Here goes nothing! LIS & Skin Tag Removal - Thursday Feb 10

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Here goes nothing! LIS & Skin Tag Removal - Thursday Feb 10

Postby happyass » 18 Feb 2011, 00:00

p.s.
isn't it insane how we were scared so much of the pain of the surgery and then it seems like the best days post-surgery were the days immediately after surgery....nothing hurt.
but then a week or so later, pain meds off and well, whatever other decisions we have made, we wish were were feeling just as great as when we got out of surgery!
LOL!
i am feeling pretty good but it's just high maintenance and super slow healing on my end.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Bumbutt » 18 Feb 2011, 01:48

I think that was all good advice - I was going to say to keep up with the baths, and maybe take some anti-inflammatory. You had a rough day #7, and I think that would usually (pre-LIS) translate to repercussions on day #8, so post-LIS, maybe even more so... Just keep your eye on it, and try not to worry too much. Try to get some sleep and keep your immune system up. If it continues to look more red tomorrow, then maybe you can call the pharmacy to get some anti-biotic cream, or some doctor that is on duty over the weekend. Don't hesitate! With the health care system here, a lot of people end up going to the emergency room for just regular care... maybe it's the same in NZ? It sounds crazy, but that's how it works.
Sooo, since you've had some rough days, maybe it will be sore these days... but keep your eye out and if it looks like it's an infection, then try to call someone on duty... that would be my POA (plan of action).
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby sphinctersaurus » 18 Feb 2011, 16:49

Hey Guys,
Hot baths ... Check!
Anti-inflammatory Meds ... Check!
Antibiotic Ointment - at the ready ... Check!
Day 9 - So far today things seem a little better. Had some good quality rest last night, which has been a bit hard to come by of late. That is, despite being woken by a lonely cat (in the middle of the night), who seems to think that just because he isn't sleeping, then nobody else should be either!

So far BMs are back to soft and mostly painless. Pfffft! I really am just along for the ride here! Hopefully my butt will find a balance soon!
Jeez – We really have to be continually vigilant don’t we! I asked the CRS during my pre-op appointment at what stage would I be free of the risk of infection. She replied, “When the wounds close”. It really is that darn skin tag site that causes all the trouble for me too. I can’t remember Happy ... Was yours stitched, or left open? Mine was open. The CRS said that there wasn’t enough skin in that area to stitch the wound, and now I see what she means. There definitely isn’t enough skin back there, in my case at least, to put any stitches in. So far, I don’t have any discharge from the wound and it doesn’t hurt as much as yesterday, so maybe it’ll be OK. I’m hoping that I just injured it somehow. You’re infection seems to be clearing quickly with the right treatment, so I guess it isn’t the end of the world if it does happen. I really just don’t want to take antibiotics. They are a big part of what got me into this situation in the first place!
I, like everyone else, was quite fearful before the surgery. Mainly because of the prospect of a painful recovery and of course the dreaded risk of incontinence. Now I find myself frightened that the wounds will become infected, but also that the operation will not work. Terrified of that actually! I know that day 9 is far too soon to worry about that, but I can’t help it ... I’m a worrier!
Bumbutt – HOW DID THE SIGMOIDOSCOPY GO? Hope it was painless and easy. FUN even? :D
Yeah ... Lots of people do go straight to the Emergency Room for regular care here too. It sounds like these health care problems are worldwide. You know, I’ve actually got my CRS’s cell phone number! I wonder if she’d mind a neurotic telephone call during the weekend. Something tells me she probably would! She’s probably busy ... off sailing her super yacht or something. What does a Colorectal Surgeon call her yacht? Hmmmmm.
Thanks heaps for all you help and advice all. This is all so much easier with your help!
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby sphinctersaurus » 18 Feb 2011, 16:56

BB,
The Sigmoidoscopy was next week wasn't it? Sorry ... Stupid brain!
:D
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 18 Feb 2011, 17:26

hi sphinctersaurus,
yes all my excisions which were all around the "clock" area of my anus - my goodness, i was suprised by how much skin she took off! and they were all left open.
the trickiest to heal is the area of where Laverne & Shirley partied their little hearts' out. and well, the fissure site too is taking its sweet time.
yes it is concerning that while these areas are still open that we are vulnerable to infection at any time. luckily those are the only two last areas open.
it's just unfortnate for me that where these two remaining spots are open, that seems to be the pathway my butt loves to expand while having a BM! oh well.
i came across something odd last night while googling as i burn the midnight oil, something of a posterior ass aparatus that they leave in your butt after surgery for situations such as those....sounded too weird and quite not up my alley!
anyway, yes you are on day 9 and i am like on day 32.
it does get better.
the last few days of the 1st month were the most challenging so far. ugh. but i think i am on the mend. it's amazing how these hot full bath tub soaks with epsom salts can help and i am grateful that the triple antibiotic ointment (which i got over the counter here) seems to have licked whatever got in the way. i am hoping!
okay tonight i am going to play Wii Just Dance 1 and 2 and attempt my first real heavy duty workout! hehehehehe.....
try not to worry...worrier to worrier! it's hard not too, right? but where does it really get us? worry please be gone!
hugs to u sphinctersaurus
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Bumbutt » 19 Feb 2011, 11:23

