Booked for LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Booked for LIS

Postby Guest » 24 Jan 2011, 12:56

Good luck with your lis:)

Postby scaredy_butt » 24 Jan 2011, 13:17

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes. I am still waiting to hear what time my surgery is, for some reason the hospital hasn't sent the schedule to the office yet! I've been getting things ready, I've got some pads, some restoralax, a couple of enemas in case they want me to do that as a prep. I also bought some Floradix, it's a liquid iron preparation from the health food store. It's non-constipating, that's why I like it! I haven't had any luck finding the balneol, does anyone know what store carries it? Apparently I will be having a general anesthetic but since the procedure is so short, will they actually intubate me or just use some othe form of airway? I'm starting to get a little nervous now. We had a birthday party for my son yesterday so I was focused on that and now that it's over I'm getting a bit nervous. Not too bad though. I just want to get it over with really and get on with life. I think I will go get my legs waxed today, I know, just another form of torture, but it's nice to not have to worry about being having hairy legs in the OR! Lol. I will likely post again today as time draws near and I will certainly post ASAP after surgery tomorrow to let you all know how I am doing and how things went. Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers! It really helps to know there are such caring people who understand what I am going through and are genuinely concerned for my well being even though we have never met. This is a special little forum!
scaredy_butt
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby scaredy_butt » 24 Jan 2011, 13:19

Pardon the spelling and grammar mistakes in my last post. I'm typing on my phone and it's a bit tricky to edit!
scaredy_butt
Salt Bather

Postby scaredy_butt » 24 Jan 2011, 13:29

I really hope the Dr. prescribes me Toradol for afterwards. Ive had it before and it really works well for me. Happyass, have you had any incontinence since your surgery? And have your BMs been like "I need to get to the toilet NOW!" or did you not have that sense of urgency? At my consult back in July my surgeon said that he has done the procedure many, many times and that none of his patients have ever reported any incontinence, even during recovery. Let's hope I'm not the first. I thinks that's my biggest worry. The pain I can handle since it's short lived but I REALLY don't want to be incontinent of anything, even gas, once it's done.
scaredy_butt
Salt Bather

Postby happyass » 24 Jan 2011, 13:49

re: intubating....i had general anesthesia too and altho i wasn't intubated, the anesthesiologist did mention she was going to have something in my mouth to make sure the airway was clear during the procedure as a precaution. i didn't feel much post surgery but the following 48 hours i did feel like i had a very light sore throat feeling. nothing bad.
re: incontinence for happy: farts and BMs were under control. i did buy the diapers as a precaution but also i was worried if i would have heavy bleeding. i can't say that i have experienced anything really getting away from my bum without my control ever.
finally after the 72 hours of no BM, i had one that morning and that one took its sweet time. however, i also had another BM that Saturday night and i was in the middle of cleaning dishes (after eating my first non-pureed dinner) and well, i did have the sensation of the BM making its announcement that it wanted to take a swim in the toilet pool a couple of times and by the time i got to the toilet, it's like my body just sent the signal that the BM had clearance to dive in the pool! it happened so fast and because it had been announcing its visit a couple of times, by the third chime i felt immediate pressure and i didn't want to hold back so i let it go and it was so quick!
so for the record, i have been having 2 BMs a day since Saturday. on sunday, they happened at 9 pm and 1120 pm. both were good too. the BMs on sunday, i was more in tune with the signals my body was giving me so there weren't any close calls.
here in the USA, i have seen the balneol in the CVS and whole foods (i think). i have not bought that product.
try to eat light for the remainder of the day. if you can tolerate an enema, it wouldn't be a bad idea (if you are not horribly sore/in distress in the bum area) to get one in tonight.
i had to do one the night before and the morning of, so i prepared two days ahead for the morning of one to see how long it would take me to release the enema.
talk about hairy legs, i had a hairy butt and well, she (the CRS) shaved it! LOL! i am glad i wasn't awake for that or to see all my toys hanging out while my legs were in stir-ups.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby scaredy_butt » 24 Jan 2011, 14:10

Just got my time. I have to check in at 130pm, surgery at 250. Tomorrow morning is going to be torture. The receptionist said the Dr. should have told me if there was a prep, which I don't think he did, but she said just to be on the safe side do one tonight and one in the morning. No problem. I think I would have done it anyways just to make sure there is no stool in there to cause an infection. I am not in pain at all these days. Even so, I'm not really second guessing the surgery as I know these things can rear their ugly heads at anytime.
scaredy_butt
Salt Bather

Postby scaredy_butt » 24 Jan 2011, 14:12

Nothing to eat or drink after midnight except for clear fluids up to 3 hours before. I might starve! For all of you east coasters, you'll probably be sleeping by the time I'm done and feeling well enough to post!
scaredy_butt
Salt Bather

Postby StevePain » 24 Jan 2011, 14:17

When I went in to have my LIS I wasn't given a bowel prep, The pre-op assessment DR asked me if I'd opened my bowels and if I had then that was all I needed to do, it's because the surgery is basically just inside the rectum and not any further up, if anything, there will only be a bit of fecal matter loaded in the rectum which will be removed during the procedure.
Best of luck tomorrow.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45