Hello!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello!

Postby hikergirl » 22 Jan 2012, 20:12

Wow! Am I glad I found this group! I'm going to just jump right in... On my 40th birthday (whoo hoo! Demerol instead of birthday cake!) I had emergency incision & drainage of what my pcp had said a week before was a "thrombosed hemorrhoid." He was so wrong - the ER surgeon said I had an abscess and took out "about 2 cups" of fluid (pus). I'm lucky to be alive me thinks - my body did a very good job of containing that fluid. My heart rate when I got to the ER was 155 bpm. They put me in an isolation room and went to work, sans anesthesia, at the time I didn't care, the relief was phenomenal. The abscess was packed and I went home to heal. At my two week check up the "rear admiral" (surgeon humor) gave me a 50/50 chance of getting a fistula. I healed and forgot about it until a year and a half later when I had what I referred to my doctor as a "significant change" in my health related to my bottom. I had a painful thing that felt like a short piece of cord right under my I&D scar. My surgeon had me in surgery within two days and I had a fistulectomy. Not complicated nor deep, no seton or disturbance of my rectum, thank God. Healing commenced. It's been 10 years and I'm ok. My energy level isn't the same but I haven't had to stop any activities I love, or miss any work. I do worry about the scar and whether my body is fighting it like an infection but my doc says I'm fine and gives me Calmoseptine, an external ointment, but I don't know why - my external skin is healthy and intact. My scar feels crampy and sting-y, my doc has referred me to another surgeon who can give me botox injections but I'm chicken. I'm thinking I should leave well enough alone - I don't want anymore surgery if I can help it in that area of my body. How does anyone/everyone, 10 plus years post fistulectomy, feel? Thank you! :)
hikergirl

Topics: 1

Re: Hello!

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 22 Jan 2012, 22:05

Haven't had that experience, thus far - but I'm glad you're better and doing fine!
You are in the right place. The people here are very supportive and understanding.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby workingonit » 23 Jan 2012, 14:06

I don't see how your body could fight a scar.
I've been using rose hip oil on my episiotomy scar and it seems to be loosening it up a bit. Perhaps that might help your scar? I apply it once a day after my shower. I just shake a few drops onto my finger and rub it along the edge of the scar, where it is most sensitive. It is more sensitive than it used to be 10 years ago. I am in my 40s too.
Are the cramps and stingy feelings new?
I've not had a fistula (touch wood).
You might post on the 'considering surgery' section of the forum or even find some people who've had the same surgery as you on the forum and just PM them.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby sterlingbird » 24 Jan 2012, 05:45

My GP lanced 2 "thrombosed hemms on me that turned out to be fissure tags. After 3 weeks of horrible pain I had them refer me to a CRS who did lis, closed 2 accessed fissures and a fistula along with cleaning up hemorrhoids inside and out.That is why I am such an advocate of going to a CRS.I had a abscessed tooth a few weeks ago and when they put me on antibiotics it gave me terrible diarrhea and opened up a fissure. Like they say if it not one thing it is another. Some days are better than others. Just dont want to miss the Jimmy Buffett concert next week:)
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby workingonit » 24 Jan 2012, 11:59

So sorry about the antibiotics. I kinda live in fear of any diet change what so ever, including antibiotics. Hope your af heals faster this time!
Are you doing a cream like nifedipine? Is the concert standing or sitting? Lol! Image
I have yet to meet a GP i would trust. It's sad really.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby grannymaria » 24 Jan 2012, 15:24

Take care sweetie.. in our prayers and please follow the doc's orders and be sure to follow the eating/drinking/fiber/stool softener regime that helps us so..
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 24 Jan 2012, 15:36

Take care, sterling . . .
I hope you get to see Jimmy Buffet, too.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby sterlingbird » 24 Jan 2012, 18:10

I will go and stand in the isles. Don't care. I have not been prescribed any creams. My CRS does not seem to be any thing but old school. I have taken it upon myself to use aloe and coconut oil. I may end up going to Mayo or a larger town nearby to discuss treatment if things do not heal soon.I have heard it said around here that after 3 weeks a fissure may be considered chronic. Somebody correct me if this is wrong.I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 24 Jan 2012, 18:22

sterling, I hear ya. My (2nd) crs, whom I saw last week, is old school, too.
I think 3 weeks is not long enough to be chronic - but I'm at 3 months, and that's probably chronic. My gp said that a year is chronic. I guess opinions vary.
But yes, you have to go see JB! Maybe you could take a pillow to sit on . . .?
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 25 Jan 2012, 06:17

Hey Sterling 3 weeks is acute. Anything after 6-8 weeks is chronic. Have fun at the concert!!! Hope you feel better before you go so you can enjoy it!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36