it was difficult to pass and coated with blood.

Is any of this normal or did something go wrong? I am deathly afraid that the horrible hard BM I had damaged me permanently and ruined my surgery.
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: Three days post LIS after dealing with AF for 5 years

Postby Pzgre » 30 Apr 2020, 17:08

I haven't had LIS but i think what you are going through is just a part of the healing process
Which is different for everyone. Keep your hopes up , you will see an improvement each day. Are ypu taking a stool softener? If not, i think it would be a good decision to take one
Pzgre
Salt Bather

Postby AKDad37 » 30 Apr 2020, 20:17

I'm taking Konsyl twice daily and eating barely anything but Oatmeal and leafy greens.

I'm trying to stay positive but this is rough
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby Pzgre » 01 May 2020, 00:14

Try to stay hydrated, drink lots of water since you are taking konsyl. Hope you heal quickly .
Pzgre
Salt Bather

Postby AKDad37 » 02 May 2020, 09:09

Little update.

Friday was a much better day than the rest.

Pain for the most part hasn't been an issue other than that lingering soreness, so I haven't needed to take anything for pain.

I haven't been eating much. Just a bowl of oatmeal around 10am and then a light salad with tiny pieces of chicken at around 2pm. Lost 15 lbs.

My stool has been soft and passing with no pain, or spasms. Something I haven't felt in years, however I think I'm overdoing it on Konsyl and I've been taking a 500mg Magnesium supplement (cut in half twice a day) daily. I think I got too much Magnesium because my afternoon salad hit me hard at Midnight and I had the runs, so I had a late sitz bath, but otherwise feel pretty good so far. Definitely overdoing the Magnesium I think.
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby AKDad37 » 03 May 2020, 10:20

Back to bleeding even with small, soft bowel movements and a nagging, stinging/itching pain on my right side, feels like it's inside the anus
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby AKDad37 » 03 May 2020, 11:39

I'm not understanding what is going on but if I keep going from healing/not healing I'm gonna lose my mind

BM a bit ago. Soft, formed, no blood (not a drop) and just a bit of itching afterwards. Yesterday a small soft Nugget created three blops of blood into the toilet.

I'll take this small victory for sure but this surgery needs to stop playing with my emotions
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby AKDad37 » 04 May 2020, 07:34

I wish I could get back to being regular, but I'm having urges to defecate at weird times (like 4am)

Soft, loose, a tiny bit of blood on the wipe but not on the stool. Sphincter feels insanely tight after I jumped in the shower to clean. Kinda scared that this surgery wasn't successful because I honestly feel more tight than I did before
AKDad37
Salt Bather

Postby Coconutoil » 07 May 2020, 22:21

Hey I’m just here to follow how your healing goes. The no blood sounds like a great sign. I’m dealing with a fissure and need to make an appt next week. I’m scared of potentially needing the surgery. But I’ve been maintaining my bm’s with magnesium powder. If you take too much it will give you the runs. I went through that too. Especially since you’re not eating constipating foods you should probably take a lot less.
Coconutoil
Salt Bather

Postby AKDad37 » 07 May 2020, 23:15

Well I haven't posted in awhile.

My mental health has been awful during this healing process. I have developed an irrational fear of getting constipated so I started to avoid foods. My anxiety is through the roof and my stress took over and created some awful mental health issues. I got a horrible bout of diarrhea for a day and they got worried I might have gotten C Diff. Thankfully the diarrhea stopped but the thought of dealing with C diff and this all kinds exploded my mental state.

My fissures and incision are healing good, according to the doctor, but my mental state is in shambles. I had to get a prescription of Klonopin to help the anxiety
AKDad37
Salt Bather