Help. I can't do this much longer

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Help. I can't do this much longer

Postby Corsi » 26 Jan 2010, 15:03

I wonder if you are overdoing the fibre thing, and is it good to have 2 oranges?
Do you drink enough? Are your BMs soft?
Corsi
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby afugh!! » 26 Jan 2010, 18:31

Ya too much fiber can actually harden your stool.20-35 grams of fibers is what you should aim for.
afugh!!
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby Nebelwerfer_ » 26 Jan 2010, 22:28

cherylk wrote:Rob,
I have not had LIS. But I think some people here have had spasms after LIS as it takes awhile for the fissure to heal. Have you ever had anal rectal manometry test? You could have trouble with other muscles in the rectum besides the sphincter that was cut. That was my prob--I had pelvic floor dysfunction whereby the muscles were not relaxed properly. I hope you feel better soon! Do you live in the UK?

man, i think i have something like that. It's like my sphincter just doesn't work the way it should. I know that this is an unorthodox solution, but I go and have a smoke and then my sphincter is relaxed and I can go poop correctly.
Nebelwerfer_
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby cherylk » 27 Jan 2010, 07:03

It could be other muscles besides the sphincter that are tight. Could you have the test? Do you live in the UK?
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Rob » 27 Jan 2010, 14:14

I try and take diazepam before I go to the toilet. I might have to start smoking.
I saw the consultant yesterday and he wants me back in for examination and more surgery on the 11th Feb. He thinks they may have not cut the muscle enough.
I also explained that the best I felt was when I had a bug and had diarhea, so he has put me on 4 Movicol sachets a day.
I haven't seen any great effect yet.
Can you eat too much fibre ?
I have been adding insoluble bran and it increases the bulk and my stools are softer. If I miss out bran, I really notice it. I drink lots of water as well.
Rob
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby chrishell » 28 Jan 2010, 11:59

I am not sure what others if others have had this problem, but I did find I was taking in too much fiber. My CRS told me to back off of fiber supplements if I am eating all my fiber requirements through food. It got to the point where every time I had to use the bathroom, it was like trying to push a bowling ball through a pinhead. I have had to stop fiber supplements because, though it was soft, it was still larger than my body wanted to deal with.
I now am just eating fruits and veggies that are high in fiber. I drink about 80 ounces of water a day and take softners.
I understand what you mean about the bug, I had the flu a couple of weeks ago and it was the easiest two days I have had with the bm in a long time! Image
chrishell
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby William » 29 Jan 2010, 06:04

I think I was getting too much fiber as well until recently. I was forcing myself to get around 35 grams, even though I wasn't getting eating that many calories. Now I worry less about how many grams that I get than the fact that I'm getting fiber whenever I eat something. And my BMs have been much better since I made the following changes:
(1) For breakfast, I eat a cup of Raisin Bran with some SunMaid Fruit Bits added and a thing of Fiber One yogurt. Raisin Bran seems to be better than other brands, since I tried another kind of Bran cereal and it wasn't as good (for my BMs, that is). Also, having the yogurt seemed to make a difference.
(2) Substituting fruits for much of the "dry" fiber (Tricuits, etc.) that I was eating for snacks in the afternoon.
(3) Taking my stool softener right before bed instead of right after dinner.
I made these changes all at the same time, so I'm not sure how much each helped. But BMs have been better lately, so I'm sticking to all of them.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby chrishell » 29 Jan 2010, 09:08

I know what you mean. My meals all center around eating food that is high in fiber and I also try to make sure I eat food with potassium and magnesium. Potassium to help the muscles work properly and magnesium to naturally move water into the bowels.
I never thought I would learn soooo much about the food I eat! Image
chrishell
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Rob » 30 Jan 2010, 12:33

I've had another 2 days of the run so it looks like my body never got rid of it last week. My body is so run down.
I haven't eaten for 2 days.
I'm actually terrified to reduce the amount of fibre I take.
I guess I should try it.
My surgeon wants me to take 2 Movicol at night and 2 in the morning. Shouldn't it be 2 at night and 2 after breakfast or lunch ?
He's also spoke about putting a flap over my fissure
Rob
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Fissulyna » 10 Feb 2010, 00:02

ROB - it is possible 100 % - they did not cut my sphincter enough first time around and it actually "grew back together" in a way !
So I had a second LIS and have no problems any more KTW !!! If your CRS decides to do a flap - make sure he does a LIS too !!!
Best of luck !!!
PS: If you do not have a problem with a fiber (it does not make your poop huge or hard), than you do not need to change anything IMO
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61