Meat and Fatty foods

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Meat and Fatty foods

Postby edward_adams » 01 Aug 2007, 15:06

So I know when you have an AF you should cut down on both meat, fatty/fried foods and sugar.
I've done this, but does anyone know why you should?
Last edited by Anonymous on 01 Aug 2007, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
edward_adams
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: Meat and Fatty foods

Postby Guest » 01 Aug 2007, 15:41

Well, I am a vegetarian (almost vegan, really), so of course I am going to say it is healthier for you. I know high amounts of protein can be hard to digest and don't pass through the gut as quickly which can led to harder stools. Sugar causes inflammation and saturated fats are not good for arteries but how they affect AF I can't really say.
In general, the healthier you eat, the better your body's healing abilities can function.

Postby edward_adams » 01 Aug 2007, 16:16

I'm not a big meat eater, and at one point in time I was a vegetarian. However when I met wife that changed.
I find the vegan thing pretty hard to do.
Sugar cause the inflamation in the AF?
edward_adams
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 5 » 01 Aug 2007, 16:36

Sugar will cause foods to pass through your body too quickly, and that may interfere with the proper amount of water absorption.
I think meats can just plain out cause hard stools, and some meats will not digest properly and cause problems as they slide by the AF. Just like peanuts, which should be avoided, because they can do damage if they nick the fissure during their passage.
Stick with soft foods as much as you can.
Of course, for most of us, some meat is essential...just not as much as we may be used to...chew it, and everything, well!
Last edited by Deleted User 5 on 01 Aug 2007, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 5

Postby happyass » 01 Aug 2007, 18:34

i just have one word for you now edward:
macrobiotics.
enjoy!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby edward_adams » 02 Aug 2007, 05:31

Yeah, I looked into that website you link to.
To be honest I am very interested, but it also requires alot of changes.
edward_adams
Salt Bather

Postby happyass » 02 Aug 2007, 08:09

well, it looks overwhelming. but with anything new you try, you want to go into it slowly and explore a few things at a time.
i like to think of myself going in the direction of macrovegetarian.
i take principles from macrobiotics and apply them (i am not even 30% close as i haven't grasped the cooking styles, the seasons and how they fit in, and understanding the yin/yang concepts, etc.) but also trying to keep vegetarian friendly. mostly organic and without putting refined items in my body - this is hard to do while traveling for work; at least for me it is.
the great thing about macrobiotics is that it doesn't make you abandon fish and chicken. or meat for that matter. you want to have organic. you want to have as white meat as you can - hence chicken and fish are the best options. and if you need to, you can have meat, as long as it is lean and very sparingly - and not the main portion of your meal.
however, you can also explore other great meat alternative such as tempeh and seitan and veggie meatballs, hot dogs, sausage (i love this the best as a substitute in my lasagna or spaghetti or baked ziti).
other than that, there are a lot of great things to come from macrobiotics and one of the hardest ones is incorporating miso soup in your diet if you are not used to it. the good thing is that there are many types of miso soup bases and many ways to make it. i don't make it using dashi as i think that is nasty. but authentic japanese miso soup has dashi. i just can't do it.
if you use salt, stop. get sea salt. or better yet, find some gomasio - this is sea salt with seasame seeds. it's very tasty and adds flavor where you normally use salt.
i also love tekka. it's a ground condiment that adds a dark rich flavor and looks like grinded coffee beans but very soft. it is tasty over rice, in soups, on pasta, or even steamed veggies.
also, it helps if you take an approach using the principles of macrobiotics and finding more down to earth, american equivalents to help you make the transition instead of overloading with all these asian ingredients. of course, unless if you want to.
modern day macrobiotics is a great new paperback book by simon brown.
the macrobiotic way by michio kushi is a great theory/practice book that started it all in the us. it is old but in reprint but gives you a very strict regimen history and ideas of how to incorporate it. i go back to this book for inspiration although i don't recommend it to convert over night. it takes time. but the book does well in explaining important principles and history.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby edward_adams » 02 Aug 2007, 14:25

Well, I went out and bought a bunch of food this afternoon and goiung to experiment a bit.
One of the good things of where I live is that we get a box of organic fruits and veggies delivered to us one a week.
edward_adams
Salt Bather