Back to Work?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Back to Work?

Postby Linkoln57 » 09 Feb 2012, 13:50

I am scheduled for a fissurectomy and rectocele repair in 2 weeks. One outpatient surgery - two different surgeons. My CRS says I will only be out of commission for a day or two for the fissurectomy. My gynecological surgeon says I'll be off work for only 2 weeks for the rectocele. That is great news, but I am hearing horror stories from others. Am I REALLY going to be ready to go back to work in 2 weeks after all this "action" down under?? Have they made such vast improvements in surgical technology that these things are now a breeze? I have a sitdown job. I don't want my boss to get all excited that I am coming back in 2 weeks, if that is unrealistic.
Thanks for your input.
Linkoln57

Topics: 1

Re: Back to Work?

Postby rasmith3530 » 10 Feb 2012, 10:06

Personally, I think the medical industry (and it is an industry after all, a very profitable one at that) is throwing patients back to the wolves far too soon, but that is my opinion. If you do have to go back in two weeks, pick out a suitably comfy pillow/cushion between your chair and your bum, and let your boss to understand that it may be a while before your performance is totally back up to par.
Good luck in your recovery. I'm not sure what the second procedure is, but hoping it goes smoothly as well.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Guest » 10 Feb 2012, 10:44

It really does all depend on the patient, but doctors tend to be overly optimistic in this regard to try to allay the pre operative anxiety of patients, and also to get their mind tuned in to healing. But everyone is different and everyone responds differently to surgery. In my case if a doctor tells me two weeks, it's likely to be more like 3 to 6 months with all the complications that always happen with me. Yet someone else can have the same surgery and be feeling back to normal within a week or two.
I agree with rasmith to just make sure your boss is in the loop as you go through your recovery, and absolutely do not push yourself before you are ready. Your body needs your full attention to be on healing, not on the stresses of work.

Postby rasmith3530 » 10 Feb 2012, 19:52

I don't believe it to be so much doctor optomism as healthcare business greed. The sooner they can get you out of a hospital and back to work, the less they have to spend and the greater their profit margin.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10