Question about Miralax

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Question about Miralax

Postby vsweeney09 » 30 Aug 2011, 10:23

I have been taking stimulative laxative for over 3 weeks now to make my bms loose enough so it is not painful. I got tired of waking up in the middle of the night with cramping in my stomach. Saturday night I took 3 stool softners just to have a break. I ended up paying for it big time on Sunday night when I had a bm. It was not hard, but I ended up bleeding and in pain. I took my laxative as usual Sunday night and suffered all day yesterday with cramping and pain with my bms.
I decided to go to a store on the way home last night and find a laxative that was not stimulative. I see everyone on here talking about Miralax. When I looked at the directions it said it causes a bm with in 1 to 3 days. I was not going there. I need to have watery, loose bms everyday unless it is pain city.
My question is, will it work daily like a laxative or will it only give you a soft bm in a few days? How well does it soften the bm?
I did end up buying a laxative last night that was gental that has stool softener in it. I did not get any cramps and I was able to go this morning, thank God. :)
vsweeney09
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Question about Miralax

Postby Guest » 30 Aug 2011, 10:51

Hey there,
Miralax makes bm's soft by drawing water into the bowels. For most of us, it makes the perfect soft poop. From my experience, it takes about three days of taking it to get the best results. That doesn't mean that you'll have a 3 day wait on a bm but it seems like it takes that long or less to get the best effects. I have a bm or 2 everyday with no cramping or pain like a stimulative laxative. It's soft but formed My daughter took it temporarily and said she had to basically look to see if she'd gone.
Runny, watery poops are what can cause anal stenosis over a extended period of time, and stimulant laxatives can cause the bowels to become dependant.
I would give the Miralax a try :) You can always adjust the dose up or down depeding on how it works for you. I started using one capful a day and then adjusted down since my LIS.
I know it's scary changing things when you are fearing more pain, but I really think if you could try this and give it three days- in the long run you will be happier with the results.

Postby gizmodo » 30 Aug 2011, 12:48

I am currently on a leftover supply of Doc-Q-Lace which is finally working wonderfully. However, it is a prescription and once I run out I will switch over to Miralax. I am also afraid of cramping and the Doc-Q-Lace does not cause any, so I'm hoping Miralax won't either.
gizmodo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby jenny2 » 30 Aug 2011, 14:06

i decided to switch to miralax today because of my constipation, hoping that this product will help me soften my bm. cant take the constipation anymore..
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby val » 30 Aug 2011, 14:44

Different laxatives work differently on different people! I get bad cramps with fibresure and lactulose, and dulcoease doesn't work at all. But movicol/miralax seems the best for me.
So it's worth trying all of them to see what suits you best.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby of all the places to hurt » 30 Aug 2011, 14:57

Give Miralax/Movicol a chance (the osmotic miracle) It has saved my life this stuff. First 2 weeks was dreadful, as I had taken too much and had diarrhoea alotl. Now, I take 1 satchet a day after my evening meal and hey presto the next morning. I am still sore but not half as much as before. (I haven't had LIS yet or botox, they're next on my agenda when the NHS gets around to it?) Also, be very careful how much fibre you have. I took firbregel (sick in a cup lol) and it bunged me up dreadfully! You need to drink at least 2L of water with this if you don't it actually makes your stools bigger and harder!!! ouch
Last edited by of all the places to hurt on 30 Aug 2011, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: missed out a word
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby itpainsme » 30 Aug 2011, 20:13

I have been taking Miralax every day for 15 months now and it has been a lifesaver for me. I take one capful (dose) every morning mixed with cranberry juice. Once you get it in your system it will help keep you regular and help keep the bm's soft. It has not caused me any cramping at all.
itpainsme
Salt Bather

Topics: 8