6 week after LIS - still not healed

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

6 week after LIS - still not healed

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2011, 02:53

Hi guys,
I am almost 6 weeks post LIS. I feel better than before LIS, but still have some problems and I am very worry about that. I have a bit bleeding from time to time yet, that means - wound is still not closed. I do not have pain during BM and after, just some discomfort. I also feel that my bum is far to be the same as before the fissure. I also feel during BM that the place is very raw, sensitive and delicate yet. So, my feelings are ambiguous. My CRS told me 4-6 weeks and you forget about the fissure, but it did not happen. Am I on my way to heal? Do I need to be more patient and give some more time or ..... it hints that LIS did not work for me.
Thanks all. (Sorry for my English, it is my 4th language) Image

Re: 6 week after LIS - still not healed

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2011, 08:35

Hi Sovel,
It is not unusual to have some blood and discomfort at 6 weeks post-op. There have been many others in this forum who have taken a little longer to heal than the Doctor said.
This does not mean that you aren't healing! Recovery can be a slow process with anal surgery.
There are a few things that will help aid in the healing of your fissure. You may already know , but it is important to keep a good diet and take supplements or stool softeners to keep the bm's soft. It is a good to still avoid foods that will make bm's harder or scratchy like red meat, dairy, nuts, chips, taco shells,etc. Taking warm baths several times a day will also help keep the area clean and aid in healing. Many of us avoid toilet paper early in recovery and rinse or use wet wipes, just some thing soft to avoid irritating the anus.
The fact that you have little discomfort and it is less than before surgery is great progress.
Hope this helps!

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2011, 11:24

Thanks, Dawn
Yes, I am on the diet you mentioned. I also take Benefiber each morning. I stopped taking warm bath post op, as I did before. Do I need to continue with sitz bathes? I only take shower after each BM and between them. I've spoke with my doctor and he does not want to check me with anoscope to see how the place healing in next 4 weeks (my fissure is inside of anal channel). The point I am very concerned is a little blood from time to time that means the fissure is not closed yet after 6 post LIS weeks.... Image

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2011, 11:54

Your welcome Sovel,
If you have time to read some of the older post, there were many who had some blood from time to time throughout healing. I didn't but I know it has been a common complaint on here. The good news is they did heal though!! I think the baths can be helpful in healing but that's just my opinion.

Postby frustrated » 25 Jun 2011, 13:01

Sovel..I am at 8 weeks and still having some pain and discharge. I am trying to stay patient too...My doc was vague about a timeline but said I should be mostly healed by the end of summer (which would be 4 months). Right now I have some serious swelling externally and I think I should return to daily baths and post BM sitz baths. I try to remember that I was in severe pain pre- LIS and I am sooooo much better now.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2011, 14:02

Yes, frustrated. I also was in severe pain pre-LIS and, of course, today's situation is much better. I will try to stay patient too. I just see that many doctors often assure unrealistic healing timeline or .... we are just slow healers.

Postby StevePain » 25 Jun 2011, 14:03

Hey there sovel, I'm almost 11 months post-op and have had a constant battle trying to heal this mofo, you are definitely not alone and at 6 weeks post-op I really wouldn't be worrying, it is far too soon to say if LIS worked for you or not, I would say give it much more time and stick to a strict diet as you really don't want to get constipated.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 05 Jul 2011, 13:11

Some update.
about 8 weeks post LIS and yet fissure not healed.
Continue to bleed from time to time. I still feel that fissure wound is not closed.
Today I visited the CRS surgeon, examined me and confirmed - yes, after 8 weeks the fissure has not healed. He suggested to wait with patience and do nothing.
Frankly, I am very disappointed and worried.
How come, if there are no spasms, why the wound is not healed???
If this case another LIS can't also help as to my understanding. May be I just do not feel those spasms?
Do you remember guys from the forum that have fissure wound opened for long time after LIS and they finally have been healed completely after more then 2-3 months after op?

Postby val » 05 Jul 2011, 14:41

Mine didn't heal after LIS and I was offered the advancement flap, which I declined.
It then followed a cycle of heal, split, heal, split for the past 3 years, I just kind of live with it, and be very happy when it's in "healed-mode!"
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Guest » 05 Jul 2011, 15:31

val wrote:I was offered the advancement flap, which I declined.

val, could you tell some more details about that "flap", and why you declined and continued suffer.