2 years post-op update

2 years post-op update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

2 years post-op update

Postby TomatoSoup » 08 Aug 2020, 03:19

Hey guys,

I haven't logged into this forum in ages. It's late here so I'll just do a quick recap.

I got LIS in August 2018. Surgery went really smooth. I was one of the rare patients who never needed a pain pill. I just felt sore and tender down there for a couple weeks. I hit a setback at one month post op and had a slight retear. I was super depressed and mad. I used nifedipine for another month but still had random bleeding during bowel movements anywhere from once a week to once every 3 weeks. This lasted for almost a year. Yep.

However, I never had any pain and never strained on the toilet. Around 10-12 months post op it became much less frequent. I also started using a vibrating dilator with lube to stretch out the anus and keep it relaxed. At 12 months I had a followup with a new doctor and he did a full anoscope and said everything looked totally healed. I was so relieved.

I haven't had any issues with bleeding or anything for over a year now. I consider my anus 100% fixed. Not that you asked, but anal sex is probably the ultimate test for an anus and I can finally do that again and it's been great. Just requires plenty of warming up with toys.

Best of luck to everyone here. Who would've thought THIS would be a problem we'd have to deal with in our lives. It was all I thought about for a year before and a year after surgery. I had already tried every other option and decided that surgery had a pretty high success rate so I went for it.
TomatoSoup
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: 2 years post-op update

Postby chachacha » 08 Aug 2020, 08:41

Thanks for coming back to update us on your story. I'm so glad that everything worked out well for you!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby johnnyp433 » 08 Aug 2020, 09:53

Thank you for returning to post an update. I’m 9 weeks post-LIS and I’m still experiencing pain and bleeding with BMs. I’m stuck in the mindset that my body will never heal and it’s encouraging to see that despite your setback, you still healed. The recovery process is just slower than I anticipated.
johnnyp433
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Keystonegal » 16 Mar 2021, 12:55

popping on here to comment. im just shy of 6 weeks post LIS and after having virtually no bleeding post-op I think i had a slight re-tear this AM. There was blood when i wiped. I happen to have a post-op follow up this afternoon and hope that this isnt a big deal.

Im crossing everything that this is a minor setback.
Keystonegal
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby ken2021 » 07 Aug 2021, 09:46

johnnyp433 wrote:Thank you for returning to post an update. I’m 9 weeks post-LIS and I’m still experiencing pain and bleeding with BMs. I’m stuck in the mindset that my body will never heal and it’s encouraging to see that despite your setback, you still healed. The recovery process is just slower than I anticipated.

How are you doing johnny?
ken2021
Salt Bather

Topics: 1