My story so far

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: My story so far

Postby Deleted User 579 » 19 Jul 2011, 14:35

hmmm ... that does sound a little strange, so I can see why you're a bit worried. But, since it doesn't hurt, perhaps it's just some formation caused by the healing process. When I developed my abscess, there was some pain, a pinching senstation and a burning/itchy feeling at the site where the abscess formed. i knew there was somthing wrong. I think if it doesn't give you any painful or uncomfortable sensations, then it might be just some redundant skin forming. I seem to recall some boardies talking about how skin tags can form after surgery from scar tissue that develops. I didn't develop a fever with my abscess, so I think you should keep an eye on it, and if it starts to hurt, you should call your CRS to see you earlier. I know how anxiety-inducing these things can be! But try not to worry - it's likely to be nothing major. And even if it is an abscess, you will have caught it early enough for it to be easily dealt with.
Deleted User 579

Postby adam » 20 Jul 2011, 01:45

Hey dexterdude, you seem to be doing great .
About your lump/bump, I know there's a lot of different types of these lumps/bumps attributed to the lots of different reasons. Skin tags, hemorrhoids, abcesses...
In my case, my lump/bump grew from the size of almost nothing, to the size and shape of a tic-tac. And at that size, it hurt so much to even walk, and then you'll know to call your crs.
adam
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby dexterdude » 21 Jul 2011, 12:40

Well, there's good news and bad news. Good: the bump looks better, not so swollen anymore. Bad: didn't take the painkiller today and had pretty bad pain about midday, then had a small bm, no pain for about 30 min, then really bad one, would say a 7-8. Finally caved in and took the pill and now I feel better, pain is a 1-2. All in all it felt like the pre-op days, when I had some pain during BM, then felt good for half an hour, then the pain came back to stay. Am pretty sad at the moment that this fissurectomy + botox didn't work out so well, but hey, at least I tried...
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Jul 2011, 13:53

Aww, Dexterdude, I'm so sorry that your pain is back to where you started. That has to be so frustrating and more than a bit depressing! Image
You're right, you did give it a great try and you put up a damn good fight against the dragon! If you are sure that this fissurectomy + botox didn't work, do you think you'll try another round of botox or go for the LIS?
It's good news about the bump, though. I am really sorry that the pain is back. I know quite a few boardies either had to get a few more rounds of botox or get the surgery eventually - but they did eventually heal. You will beat this!
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 21 Jul 2011, 21:54

Sorry things aren't going well for you Dexter. I can't imagine the disappointment you must be feeling right now.
I know it's depressing and so much to go through and be where you started. Like Hope mentioned, there's always LIS or another round of botox.
If you decide to go with LIS Dexter, the skin tag and fissure should still heal just fine, especially with your new loose sphincter muscle. I didn't have a fissurectomy but I had a skin tag removed and my fissure cauterized and everything healed beautifully.
Hang in there! I'm so sorry Image

Postby dexterdude » 21 Jul 2011, 23:08

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know what will be next, but I think it might be another round of botox before LIS. I'm seeing the doc in about 3 weeks (which is a long time to wait) and I'll see what he says. What's certain is that the procedure will be at least 1 month and 3 weeks from now, which is the worst thing about the whole affair, this waiting in pain.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 22 Jul 2011, 16:04

Man, I know about waiting in pain! That is really, really awful. Is another round of botox what you would prefer? I'm so sorry you have to wait so long. I think perhaps that your CRS should know that you are still in a lot of pain. Maybe s/he will modify their strategy in light of your experiences with the botox.
I really hope you find relief soon.
Deleted User 579

Postby dexterdude » 26 Jul 2011, 10:47

Update: I don't think I have an abcess, as the swelling of the area has gone down, color is reddish/yellowish (not just yellowish) and I'm not in pain all the time (as I guess I should be with an abcess).
However, today I've had fresh bright red blood with the BM and the usual pain. So no improvement there. Although, looking at the outside wound, it's definitely healing up.
As for the discharge, it's still going strong. I am now 5 weeks post-op and no real sign of stopping. It's for sure thicker and stickier than immediately post-op, but quantity-wise it's about the same. I sure hope this does not mean incontinence, after just fissurectomy!
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 Jul 2011, 14:00

Hey Dexterdude - I'm so glad you don't seem to have an abscess. That is great news. I don't think discharge 5 weeks post-op is that unusual after a fissurectomy, from what I've read here. But it is annoying! I also don't think blood is unusual either, since it takes about 6 to 8 weeks to actually heal the fissure, and some folks heal a bit more slowly than that, but do eventually heal. It does sound like maybe another round of botox is in the cards. Will you be able to get that done during your follow-up or will you have to wait longer?
I'm sorry you're still having pain :( Is it as bad as pre-botox? I got the impression that maybe it was a bit less than before the procedure - I sure hope it isn't worse!
Deleted User 579

Postby busybrooke3 » 26 Jul 2011, 20:48

Dexterdude,
I'm new to this group, and I just read your entire story up to today. Thank you for writing it, what a story! I am scheduled to have the same procedure with botox next Wed. Aug. 3rd. I'm really nervous, but reading your post gives me some idea of what to expect. My doctor is also against the LIS surgery. I'm not sure that this fissurectomy/botox is the best thing to do, but the af pain gets so intense that it controls my life at this point. I am hoping that you are just going through a longer than expected recovery, and that you will see better days soon. I will pray for you, as I understand this struggle. Thanks again for all the information, it really helps.
Last edited by busybrooke3 on 26 Jul 2011, 20:50, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: wording changed
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Topics: 4