Here goes nothing! LIS & Skin Tag Removal - Thursday Feb 10

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Here goes nothing! LIS & Skin Tag Removal - Thursday Feb 10

Postby Bumbutt » 04 Mar 2011, 02:05

It sounds pretty good Sphinct! You deserve for this to go well. When you think about it, 3 weeks is not so long, so I hope any discomfort you are feeling is just the remnants of all this, and will soon become a distant memory for you!
Image Keep that poop soft! Image
Just keep doing what you're doing... don't let Happy lead you to the beer and hot dog stand! Image
And good luck with the dentist... Ug! Although I'm not a big fan of going to the dentist, I would now trade dental work for butt work any day...
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby alpinestrawberry » 04 Mar 2011, 08:04

Hey Sphinct!
Sounds like everything you're experiencing is pretty normal, at least based on other's experiences I've read here. It's a slow up-and-down process but you'll get there! I'm so jealous your surgery experience is over! I'm getting nervous for mine. I've had to wait and wait and wait for them to call to schedule me...they're supposed to call no later than today with the schedule, so we'll see.
I prefer dental work too! And my brother-in-law is a dentist, so whenever we need major work, we make the trip to see him and it's free.. Image Beats paying thousands for butt work for sure! :D
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby sphinctersaurus » 06 Mar 2011, 15:40

Hi all!
Just to warn you all, I'm about to start whining. You can't hear me of course, but just know that my voice is high-pitched, tearful and really very annoying right now.
I’ll be one month out from surgery on Thursday and I've just had my second re-tear. I honestly don't know what I'm doing wrong. Things felt pretty loose back there during my first week post-op. When I had a BM I could feel that the sphincter wasn't so tight anymore. Over the next couple of weeks the sphincter seemed to return to a more normal strength and, as of now, BMs don't feel a great deal different to the way they felt before surgery. First, I get an enormously 'stretched' feeling, like my butt is struggling to cope, about to tear ... and then ... that horrible feeling that I know you are all familiar with ... it tears! This is what happened this morning. Unfortunately, it's not a huge surprise to me ... I've felt it was on the verge of tearing for days now.
So, I'm at a loss! I don't think this re-tear stuff is part of a normal recovery, and certainly, if it keeps happening ... I don't see how I'll recover at all. The stool was perfectly soft too. I haven't had a problem with firm stools for a couple of weeks now.
I have no idea what to do about this. Woooooe!
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby alpinestrawberry » 06 Mar 2011, 21:06

Awww.... Image
That does suck to have a setback. But try reading this, if you haven't already:
http://anal-fissure.org/t2071-hello-afsf-lis-veteran-here#46635
After everything we have to go through it just doesn't seem fair that the surgery isn't always a quick fix.
You could always call your doctor, maybe you could use some creams to help relax the muscle? I don't know, but I'm hoping it gets better soon for you.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Bumbutt » 07 Mar 2011, 02:32

Wahhhhh! I'm crying with you!
Hmmmm - I don't know, but my first thought was also like Alpines... maybe you need to be using some rectogesic too.
Maybe your fissure just isn't getting a chance to heal yet...
Hey, how would it be to hop into the bath first thing in the morning, like before you have a BM? That might relax things up a little bit more too...
Sorry to hear it's not going smoothly, but we're hear to hear you whine any time. Image
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby StevePain » 07 Mar 2011, 14:11

Hey sphinct... I know how you feel.. I've had 7 months of what feels like tearing and burning stinging pain, LIS is definitely not a quick fix unless you are extremely lucky!
Set backs are to be expected throughout the course of the healing process, I have come to learn this, it's all trial and error in recovery as it was during the bad fissure days, you have to find a happy medium and stick with it, I found that the level of discomfort was different each day and even some day there was no pain (just like pre-LIS) it's difficult but keep persevering as I am.
Best wishes ~ Steve Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby sphinctersaurus » 07 Mar 2011, 16:41

Alpine – Thanks for the link. Jen’s story does offer some hope. You know, I never really thought that LIS would be a quick fix. I guess I just expected to feel different … better than before, and free of re-tears. I guess I didn’t do enough research beforehand, because I didn’t anticipate the re-tears.
Bumbutt – Yeah, I’ve thought about using the Rectogesic again, but that stuff made my life pure hell for about six months. The headaches were terrible! Later, when I stopped using Rectogesic and started using Vaseline instead, I noticed absolutely no difference in how things felt. I’d been torturing myself for nothing! Also, for the past 5 or 6 months, I’ve been blessed with a new chronic health problem called Vulvodynia. Basically, that translates to ‘Painful Vulva Syndrome’, although it doesn’t really hurt. For me, the vulva is mostly just irritated and itchy … all the time. My gynecologist strongly suspects that Rectogesic is to blame for sensitizing the nerves in the area. So I won’t touch that stuff again. I’ve been taking baths, twice a day, every day since the surgery, but I’ve had to stop because they really irritate the Vulvodynia. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about chronic health issues, it’s that, if you happen upon something that irritates the condition, DO NOT keep doing it! It can really set you up for years of bother. So … Baths are out too.
Hi Steve - Thanks for being reassuring. :) Why the hell can't you and I be extremely lucky too? Image I'm almost a month post op and I would definitely say that I don't really feel much different than I did pre op. I seem to have settled back into the same pattern that I was having so much fun with before LIS. I would actually say that things are a bit worse than before! It's only been a few weeks though, so I'm trying to keep things in perspective. I have an appointment with the CRS in a few hours, and I'm not really looking forward it! My guess is that she will act as though this is all very strange, and none of her other LIS patients have ever had problems like these. What I'm dreading is her giving me that look of disappointment, coupled with an eagerness to distance herself from my less than perfect recovery. Over the years, I've unfortunately become quite familiar with that look during my experiences with Doctors, as I have quite a lot of other chronic health problems. Hopefully she won’t do that, because there’s nothing like realizing that someone you put all of your trust in, is giving up on you, and that you are once again, on your own. She has already told me that she would not perform a second surgery due to the increased risk of incontinence.
I’m choc full of perspective! Can you tell?
Thanks for all the support guys. I will persevere!
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bumbutt » 08 Mar 2011, 01:57

