LIS One Day Away

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS One Day Away

Postby rasmith3530 » 27 Feb 2012, 22:13

My CRS had originally talked about going general, but after discussion with the Anesthesiologist, we decided to go the other way. One reason the meds doc wanted to go that way was because of my other issues, plus, as you described, the after-effects. Although it was uncomfortable at first, I got used to it and things went smoothly. It did take a fair amount of time to regain feeling.
The one thing I did not like was that the surgical table did not have a hole for your face. It was either having my head uncomfortably to the side, or trying not t smother myself on my pillow. Thankfully, it's a quick procedure. In fact, I was completely surprised when they said I was done. Didn't feel a thing once numbed up from waist down.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 27 Feb 2012, 22:41

Wow, that's really different from my experience . . . I was wheeled in, and I think the anesthesiologist snuck up on me from behind, because the next thing I knew, I woke up in recovery. I never knew what was happening.
Yes, once the epidural kicks in, everything is nice and numb. All you have to do now is manage any pain you might have, once the epidural wears off completely.
I'm glad your surgery is over and done with. Now you can concentrate on getting better. :)
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby rasmith3530 » 27 Feb 2012, 23:04

That, of course, is my problem at the moment. The pain is actually not too bad without any chemical assist so far. In fact, it has appeared to go down some since I got home, as long as I don't directly sit on my butt.
Right now, I have the fishnet underwear they put on me in the OR. Under that, there appears to be what is either a large wad of gauze, or a maxi-pad by my butt. Beyond that, who knows, space, the final frontier perhaps, or maybe a black hole. :-)
I've experienced what I believe to be gas a couple times, hopefully. My pants aren't soiled, so that's my guess. Almost felt at one point like I could have a BM, but then the feeling went away.
I'm not sure what to do with all the fancy new hardware/clothing. My instructions say that I can shower tomorrow. They also tell me to take a sitz bath twice per day and after every bowel movement. The nurse stated that, as an alternative, I can use the hose and wand in my shower. They also gave me a supply of Tucks pads with instructions toplace them between my cheeks and change them out every 2 - 4 hours, as needed.
Of course, my question for those of you who have gone ahead, what do I do until tomorrow? Did you leave that stuff all in place until your first shower/sitzbath the following day? What if I do have to take a BM tonight?
Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance.
Rob
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby rasmith3530 » 27 Feb 2012, 23:51

Oh yes, for those of you that were brave enough to stray from home in those first days, what did you do if BM time came and you were nowhere near your sitzbath or shower?
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 28 Feb 2012, 00:14

rasmith3530 wrote:That, of course, is my problem at the moment. The pain is actually not too bad without any chemical assist so far. In fact, it has appeared to go down some since I got home, as long as I don't directly sit on my butt.
Right now, I have the fishnet underwear they put on me in the OR. Under that, there appears to be what is either a large wad of gauze, or a maxi-pad by my butt. Beyond that, who knows, space, the final frontier perhaps, or maybe a black hole. :-)
I've experienced what I believe to be gas a couple times, hopefully. My pants aren't soiled, so that's my guess. Almost felt at one point like I could have a BM, but then the feeling went away.
I'm not sure what to do with all the fancy new hardware/clothing. My instructions say that I can shower tomorrow. They also tell me to take a sitz bath twice per day and after every bowel movement. The nurse stated that, as an alternative, I can use the hose and wand in my shower. They also gave me a supply of Tucks pads with instructions toplace them between my cheeks and change them out every 2 - 4 hours, as needed.
Of course, my question for those of you who have gone ahead, what do I do until tomorrow? Did you leave that stuff all in place until your first shower/sitzbath the following day? What if I do have to take a BM tonight?
Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks in advance.
Rob

That's so different from my post-op experience . . . because for one thing, no one gave me post-op instructions. I was given a prescription for vicodin, and that was it. I didn't even have gauze on my bottom - nothing. They put the mesh undies on me, and that was it.
I asked my crs about baths - either sitz or regular - and he said they didn't help with the healing, but that I could take them for comfort, if I wanted. So, I did take a few - but not at first. I simply kept the area as clean as possible (by using sterile gauze to lightly dab any drainage - and I had very, very little) - and I rested, a lot.
I made sure to take Miralax for several days after my surgery - and I didn't have a post-op bm until two days afterward. It stung, just a little, but the Miralax really helped. --- After a bm, I would have my hubs carefully wash the area with a peri-care bottle of warm water (basically, just a small plastic bottle with a squirt end), after which I would get in the shower and let the water wash the area.
Eventually, as the area shrinks (and it does shrink, after awhile), it's easier to clean. At that point, damp Q-tips can be CAREFULLY used to lightly clean the area after a bm - again, I would suggest that this be done very carefully and lightly.
I never used Tucks, but some people have. I just went without underwear (probably easier for a woman to do) and wore a long robe, so that my bottom could air out.
If you have a bm during the night, I'd be surprised. Well, it didn't happen for me, because I didn't have any food in my stomach. I was told not to eat after midnight, the day of my surgery - and I ate very lightly for two days before my surgery.
Hang in there! You just need to get past the first few days. :)
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby workingonit » 28 Feb 2012, 10:21

Congratulations Rob!
Hope you have a wonderful day today, well as excellent as can be had so soon after surgery.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby pat123 » 28 Feb 2012, 15:22

Hang in there, Rob!
Hope you heal quick... the worst is behind you, so to speak...
pat
pat123
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Sue1962 » 28 Feb 2012, 18:20

I really didn't get any post op instructions either, although he did tell me to use the tucks. I was given percocet for pain, and I never took any. I did take some 800mg Ibuprofen. When I got home from my surgery, my husband removed the gauze bandage and I got in the tub for a nice long soak. I wore long t shirts and no undies for a week. I also soaked in the tub 4 times a day and took my miralax 2x a day the first few days. I didn't have a BM the day after my surgery, but did the day after that with no problems. I used the tucks after my baths for the first few days and then stopped. I had no problems at all. I did post my post op recovery everyday for the first week if you want to use that as a reference. So glad you are on the other side and can now start to heal. I will say, I have had not 1 problem and I am almost 2 months post op. I am eating, working and doing all the things I did before my AF and have not looked back since. You will be there soon!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby workingonit » 28 Feb 2012, 19:24

Sue,
Is your fissure healed?
So glad you are back to a normal life!
It's very encouraging .
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 28 Feb 2012, 19:29

Tanya (woi) -
Sue is the one who held my hand during my ordeal. She's really an inspiration to all of us.
Hope you're feeling good, btw. :)
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure