My teenager says try smoking pot to relax

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

My teenager says try smoking pot to relax

Postby Elphie » 10 Mar 2011, 09:45

I'm afraid to try it! Has anyone tried this? Does it make it worse or better? I'm willing to try anything but I'll try not to involve my teenager in it. In Canada it can b prescribed but I don't want to ask my doc this question what will he think of me?! So I'm bouncing it off you guys for feedback....thanks
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Re: My teenager says try smoking pot to relax

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 Mar 2011, 14:08

LOL. Ok I have to admit that I definitely didn't expect to see this particular topic here :)
Anyhow I used to smoke pot for recreational purposes and now have a medical marijuana card. I use it for an anxiety and chronic pain disorder and it works nicely. Much better (and less damaging IMO) than a lot of traditional drugs I've tried -- it helps me relax, sleep better, and improves appetite a lot.
The main side effect obviously is that you get high. This can be a good or a bad thing. I'm personally fine with it since I'm pretty used to it from my recreational days (I used to smoke a lot back then). But some folks respond poorly and it can cause a paradoxical effect where anxiety actually increases acutely. Other folks get sick to the stomach. So responses, like any other psychotropic drug, are very individual. And just like other drugs, poor reactions tend to be more common in the beginning and usually eventually lessen greatly or wear off altogether (or in the case of pot, can become very pleasant :)).
There's not much to be scared of as far as trying it IMO. Noticeable marijuana effects wear off after a few hours max. I will say, though, that I tried pot when my fissure was acute (because it supposedly helps with muscle spasms) and didn't get any real ass-related relief from it. I suppose it could help if anxiety is a big component in your fissure problem, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high is all... (pun unintended Image)
Also, if you don't smoke cigarettes, cigars, etc., pot will be really harsh to smoke. You'll probably get a sore throat, coughing, and so on. If you want to lessen that, you can use a water pipe or vaporizer (this is what I use since it produces no smoke whatsoever), or simply eat "edibles" (which can be baked at home or purchased from cannabis clubs).
Disclaimer: I don't condone breaking laws or illicit drug use. But I happen to live in a state that's liberal on marijuana, and I've definitely found therapeutic value in pot (just not for my fissure), so consider the above my personal experiences only. Your mileage may vary.
P.S.
There is supposedly pot around now that won't get you high. I've never tried it myself but it may be worth a go if you're looking for therapeutic value minus stoned value.
Now I've officially seen everything possible on this forum :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Elphie » 10 Mar 2011, 15:38

I think I may give it a go, but I'm not admitting it...how do u ask your doc for that? I know they do use it medicinally in Canada. Well I guess he's seen me at my worst it couldn't hurt to ask Lol
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby alpinestrawberry » 10 Mar 2011, 15:44

I've smoked a ton of it in my day, used to love the stuff, but unfortunately these days it just makes my anxiety worse :( .
Medical MJ is plenty legal in Michigan too, and I have lots of sources without even bothering a doctor to get it, but it just won't do the trick for me anymore, sadly. It's so darn readily available, I wish I could!
I think it's worth a try for you though Elphie. Why not, I say. I also don't buy that load of crap about it causing schizophrenia. Pffffft.
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby frustrated » 10 Mar 2011, 16:00

I have tried it too...It helps me relax kind of like a glass of wine does; even though I feel a bit of anxiety in the first 10 minutes after smoking. It doesn't help me with pain relief...just the anxiety of the whole fissure ordeal. Be really careful eating it, because it can give you a much stronger high and I feel more anxiety when I eat it. However, everyone is different and I know people who have experienced the opposite. It does take longer to come on when you eat it, so be sure to give it time before you dive into more brownies or other "edibles."
If you go through a medicinal marijuana coop, they are usually very knowledgable about what effects (pain relief, anxiety relief, etc.)the different strains of marijuana can have.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby StevePain » 10 Mar 2011, 16:03

haha, I smoked a ton of it in my day also (20 years ago), it's still illegal in the UK though, but has been reclassified to a class C drug removing the threat of arrest for possession, though distributing the stuff would still warrant arrest, we are not that lax in the UK..
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby Bumbutt » 11 Mar 2011, 01:01

Image Image
I have seen on one web site - probably based in california - that medical marijuana has been prescribed for fissure pain.
As NG said, smoke harshness on the lungs is a drawback...
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Be Careful

Postby small_flower » 12 Mar 2011, 20:18

My only advice to you, is that if you decide to go ahead with this that it is best to go through your doctor. When you are getting if from someone "off the street" or what have you, there is no way of monitoring what is actually in the pot.
I had a very bad experience in smoking it as a teenager with some friends, and the pot must have been laced with something because I was hallucinating and had the BIGGEST panic attack of my life. So make sure that you do get it medicinally because that is the safest way to go.
I suppose in a way, it was a blessing to have gone through that because it made me stop smoking it. I could never smoke it again after that because my mind always went into panic mode. Image
But it sounds like its worth a try for you, just do it safely. :)
Best,
Kate
small_flower
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 62

Postby Elphie » 13 Mar 2011, 08:47

Slept like a baby! Helped me relax, even had a few giggles... Not ready to try it when the kids r around tho, they'd wonder why I thought everything was so funny!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Mar 2011, 15:30

Elphie wrote:Slept like a baby! Helped me relax, even had a few giggles... Not ready to try it when the kids r around tho, they'd wonder why I thought everything was so funny!

Just be sure to have some healthy fissure-friendly snacks handy for when the munchies hit :) Otherwise you might get relief from the pot but wind up downing a few bags of Cheetos in the process, which obviously wouldn't be very ass friendly Image
BTW if you decide to try it again, bear in mind that there are two basic types of marijuana: indicas and sativas. There are lots of variables involved (many of which "modern science" has little understanding of) but indica strains are considered better for sedation and sleeping effects. There are all kinds of other beliefs about what strains are better for pain relief, muscle relaxation, etc., but personally I've never noticed a big difference (and I've been a pretty frequent "user" for the last 12-13 years), so your mileage may vary there. If you're buying it from a cannabis club, the bud tenders can tell you all about the various strains. If you're buying it from the street, then you'll have a harder time telling, but most strains that look purple (it's relatively popular these days) are indica strains, so odds are you'll stumble upon some.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure