LIS recovery questions

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS recovery questions

Postby Guest » 09 Feb 2009, 07:49

HI Dowgirl,

I haven't had LIS but I have had other anal surgeries and it can cause spasming throughout your pelvic floor. That is why they always wait to release you until you urinate because an injury in one area can cause spasming in others. When I get cramping during my period I also get cramps in my anus-like a charlie horse in the rectum since everything is interconnected.

I think doctors do a disservice when they give the best case scenarios for healing. Maybe it helps to promote positive thinking which can help healing but if you don't heal that quickly (and many don't) it can add insult to injury. Tab is right-although you have had LIS you still have a fissure to heal from.

I like A&D ointment as a barrier ointment. It is in the baby aisle-regular formula not the zinc kind.

Also you might want to consider magnesium supplementation. That can help relax the muscles down there. 200 mg to start.

Hope your appt goes well and welcome to our forum!

Postby Deleted User 5 » 09 Feb 2009, 11:32

Yes, like I said, I really don't know what the neosporin would do unless you have signs of an infection. And listen to the females about the spasming pelvic floor before me, they have more experience there than I would! It is persistent, though, a urologist might be the trick(?)
As for your healing time/rate, HA! Some people can go back to work in a couple days, but I certainly couldn't have, I needed a week and a half, so don't feel like there is something wrong with you in that respect. My CRS said 2-3 weeks to recover, it seems to vary wildly!
Deleted User 5

Postby Dowgirl » 09 Feb 2009, 21:23

Hello to all!
I had my one month re-check today and my CRS said the fissure is 95% healed, and that I've been experiencing the 'healing itch'. I asked him about the spasms, and he said that since they are diminishing, then I shouldn't worry unless they haven't disappeared in the next two weeks. But, I still feel sore! It feels like a carpet burn on my...how do I put this delicately?...pucker. So, does this mean I'm healing from the fissure but still sore from the surgery? Can a fissure heal this quickly? I forgot to ask the CRS...
He also said Neosporin was fine, but I think I'll switch to the A&D ointment (thanks Tootie) and start some mag supplements. He didn't have much to say about my other issues (to be expected, it's not his area of expertise), so my next step will be seeking an appointment with a urologist.
Thank you so much for being so welcoming! I will be gone all this week, but will stop by in a few days with an update, and to check out all the other great posts!
Dowgirl

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 5 » 10 Feb 2009, 07:59

95% healed sounds great! Oh, my, a carpet burn on your bum! Sounds horrible!
Yes, do keep in touch and let us know how it is all progressing in your healing!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 10 Feb 2009, 09:09

I relate to carpet bum burn that is exactly what my tag area felt like last week .... Image
You have fissurotomy carpet burn too so double the OUCH !
Raw wounds Dowgirl Image I think that is what you are describing and that takes time to heal :roll: My GP told me yesterday that it will take 6 - 8 weeks for my tag wound to heal up, I would think internally a little longer Image
This is great news Dowgirl Image

Postby Guest » 10 Feb 2009, 10:43

That is super news. That makes the pain a bit more tolerable when you know at least you are making some progress. That is a great way to describe the pain-so accurate. So unfortunately true. Hang in there. You are doing great!

Postby pinky » 10 Feb 2009, 11:58

Dowgirl,thats great news your fissure has healed 95% already.
I had LIS with tag removal almost 5months back and i do feel good compared to before.i still dont feel 100% healed but im happy.
Hope you heal soon
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby Dowgirl » 27 Feb 2009, 13:41

Hello to everyone!
Just wanted to send a quick update. I feel that my fissure pain is completely gone (I'm about 7 weeks post-op). I recently moved cross country and had a bout with the flu, so my diet is all messed up right now. But even with those difficulties, I feel soooo much better and would encourage anyone to consider LIS. The only issue I have is my continued pelvic floor spasms, and some soreness in my musles (bum area) after a poo. But, I have NO fissure pain, and am able to resume many activies (walking, sitting comfortably, etc).
I do want to stress to anyone who is about to have the surgery to be very careful with their diet. That was most important for me. And that there may be a point when you feel like the surgery didn't help and you'll never heal; healing can be very gradual (it was for me, it seemed).
Best of luck to everyone!
Dowgirl
Dowgirl

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 5 » 27 Feb 2009, 13:54

Image Image Image Image
We LOVE good news, way to go Dowgirl! Sorry about the flu, at least it isn't a fissure!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 28 Feb 2009, 07:05

I like your good news too Dowgirl, makes me smile !! Image
Remember it takes a very long time to regain the strength in that delicate area - Keep doing all the right things for some time yet Image
Heres to continued healing Image