Cleaning after surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Cleaning after surgery

Postby Sue1962 » 04 Jan 2012, 12:18

I have a question about cleaning after a BM after surgery. Do you just dab with TP or what. I know that is what I do now and then get in the shower with the hand held shower head and flush the excess away. Image what is the best way to clean the area. I soooo don't want to get an infection!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Re: Cleaning after surgery

Postby Tim » 04 Jan 2012, 13:07

Hi Sue, I first use some TP moistened with warm water very gently to get the bulk. Then I finish up with baby wipes (unscented!). Then I hop in the sitz bath and on to the shower. Have not had a problem with infection that way. If that is too much for you I would try and get some Balneol or the generic form at your local pharmacy. It's a lotion for peri-anal cleaning and soothing. About $15 per bottle at CVS.
Tim
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Cleaning after surgery

Postby Guest » 04 Jan 2012, 15:44

Hey Sue, I did basically what Tim said. It will be almost impossible to keep it really clean the first few days, so don't get discouraged about that. Just plenty of sits baths, shower off, cotton and q-tips come in handy also, but you may not want to use the shower wand in the beginning. I think the main thing is to keep it clean as possible while the wounds are closing up and I doubt that happens in the first few days, so if things are swollen and you can't seem to get it spic and span, don't worry too much. I think the second week was when I wasn't scared to use the shower wand with a little force... I got a lot of help from my husband the first few days though. I never did look at my tush but I got him to observe it from day one for cleanliness or any changes. I think that helped me a lot with not getting too panic-ed over swelling or any changes that were normal.