Here goes nothing! LIS & Skin Tag Removal - Thursday Feb 10

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Here goes nothing! LIS & Skin Tag Removal - Thursday Feb 10

Postby cherylk » 11 Feb 2011, 03:14

Hey!
Not all "pensioners" use those grabby things!! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby sphinctersaurus » 11 Feb 2011, 03:46

Hey cherylk,
I saw in your post that you used to have Endo. Was it very painful for you? Mine was asypmtomatic, but extensive. There is actually still some left in there, on the bowel, because it was very deep and was going to be tricky/dangerous to remove.
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby cherylk » 11 Feb 2011, 08:02

Sphinct,
Yes, it was painful, but only on my left side and only at a certain time of the month. I was diagnosed via lap twice, but the docs never burnt any off.
My husband's niece has it now, and they removed one of her ovaries with a cyst a few years ago, and she is trying hard now to get pg using in vitro, shots, etc. with no success. It's heartbreaking for her. Many people with endo have infertility problems. I used to get the endo magazine. Not sure if they still publish it or not. When one becomes a "pensioner," those types of problems go away, and I was forced to "wait it out."
cherylk
VIP

Postby sphinctersaurus » 11 Feb 2011, 17:53

Cherylk,
That really is heartbreaking. After my op I was told that if I wanted children, it was "now or never".
Recovery Update:
Well, I'm heading towards 48 hours since the op, and things are feeling pretty good back there! I had my first bowel movement this morning ... sorta. After all these months of being in charge, my butt (and its various contents) have gotten a little shy! Very little of any thing actually made an exit and I really still feel like I need to go. I think it's a bit soft, and I am getting some leakage ... not bad though. I was thinking that I might try taking less Movicol to try to firm it up just a little bit.
I'm not really getting any pain now, unless I sit too quickly or something like that. I don't anticipate needing pain relief any stronger than Paracetamol or maybe Diclofenac now. I took Tramadol that first night though, and it really did do the trick. The BM was just a tiny bit painful at the very beginning and then fine - no discomfort. I don't feel finished though. It feels as though there's more to come all the time.
Curiously, sitting directly on my butt has actually been the most comfortable position for me. Perhaps it's because I have a ruptured disc in my low back? Lying down is generally pretty uncomfortable, but I did manage to get a good nights sleep without any chemical assistance last night. I was pretty tired though! Dead on my feet tired! It doesn't look too bad back there. There's some bruising, no real swelling, it looks a pretty healthy color so far and the open wound where the skin tag used to be looks like it's beginning to heal. Still haven't spotted any stitches or obvious LIS incision. For those that had an Open LIS ... Would I be able to see the wound, or is it too far inside to actually see? I spoke with the CRS on the phone after the op, but she didn't mention if she'd performed an open or closed LIS.
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2011, 21:49

Sphinct,
Do you have any valium? That helped me and my butt to relax and have the complete bm's. I think NG and Steve both said they had tiny incomplete bm's in the beginning after their LIS's.
I never looked at my butt ,but my husband did and he said he couldn't see a LIS incision or any stitches from the LIS or where the tag was removed either.

Postby Guest » 11 Feb 2011, 21:55

I'd like to add: the leakage is pretty normal. I'd be careful about firming up the stool too much right now, maybe wait until you have a complete bm and get your bowels to moving well before changing anything?!

Postby Cagirl » 11 Feb 2011, 22:51

Congrats Sphinct! You've come this far and it should be smooth sailing from here on! Dawn, Happy, myself and the good recoveries lately need some company! Be careful and try to have someone wait on you! Milk it for all it's worth!
Add me to the list for invitro. No endo here, but did 3 rounds of invitro over 2 years resulting in my 2 little miracles! That's a whole different story and chat group in itself! Sheesh, we have so many issues over here, I could just about jump in on any chat board online and fit right in!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby sphinctersaurus » 11 Feb 2011, 23:17

Hey,
Thanks Dawn. :D No, sadly I don't have any Valium. The closest thing I have is Lorazepam. Not sure if it would be useful here though. Yeah, I think I'll take your advice and hold off on firming up the stool until things have settled down a little. I've had a little more action on the BM front in the past couple of hours and I have to say, it's been a bit ... well ... crap! The last one was quite painful. I'm hoping there won't be anymore untill tomorrow. Just been looking at a couple of photos of my brand new pooper and honestly, I'm not sure that I got my money's worth. I had imagined something far more grand. For all that effort and expense I want a bell and a whistle!
Thanks Cagirl. I hope that in a week or two I can say that I had a good recovery too!
Looking forward to my buritto ... Although I think that might be a while yet! Image
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 12 Feb 2011, 03:55

Cagirl,
Glad that the invitro worked for you. I think I might have developed endo after my 2 boys had already arrived! :roll: But I was anxious that it took 5 months of "trying" for my first babe. The second one was conceived surprisingly quickly.
cherylk
VIP

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 12 Feb 2011, 04:15

Lorazepam is Ativan here in the States (not sure what it's branded overseas), and is a relatively strong short acting benzo (same class of drugs as Valium). All benzos share the same basic intrinsic properties (muscle relaxing, amnesic, anti-anxiety, tranquilizing, CNS depressant), just to different extents. Valium is commonly used for both anxiety and muscle spasms, whereas Ativan is mostly used for anxiety -- it'll likely still help with spasms, but the effect won't be as intense and it'll be shorter in duration. If your doc gave you Ativan, then they'll likely have no problem giving you Valium, as Ativan is generally considered a "bigger gun" than Valium as far as benzos go :)
As Dawn correctly remembered (good memory Dawn!), I did have problems (well more like annoyances) with small unsatisfying poops for a few days after surgery. I'd feel like I had to go, but when it was all said and done, I'd only be able to squeeze out a pathetic sliver of a turd. Really annoying. And the process would repeat numerous times a day. I think it was because the anesthesia did a number on my system and kind of slowed everything down. Luckily things returned to mostly normal within a couple of days. I'd say to don't stress it just yet, and don't overreact by making any radical changes to your fissure diet regimen until you've given your body a few days to recover from the enviable adventure it just went through.
I had closed LIS and there wasn't much to see after the procedure other than the swelling and bruising. And yep, I had leakage/discharge too ... wore pantiliners for a month or two afterward :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45