Second LIS

Second LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Second LIS

Postby Suffer » 26 Apr 2021, 20:37

Thank u all for a nice forum. I wish u all well.
Reading your posts helps me through the very hard time of 100% pain frustration.
Does anyone have not one but two Lis?
I got one in 2019 without any success. Since the AF is still there consider 2. Lis, but absolutely terrified; what if the 2. Lis doesn’t help???
Suffer
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Second LIS

Postby Suxsomuch2 » 30 Apr 2021, 23:01

I'm facing the same thing as you. I read posts where people said their docs checked "anal pressure" before deciding to proceed. My CRS didn't even mention that, did yours? Before going for a second LIS i would definitely ask about it. Also, did you try botox yet? I have not, but from what i've heard that's a better next step after a failed LIS than another one. Just went to a new guy for a second opinion and he mentioned a "silver nitrate" thing too . . . before going for a second LIS, i suggest exploring all other options and a second CRS.
Cancerous polyps May 2018
Confirmed polyps removed July 2019
Extreme pain November 2020
Diagnosed with AF January 2021
LIS February 2021
Not healed
Suxsomuch2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Suffer » 02 May 2021, 09:45

I had BOTOX twice and also used nitro befor the 1.lis. Now using diltiazem and waiting for colonoscopy. After the failed lis I was referred for second opinion. The new CRS found no signs of previous lis on ultra sound, however did find the incision place. Something was done. I was told that no one is currently measuring sphincter tone. Thus the conclusion is now that although I have a normal sphincter pressure , a 2. Lis can be done with a 20 % risk of incontinence and 15% risk of one more unsuccessful lis. Currently I can not accept those high risks … trying to avoid magnesia, eating soup and vegetable at continue to re-tear… And have no idea what to do, since I am soooo afraid of the side effects.
Suffer
Fibre Addict

Postby Suffer » 02 May 2021, 09:45

Have u ever trained levorag gel?
Suffer
Fibre Addict

Postby Suxsomuch2 » 04 May 2021, 22:16

I have not heard of levorag gel. But I'm a bit of a newbie. Jumped right to my LIS after only a few months of suffering based on CRS's advice. Didn't try anything before it except Diltiazem and sitz baths. I was sooooooo disappointed when it didn't work because i was told there was a 95% success rate. That first CRS told me the next step after failed LIS was a colonoscopy to check for underlying cause of the failure to heal. But before doing the colonoscopy, I went to a second CRS for a second opinion and he said he thought a colonscopy would be a waste of time. In his opinion, there didn't have to be an "underlying cause". Its likely a fissure is just a fissure. Now - its important to note that I'm in my 50s and I had a colonoscopy only a few years ago. If you are young and you've never had one, that could be a whole different story. I am so sorry both of us are in this terrible situation and I hope you can hang on and find a solution.
Cancerous polyps May 2018
Confirmed polyps removed July 2019
Extreme pain November 2020
Diagnosed with AF January 2021
LIS February 2021
Not healed
Suxsomuch2
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Rich44 » 08 May 2021, 00:22

I feel for you guys! I would definitely recommend not only a second, but third opinion here. A 2nd LIS is certainly risky. And I have had an anal manometry strength/pressure test (I broke the balloon by the way!) so we knew I could handle the incision. But seriously, don't settle for any CRS. You need to see a top one now.
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Suffer » 08 May 2021, 02:24

@Suxsomuch2 u could not describe the disappointment after a failed LIS better. I feel absolutely the same. My CRS told me there was almost 100% success rate and now almost 2 yeas later …
my colonoscopy is appointed on may 19. I am soooo afraid of this procedure and even more afraid of more Afs and even deeper re-tearing after.
Last time I had an UL of the inner sphincter I got 3 more Afs and it took 4 weeks to get to the current stage with only one AF. I am 42 and have never had a colonoscopy before, and my farther was diagnosed with colon cancer 2 year ago. I suggest it would be wrong not to have one, especially in the light of a chronic condition …
Suffer
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 08 May 2021, 09:41

I had a colonoscopy at 35 and another at 46. They are great because they doctor can see everything. Much better than not having one. My brother had a polyp removed at 41. Had he not had one it could have developed into cancer. I had to have a colonoscopy because of pain in my abdomen and it had nothing to do with the AF. I was just nervous to clean out the night before because of the irritation going to the bathroom caused the AF. But it wasn't that bad and trust me - you'll live.
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Suffer » 08 May 2021, 09:57

@Rich44
I hope I get all the possible analgesics. It is appointed as GA colonoscopy. I just need to rule out everything before the final accept of my life with chronic pain and bleeding.
I am a women, and at very high risk to get incontinence after the 2.LIS . I would say , if so I would not be able to work anymore , since I work with people every day , and being incontinent is a huge issue for me. My cultural background does not allowed to be incontinent either… so I have no other options … the only one thing , which is positive, that the last CRS says that I would become more relaxed in the inner sphincter with age , and I hope this would allow the fissure to heal , unless I would die before due to pain and terrible distress …
Suffer
Fibre Addict

Postby Rich44 » 08 May 2021, 10:21

Where do you live?
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist