hello

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

hello

Postby redyellowblue » 01 Sep 2009, 13:11

I have never been constipated in my life. I have never had hemorrhoids. I have always had a healthy diet. I gave birth 7 months ago and since then everything has changed. I have had extremely painful bowel movements since giving birth to the point where every time I'm on the toilet, I have to have someone there with me in case I faint because I tend to black out from the pain. I do not strain, I drink at least 80 oz of water daily. Oatmeal is a staple. I've been on a fat-free and extremely high fiber diet since giving birth. My poop is always like pudding yet it still hurts, and I don't understand that. I exercise regularly, I don't use toilet paper after BM instead I wash up in the shower. I've done everything under the sun including meditation and relaxing strategies on the toilet, to try to clear this up and it just gets worse. Strange thing is, I don't bleed during BM so I'm wondering if its really a fissure at all?
Suppositories hurt to insert no matter how much I relax.
Now, about 4 months ago, I went to the doctor. (The first thing I looked at when the doctor came in was the size of his fingers, and boy, I have never been so happy to see skinny fingers in my life, lol) However, I was so scared and tense that the doctor couldn't even put his pinky inside. He gave me lidocaine ointment to put on the outside of the anus (like that would do any good.)
I have not been to the doctor since then out of fear. I'm so afraid to get a rectal examination, much less a anoscope examination. I think they will suggest surgery since I've had this problem for so long.
redyellowblue

Topics: 4

Re: hello

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 Sep 2009, 13:49

Welcome to the board, RYB! (Hey aren' those the three primary colors of light?)
It is very possible you have a fissure, the symptoms sound right, but without proper exam you cannot know for certain. You will have to have an exam to find out, but it *may* be possible to do the exam under anesthesia -- and the right CRS might be willing to go ahead and perform LIS while you are out if he sees it is a fissure.
If you have had this for seven months, and it is a fissure, it is chronic and the longer you wait, the harder it may be to heal due to scar tissue that forms as the fissure tries to heal and retears, repeatedly.
Some fissures don't bleed, BTW!
Now, about the water and fiber. I doubt anyone here would disagree that you do NOT need to bulk up and over-do it on the fiber, just get your RDA for fiber.
As for the water, I feel you only need a few glasses a day as long as you are getting water from other sources too, like food! I personaly don;t believe humans need 80 extra ounces of water on top of their regulr diet...40 or 50 tops. Unless you are really obese... Your body is only going to assign "X" amount of water to send to your colon, the rest will go elsewhere or be excereted. It is NOT going to send excess water to your colon! Just the same old regular amount it always has all your life.
As for BM consistency, toothpaste consistency is what most people strive for. I eat oatmeal everyday, too BTW! My fissure lasted for seven months and then I was READY for surgery, which healed me.
Deleted User 5

Postby derryboy » 01 Sep 2009, 14:26

The first thing I looked at when the doctor came in was the size of his fingers...... me too.... the doctor couldn't even put his pinky inside...... me too....
in the uk anoscope examinations can be done under G/A, its your body, ur pain, demand what you want, if you cant let them touch with a D.R.E ask for a G/A, then if theres a fissure, tell them b4 you want L.I,S,.
derryboy
King Fissure

Topics: 20

Postby busymom » 02 Sep 2009, 09:48

RYB - I can relate to you since I got my AF after the birth of my first child too. It's horrible to have to deal with that excruciating pain, plus recovering from childbirth, breastfeeding, and a darling newborn that needs all your attention! Mine eventually healed after a month or so and stayed that way for a few years. Since then, it's been an on-again, off-again cycle.
I would say that you should go back to your doctor again. Did you tell him about the severity of your pain? Most drs. are aware of the significant pain with an AF and will do their best to minimize making it worse. I always take ibuprofen before I go just in case they need to check things out. You definitely want to get this thing fixed, especially if you are planning on having more children. It would be better if it could heal for a good year or more before going through childbirth again.
Be careful not to get too much fiber in your diet! If I overdo it, I pay for it the next day in a painful way. Keep us updated! This group is SO helpful and the emotional support that everyone gives is a tremendous help. :D
busymom
Salt Bather

Topics: 8