The Diltiazem Itch?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: The Diltiazem Itch?

Postby Guest » 24 Sep 2010, 15:50

Hey Dg,
you really are an inspiration to all of us who are scared about Lis. I'm scheduled for skin tag removal and Lis soon. It's good to see you're doing well.
I agree with Steve though, there are some who heal with the ointment and everyone has to make that step on their own to have lis if every thing else isn't working,lol
I know I did and it has been my last resort after trying everything else.

Postby cherylk » 24 Sep 2010, 18:29

If creams and ointments helped no one, I don't think any doctors would use them at all.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby dgater » 01 Oct 2010, 10:58

Hello to all current sufferers and well wisher.What a great group of souls.You all helped me so much.Well, Its been 19 days since the successful tag removal/ LIS and I cant even explain the change in my attitude about life.
Dont get me wrong here,the creams WILL work for some I am sure.As far as a Dr prescribing creams that dont/wont work thats a bit simplified.Drs prescribe ALL kinds of meds that dont work.I am surely not minimizing your opinion at all and yes,for mild cases nonsurg would be proper but if you read the posts here there seems to be a lot more on the 7-10 pain scale that have suffered for months on end.I am a nurse and from what I have read here the biggest holdup for not having surgery seems to be fear.I used the medical statistics to decide.LIS 93% success vs Botox (temp). Peace
dgater
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 01 Oct 2010, 11:41

Hey dg,
How long did you have your fissure? I'm scheduled for the same procedure that you had in a few days? Good to see it has been positive for you.

Postby dgater » 01 Oct 2010, 18:13

Well over a year,at least,dawn.Yes, very positive.I guess thats why I lobby for the procedure.I have a new found empathy for the chronic pain sufferers.I was really nervous about phrases like "anal leakage".OMG I also read some horror stories that sounded like botched surgery.I think some of that could be misdiagnoses.eg Crohns
dgater
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 02 Oct 2010, 08:45

Dg,
hope you don't mind, I asked you some questions in the other thread you have about your lis. I don't want to hi-jack this one, but I understand you having fears before the surgery, and It's good to see another positive experience.

Postby Philber » 05 Oct 2010, 09:08

It is important to rely on the available medical information and accumulated knowledge when making health decisions, rather than using random anecdotal evidence which may or may not be supported by the facts.
For acute fissures, 80-90% will heal without surgery. For chronic fissures, 40% will heal without surgery. These numbers suggest that it is well worth trying conservative treatments before opting for surgery. This is the information that doctors use to prescribe non-surgical therapies such as diltiazem.
It is not surprising that this forum is mostly populated by people for whom conservative treatments have been unsuccessful. Those people are not healed, so they spend more time looking for information and alternatives. It is to be expected that forums such as this will be filled with people who are most adversely affected.
It would be a big mistake to take the stories that appear on this forum and conclude that non-surgical therapies are not effective. The stories on this forum, while compelling, are not a scientific sample and are not statistically representative of the population that suffers from anal fissures.
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby dgater » 06 Oct 2010, 11:12

Well said, Philber.I do agree.You sound like a very intelligent person.One must remember, this is still the internet.Critical thinking combined with empirical evidence, I believe, is how one must decide their route.
dgater
Fibre Addict

Postby Philber » 06 Oct 2010, 16:14

Thanks dgater. The internet is obviously a wonderful thing, and this forum in particular has been tremendous for me and many others. But as you say, one must still use critical thinking and evidence to make decisions.
I have many friends who are doctors. The internet has been a mixed bag for most of them. While their patients are much, much more informed than ever before, often times the 'information' their patients get from the internet is inaccurate, misleading or incomplete.
Philber
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

The Diltiazem Itch?

Postby ficelle1 » 15 Nov 2012, 07:44

It's been two weeks since I started the Diltiazem (twice a day pea sized amount) and Xylocaine. My pharmacist gave me little finger gloves to put the Diltiazem inside on the fissure. I am doing all the right things... Benefibre, Colace 5 times per day, lots of water and fresh fruits and vegetables. No toilet paper. Baby Wipes and wash cloths. Blow dryer. The itch and pain is excruciating. The itch wakes me up at night. My poor bottom is pooched outwards and I am talking to people through clenched teeth. I can't even think.
Am I allergic to the Diltiazem?? Is there another medication I could suggest to my doctor? Image
Thanks!
ficelle1

Topics: 2