Sounds like you are starting to even out Sphinct! I hope so. Try to use some positive mantras about how you are taking care of yourself and healing and getting better and better each day! Image
My crs appointment is this tuesday... Fun! Ha! Only if they really drug me up! Which I don't think they will... I'm starting to feel better these past few days, with now minimal aching even, so I wonder if they will tell me everything is healed/healing. Who knows. It will be interesting to find out... Thanks for asking!
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sphinctersaurus » 20 Feb 2011, 03:57

Hey guys,
Day 10 - I'm pleased to say - Mostly uneventful! Had three BMs this morning, which were all pretty good. I did have a little pain as 'stuff' was passing by the LIS incision site, but nothing severe. Occasionally there's a bit of pain from the fissure area too, but it's minor and will hopefully decrease in time. Also, immediately after BMs (for about 5-10 mins) I've been feeling these kind of sharp little pains in the anal area, but they aren't too bad. Any pain at all does freak me out a little bit though. I’d really like nothing short of perfectly painless! Maybe one day. I guess I just need to have a little patience.
I've no pain when sitting, but walking seems to cause a bit of chaffing around the skin tag site which hasn't yet closed. Any exercise, other than stretching is still out for this reason. I'm not getting any discharge from the wounds and the bruising has faded so that it's becoming difficult to see. The nausea I had after the op is completely gone, but the stomach pains are lingering a little. They have been steadily decreasing though.

My infection fears appear to have been a false alarm :D ... Phew ... but I’ll definitely continue to be as careful as I can.
I’m glad you’re on the mend Happy. When the surgeon came to see me right before they wheeled me off to prepare me for the op, she told me that she didn’t have to remove the skin tag if I didn’t want her to. I had told her that I was a little worried about having an open wound in that area. She said that the immune system is efficient, especially so in those areas and that the risk of infection is actually relatively low - in her experience. She’d already mentioned this at the pre op appointment and seemed a little irritated to be having to reassure me again. Anyway … I told her in no uncertain terms that I wanted the skin tag gone!
Anyway … All worries aside; a good day is a good day!
Thanks for all the support!
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 20 Feb 2011, 07:43

Great News Sphinct!
Getting rid of that skin tag was a good choice. It will make things sore for awhile but is so worth it! I can't believe you are on day 10! Keep up the awesome job you are doing and you will be so surprised even in a couple of days how things can progress.... The skin tag was sore for about 6 weeks for me but did get better every week.
The chaffing thing just takes awhile... I put a little a/d ointment on the inside of my cheeks but not on the anus for awhile to help with that.
Take care!

Postby Bumbutt » 21 Feb 2011, 02:12

Awesome! It sounds like you and Dawn could soon be appearing together on the LIS poster! Image
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sphinctersaurus » 21 Feb 2011, 04:24

Hey all!
Day 11 - Fairly uneventful! I had the same kind of pains I had yesterday during BMs, of which I had 4. I'll have to work on reducing that number when things are more settled. It's all about the same as yesterday actually! So now I'm just waiting and hoping that things continue like this. I do have a very strong sense that if I was to have a remotely firm BM that things would get very unpleasent, very quickly ... so I'll try to make sure that doesn't happen. In that respect, nothing much has changed since before the op. I guess I need to make it as easy as possible for my silly, fragile little fissure to heal up.
So, the quest for MIRICLE SOFT POOP continues!!! Image
Who's with me?
By the way ... Something I think I've neglected to mention ... I know that this is a pretty major fear for everybody who is 'pre-op', so it's worth mentioning that I haven't had any 'accidents' at all since the LIS. I had some unannounced wind during the first few days, and also some minor nugget action. You know ... the odd tiny escapee here and there, but nothing serious, and it has passed.
PS. I'd like to offer a belated congratulations to NG for coining the very useful (but probably only on this forum) phrase 'turd solidity'. It's come in handy when explaining things to family and friends. :D
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist