What I've Found Successful in the Treatment of Anal Fissure

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

What I've Found Successful in the Treatment of Anal Fissure

Postby fredly » 12 Mar 2012, 22:03

I have had trouble with an anal fissure for over two years, and it has been a living hell, to say the least. I initially developed the problem when I was in liver failure and bile was not flowing into the intestine to help digest fatty foods, so I became constipated over a period of time and was to be the beginning of quite a trying journey to find something to help remedy the problem. The pain was beyond any type of pain I have ever experienced and there were times at work that I thought I could not continue with my job. That is when I decided to get aggressive with this condition so I could get my life back.
I began my quest for treatment by visiting a colorectal surgeon, and he said although I did have an anal fissure, he was not going to operate due to the immunosuppression medications I had been taking.....this would cause a very prolonged healing process for me so surgery was not an option. He prescribed a cream for me which was nothing more than zinc oxide paste, which is a mucous membrane protectant, and did very little to remedy my condition. After trying this ointment for several days and getting no relief, I decided to embark on my own course of treatment to attempt to find something that would give me some relief.
I began by seeing another MD, an Internist, who prescribed an ointment for me called ANALPRAM. It is a prescription only medication that at times gave me instant relief from the pain and itching so I continued using it while I continued the search for a multi-tiered approach to solving this problem. Below are the additional steps that I tried, and after about 7 or 8 days, the difference is absolutely remarkable. I am smiling again and life is fun.
1. The importance of adequate water intake cannot be overemphasized since it is a lubricant for roughage as it passes through the colon. Inadequate water intake is a cause for constipation in many people. Average intake should be one liter per day at the minimum, up to two liters per day.
2. Adequate fiber intake is extremely important to avoid constipation. Lots of fruits and vegetables of course, along with other supplements to add fiber to the diet, such as Psyllium, Flaxseed Powder. I mix these with my powdered protein drinks and it is difficult to taste their presence. Best fruits are bananas, cantaloupe, papaya, and the usual vegetables.
3. I have tried various ointments and creams....below is a list what has worked best for me.
a. Analpram ointment (prescription)
b. Benadryl ointment (non prescription for the itching)
c. Wheatgrass Skin Ointment (contains anti-oxidants) (Available over the Internet)
d. Topical anesthetic containing one of the following: Prilocaine, Dibucaine, Xylocaine. These
are all good only for temporary relief from pain, but can be a lifesaver for those in
extreme pain. You may require a prescription for a topical anesthetic that is stronger
than the over the counter ointments available.
4. Besides insuring adequate intake of fruits and vegetables, it is extremely important to
have an intake of adequate protein to allow the healing process to occur. Average intake
of protein for an adult is about 36 gms of Protein/100 lbs, so if you weigh 200 lbs, you
should consume around 72 gms of protein per day. All foods are labeled as to protein
content, so this should not be too difficult to figure out.
5. Adequate intake of vitamins is of extreme importance to aid in the healing process.
Below are the most important ones, and are the ones I immediately started taking each
day:
a. Vitamin A
b. Vitamin C
c. Vitamine E
d. Zinc
e. B Complex
f. Bromelain
g. Arginine
h. Amino Acids (In case I don't consume my 75 or so grams of Protein per day).
6. Avoid foods that are hard to digest, such as popcorn, nuts, chips, etc. I have stopped
consuming those items and the difference was remarkable.
7. Take a stool softener every day without fail. I take two tablets in the evening and one in
the morning....makes all the difference in the world. (Colace, Dulcolax, non prescription)
8. Avoid the use of conventional toilet tissue: it is abrasive to the anal canal and will make it
extremely difficult for the fissure to heal. Get a package of Baby Wipes with Aloe and
Vitamin E, and I guarantee you will be a happy camper. Good source on the Internet for
this is something called Bamboo Bay Wipes....do a google search and you'll find it.
Absolutely heaven, I guarantee it.
So that is my story. Right now I am on the path to a full recovery and I believe in another week or so, I will be 90% cured. Glad to answer any questions.
Fred B
fredly

Topics: 1

Re: What I've Found Successful in the Treatment of Anal Fissure

Postby workingonit » 13 Mar 2012, 20:10

Hey Fred,
Thank you so much for the tips!
So you like the wheatgrass stuff too. I bought some but haven't tried it yet. How often do you apply it?
IMO careful with the analpram though. Hydrocortisone can thin your skin after prolonged use.
Great to hear you are doing better!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: What I've Found Successful in the Treatment of Anal Fissure

Postby grannymaria » 20 Mar 2012, 11:35

Great info Fred.. Glad your on your road to recovery..
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Re: What I've Found Successful in the Treatment of Anal Fiss

Postby olu » 14 Jul 2014, 17:37

ORGANIC SHEA BUTTER FROM WEST AFRICA-NEW HERE BUT JUST HAD TO SHARE THIS; WORKS IN SECONDS.
olu

Re: What I've Found Successful in the Treatment of Anal Fiss

Postby Savaici » 14 Jul 2014, 20:04

Hi olu,

Welcome to the Forum! Strangely enough, I have been using Shea butter in a moisturizer that I have, but not on my rear end but on very dry skin on my back. It is the only thing that relieves the pain on my skin, so you may have something there.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222