Constipated. Please advise me !

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Constipated. Please advise me !

Postby of all the places to hurt » 06 Aug 2011, 06:34

Hi everyone,
I have been taking movicol x2 sachets for the last 3 days for contipation. I still haven't had a bm! Oh god, I am terrified. My spasms have gone today (probably because I haven't been the loo) If I increase my dosage, does anyone of you know if that 1st poop is going to be the usual, red hot cannon ball wrapped in barbed wire Image And, how much should I take? Any other suggestions? Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Terrified Andrea Image
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Re: Constipated. Please advise me !

Postby val » 06 Aug 2011, 08:32

Have you tried MOM Andrea? (milk of magnesia) It gives good results, although, be warned, if you take too much it can be a little TOO good! I had to go 17 times after taking that! Funny now, but at the time I felt like dying!
Coffee could get things going maybe? Or, my trick was half pure fruit juice, half boiling water in a huge mug, worked every time!
Good luck - I hope the spasms dont start afterwards Image Image Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby of all the places to hurt » 06 Aug 2011, 08:48

Just sent my eldest to shop for some MOM! Oh dear am terriefied lol... Thanx for all your support val!!!! UR ace :D
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby val » 06 Aug 2011, 08:55

Don't take the full dose straight away - it says 2 tablespoons if I remember rightly - just start with a teaspoon or two, especially if you've taken movicol too!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby of all the places to hurt » 06 Aug 2011, 09:03

Okey Dokey thanx Val. I can't believe movicol isn't working?? So much for saturday evenings now! What's going out like as I forgot hee hee Image
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby IMPERFECTASSHOLE » 06 Aug 2011, 11:48

I take bran, & mineral oil every day to avoid constipation--Mineral oil helps it slide out......Good Luck!!
IMPERFECTASSHOLE
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby of all the places to hurt » 06 Aug 2011, 14:12

Mineral Oil?? Never heard of that over here. Any ideas on what the UK would know it by??
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby IMPERFECTASSHOLE » 06 Aug 2011, 20:06

Its a clear oil--Not really sure what "minerals" are in it---I would google it---Good Luck!
IMPERFECTASSHOLE
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby Ink184 » 07 Aug 2011, 06:14

Movicol did the trick for me, i have been on it for one week and i am having BMs once or twice a day. And not the hot red cannon ball wrapped in barbed wire either (btw your description is perfect because that's how it really feels).
I started on 3 sachets of movicol a day, and now i feel that's too much as i am frequently going to the bathroom. My CRS advised me today to cut down on the dosage.
I have tried 4 types of laxatives to battle my 6 months chronic constipation.
The first was Agiolax (granules, pellets) it's supposed to form bulky stools to help them pass, this one back fired and aggravated my AF since the stools were too big (SORRY!).
Lactulose (Syrup) worked, for some time, then it stopped working, its safe to use over long periods too. But i don't know it just stopped working for me and i was taking 20-30 ml 3 times a day.
Dulcolax (tablets) worked for me just fine,it produces normal really easy to pass stools. I took it for 3 days but then my CRS told me to start taking Movicol instead.
Lastly Movicol has been my miracle cure, 3 sachets a day, and i am going daily, of course the usual pain and spasms persist post any BM because of the already existing fissure.
So here are a few tips, if you are already constipated and can't pass the hard stools, then you shouldn't strain it will only make things worse, trust me i know. It takes laxatives 2 DAYS to go into full effect. So don't freak out, stress will make things worse. Literally. Liquids Liquids Liquids, drink a lot of those. Water, fresh juices, stay away from anything that might cause you to dehydrate (coffee, alcohol). Chances are you can't go to the bathroom because the muscles down there are still in a spasm. Take hot baths, not warm, not cold. HOT, as in really uncomfortable to sit in, just a notch below burning. Those are truly your only friend right now. Sit in a bath before going, after it, whenever you feel your muscles are starting to contract again. This is from my own experience and i hope it helps.
Ink184
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby of all the places to hurt » 07 Aug 2011, 07:08

Ink184
Image I am on day 4 today and still nothing. I have increased my dose of movicol so by the law of averages I have to go soon??! I do think I am making it worse because I am worried sick about my trip to the bathroom. And, I am probably psychologically putting it off?? Oh the joys Image At least when I eventually go I will have the spasms to look forward to Image
Proctosphincteranalogist