Just to say hi

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Just to say hi

Postby stuckOnHold » 18 May 2010, 01:54

I've been suffering from this fissure since the start of the year (5 months at time of writing). Pretty miserable with it.
I've had ups and downs, moments where I thought I was healing, then relapses.
For me luckily it's not complete agony, (I've read some of the things on this board) and I've never passed blood. I just get this uncomfortable prickly, sharp pain when passing a bad BM, or if I sit down for too long. I get a general discomfort feeling most of the day. For a few days this wouldn't have been too bad but having gone on so long now it's the continual discomfort without any definite signs of healing that are exhausting me emotionally...
In bad spells, I'll have a nasty swelling feeling in my bum. It'll be really 'full' feeling, usually when this gets worse it becomes pretty painful. Thankfully this usually goes after a few days.
I've been off work for a while. Going to try and ease myself back into it but it's hard. Sitting down all day! Don't know what's worse though, that, or the thought that I'm just wasting all this time and my career prospects for the sake of my arsehole(!)
I've been to see the colorectal surgeon, said it would heal. He prescribed me Diltiazem. Used this for 4 weeks, then my GP switched me onto Nitro. Been at it for 5 weeks now, saw some slight improvement up until last week when I had a re-tear. Damn.
Really really really hoping I can heal, just takes so damn long! I find it infuriating that the human body, capable of some amazing things really can't heal itself a tiny little tear. I often wonder how people throughout history coped with this without meds/surgery, guess they just had to bear it for life!
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Just to say hi

Postby cherylk » 18 May 2010, 05:46

Stuck,
I don't think that I welcomed you. I agree--dealing with an AF just sucks, pure and simple!! What helped me heal was getting on an A/D which I recently stopped taking after 1 1/2 years. Also adding Benefiber to my diet helped immensely because I was having trouble vacillating between being too constipated and being too loose. Once I put my faith in the A/D, my psychiatrist, and Benefiber everything started really improving. I think the mental aspect of suffering from an AF is often worse than the physical part!!! And I also think the mental aspect is crucial to healing. One of my CRS's also told me that he thinks there is a mental aspect to having an AF. Good luck!!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby stuckOnHold » 18 May 2010, 11:54

Hi Cheryl,
Yeah I've been wondering just how much the mental attitude affects it.. I mean my doc at the mo tells me not to focus on it because you can make yourself ill if you believe it. It's hard though, not despairing when it's been going on so long. I mean I really want to have the best possible outlook but it can take a person of monk-like mental discipline to be that stoic!
Okay, maybe not that much- people I know and look up to carry their own burdens with grace. I'm too much of a worrier to be like that, but I'm trying.
How did your outlook change? Was it purely down to your antidepressants? (I'm guessing that's what A/D is)
I'm not sure I want to go that far just yet but I need to get over this mentally. Do you think it would slow down the healing?
Oh and also, does the benefiber get your BM's softer or just more regular? Thx
stuckOnHold
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby cherylk » 18 May 2010, 14:42

Hey stuck,
I assume the you live in the U.S.? I was certainly not FOR taking an A/D, anti-depressant. My Mayo doc wanted me to take one because he said that my anxiety was paralyzing me (from the A/F). I wanted to try talk therapy instead. But interestingly my GP recommended that I take one also.
When one is in the midst of the jungle, it is hard to see the forrest from the trees. And my Mayo GI doc told me he couldn't help me with my digestive issues until I got my anxiety under control. So, I reluctantly decided to try an A/D. His idea turned out to be a brilliant suggestion. I don't think taking an A/D would slow down the healing, just the opposite as one's mood improves.
I would say the benefiber made me more regular and not vacillate so much between both extremes with the BM's. Feel free to send me a PM if you have further questions and GOOD LUCK!!
cherylk
VIP

Postby StevePain » 18 May 2010, 15:07

Hey stuck,
having a fissure definitely affected me mentally, I have what I would call emotional roller coaster days, some days i'm virtually pain free and with this comes a manic high as a kite mood, but other days i'm in pain and then comes the depression when i'm as low as I can get, the docs say I can't have any A/D's since they won't treat the underlying problem so it's a catch 22 situation for me, I guess you just have to remain positive throughout and get your mindset right, I try and visualize my fissure using my mind to promote healing and also pray, you could try using positive affirmations (which is what I use) as well (tell your mind that your already healed) keep repeating over and over, or you could say yippee i've beaten my fissure but you have to keep repeating this thing in the mind over and over, don't say things like "i'm gonna beat this fissure" say "i've already won" that's a positive affirmation, like other boardies on here we're all willing to try anything..
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 18 May 2010, 16:10

I think you are on the right track with that thinking, Steve!! Doing anything that promotes a person feeling in control, instead of feeling that the fissure is in control. I remember my psychiatrist used to tell me that the goal for me was to be able to control my digestive system (and butt), not have my digestive system (and butt) control me. I don't see him very often now, but I used to e-mail him when I felt it was necessary!! (And he would always respond!) Image
cherylk
VIP