How did your CRS visit go? If she gave you that look, then next time you go see her, we can all come with you, like a gang carrying baseball bats (Sorry, I have a black sense of humor).
Gee, baths are out too... how about a hot pad, placed only on the butt?
I think that I read one of the other members here mm9277 (or numbers something like that), also was diagnosed with an "unspecified chronic pain" in the genital area, kind of like your diagnosis. I was really hoping for you that LIS would help you with that...and maybe it will, with some time.
I hope you got some help from the CRS anyway...
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby sphinctersaurus » 08 Mar 2011, 23:22

Hey,
Well, the CRS visit didn't go so well, so I'm thinking that baseball bats and broken knee caps are in order too!
So, I dropped my pants and got up on the table. She had a bit of a look around and a bit of a feel around, and said that the fissure was still there, it looked about the same as before surgery, but that it was very small. Then, despite the fact that she had already told me that she would not consider a second surgery due to the increased risk of incontinence, she started to talk about performing surgery number two.
I asked her why she thought the retearing was continuing. She told me "I don't know. It was a good operation. I was able to feel the fibres clearly and everything went well"
I asked if any of her other LIS patients had ever had problems like this. She said "No, you're the first one it has ever happened to. There's no reason why it wouldn't have worked. It was a good operation”.
She said that she could do the operation again, but that she wouldn’t do anything differently the second time, so without knowing why the first one didn’t work, she wasn’t sure why the second one would work either. Then she said that she wondered if it wasn’t to do with my “other chronic problems”. I asked her what she meant. She replied “I don’t know. It’s just that you’ve got some other chronic issues going on, and I just wonder if there could be some underlying problem going on that I don’t know about”. I asked her what she meant. She replied “I don’t know”. So, I asked her what kind of underlying problem could cause this to happen. She replied “I don’t know”.
By now, I’m getting a little frustrated, but I don’t want to show it because I still haven’t gotten any real information out of her yet. I have, by the way, been completely up front and honest with her about my medical history. She has a file right in front of her which details all of my “issues”. So, she already knows about the ruptured disc in my lower back, the Vulvodynia and my other various health complaints. I assume she has by now considered them all for possible involvement with my fissure problems, but I decided to ask her about each one anyway. She didn’t think any of them could cause this to happen. Every question I asked, she replied either “I don’t know”, or “No, that wouldn’t cause this”, or “I don’t see how that could effect this”. All the while, thumbing my file and wearing an increasingly absent and slightly annoyed expression.
Honestly, I’m not blaming her. I’m not qualified to comment on the quality of her skills or the quality of the operation. But her vagueness, and her lack of ability to describe exactly what the @#$% she meant by practically everything she said really pissed me off!
Does anyone else here think that it’s acceptable for a surgeon to suggest that a patients poor recovery is due to that patients “other chronic problems”, but when asked what they meant by that, to be unable to answer with anything more articulate that “I don’t know”?.
I actually haven’t given up on a successful recovery yet, and won’t consider a second surgery until it becomes painfully clear that the fist one hasn’t done the trick.
This appointment was yesterday, but maybe you can tell … I’m still a little angry! If I do need more surgery … She, sure as #$%& won’t be doing it!
Sorry for the ranting. I just feel worn out. I don’t have any more energy (or money) to put into this.
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Bambi » 09 Mar 2011, 00:10

Oh dear Sphinctersaurus- I am so sorry to hear about all this. I saw my CRS today and things were looking pretty good. But he did emphasize that it will still be an up and down course of recovery and that he doesn't look at a surgery as "failing" until around 10 weeks out. I kept asking him questions like- what is I start having more pain and bleeding 2 weeks from now...I can tell he thinks I'm a complete loon. At least that's what he projects when I come in with my typed list of questions. I can so feel your righteous anger with your Dr. Mine did a similar thing to me when I called him with questions about a week ago. I know he is busy and I could tell he had me on speakerphone (hopefully he isn't doing all that calling back on the highway!) and with several of my questions I felt like he gave a very flippant "I don't know" answer. And I wanted to ask back- "Well why the hell not?" but I'm very meek in those situations and then just felt hopeless and helpless and then asked you guys my questions. I don't blame you for not wanting to go back to the same person if you have it done again, given her responses to you. Maybe this is only temporary and you will heal from this retear more easily, given that the pressure is reduced and all. I certainly hope and pray that is what happens with you. My Dr. redeemed himself with me a little today when he actually admitted that things are pretty fragile down there for 8-10 weeks at least and that I still could have pain or bleeding occur. But I think he expects that between 4-6 weeks, things should be much better. At least he didn't give me that look you talked about. I also have had chronic health issues in the past and have gotten that look. When they can't easily know what is going on, they kindof glaze over. I also had Vulvodynia years ago, when I was in my 20s, along with a year of bladder infections that showed no bacteria in my urine. And then that suddenly just seemed to go away. I think being on the pill was not good for my body and that I also was developing the tendency towards my hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia stuff back then. I feel like my body turns on itself- sort of an autoimmune response to lots of things, but those types of things were ruled out a long time ago for me. Maybe she is thinking of something along that line though...? I'd want to bop her upside the head! Don't despair. It will get better, increasingly I see that and think we will all be so much stronger as people when we come out the other side of all these things.
Best of luck and prayers-
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72