Sigmoidoscopy tomorrow and terrified

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Sigmoidoscopy tomorrow and terrified

Postby bluefizz » 23 Nov 2011, 03:48

Thanks for reassurance
Just out of interest, does the sig thing allow them to see in the anal canal too?
I still have a suspicion that the fissure my GP saw (or thought he saw) which the Colorectal surgeon said wasn't there (or scar tissue) may have re-torn subsequently or produced a sensitive area.
Wondered if they do a preliminary visual exam too
bluefizz
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Postby Iona » 23 Nov 2011, 13:09

My doc had a look and a poke about first and I think to be honest he saw the fissure there before doing any of the internal exam bit.
I couldnt really see what happened at the entrance, i think they put some sort of small brace in first as i could barely feel anything at the entrance once they had gone in and I was really worried about them upsetting the fissure wiggling it about. Possibly no brace though, you can see eveything in the screen but only clearly when they go in enough to put some air in.
I really hope all goes well for you tomorrow, let us know how you get on. all my best
Iona
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Postby StevePain » 24 Nov 2011, 15:03

The Sigmoidoscopy only views inside the Sigmoid colon (the lowest part that ends in the rectum and anus), a full Colonoscopy views the entire length of the colon
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby bluefizz » 25 Nov 2011, 08:44

Iona
I said I'd let you know how it went. The answer is well - clean bell of health regarding rectum/colon - no sign of a current fissure 'in ano'.
A very nice experienced colorectal surgeon did the exam. Explained it all and gave me pics - have to say some look healthy, while closer to 'exit' looks decidedly wrinkled and lumpy but she assures me all is normal - and she's done hundreds so should know.
My persistent pain she puts down to spasm - thinks that post fissure I've almost acquired a learnt overreaction in anus.
Instructions: keep things soft and use diltiazem to keep muscles relaxed. Also, try to shift the mental fixation I have to say that I've develped on my butt!
Also discovered that i have a low threshold for 'discomfort' from air - although she got 50cm's up which is apparently pretty good and more than she needed to see.
Thanks so much for your support. It really helped to know others were going through similar.
Take care.
bluefizz
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7