Even my CRS was blindsided by this!!!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Even my CRS was blindsided by this!!!!!

Postby 44alegna44 » 07 Apr 2012, 14:59

Just wanted to give an update of my unfortunate turn of events...now 8 weeks post LIS.
Week 4 and 5 post op were the best I've had since my fissure nightmare began 6 months earlier. I had a new spring in my step, felt amazing, looking forward to so much, especially my 20th anniversary, as I have mentioned in previous posts....wanted to be dancing on that day, April 4th!!! My next CRS visit would be week 7, which I was hoping would be my last.
Week 6 my 77year old mom was involved in an accident, rushed to emergency, admitted to hospial for several days....suffered head and back trauma. The end of that week she was released and I took her to my house for continued healing and follow-up doc visits.
So, week 7 the stress and emotional trauma of this whole ordeal took a toll on my system and I suffered from diahrea for a good 4 days straight. I had also cancelled my 7 week post-op visit as mom's needs were my priority. My colon felt extremely irritated and sore which I attributed to the diahrea....but each day it felt a little worse and by Monday of this past week, the start of my 8 week post op, there was that hot burning symptom that I remember so well from the pre-op days. My fear: I tore the fissure open, or possibly developed an infection near the incision.
Week 8, moms doing much better, and I called to schedule my follow-up and was positive I would get confirmation from the CRS upon examination of some sort of set-back.
April 4th, my 20th Anniversary, I'm ass up in the doctors office (no dancing for me). She spreads my cheeks which is all it took to see my fissure, and low and behold, it's 95% healed...ok, so let's do a digital and check inside by the muscle and incision site for any infection, and low and behold everything looks good and is healing nicely...hmmm so what's all this irritation, burning and discomfort coming from???? I HAVE A NEW FISSURE!!!! Inside and near the muscle, in 48 years of life I never had a fissure, now in 8 months I've had 2!!! I and she (my doc) were pretty much speechless, aside from "F Bombs" I immediately threw out there, neither one of us saw this one coming...
My LIS was extremely conservative, but since my first fissure healed really well, I'm asking for prayers and healing thoughts that this new one will heal successfully as well, if it doesn't, I'll be back for LIS#2. I'm back on the diltiazem, but we upped the dosage from 2%, to 4%, and keeping up with the other regimen's, sitz, fiber and water.
I'll be back at the doctor in 3 weeks and I'm just praying to see and feel some kind of improvement by then. If not, I don't think I'm gonna wait it out fo 6-8 weeks again, I'm just not mentally strong enough anymore to ride that roller-coaster again.
My best wishes are with you all always, and once again, all prayers and healing thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Re: Even my CRS was blindsided by this!!!!!

Postby workingonit » 07 Apr 2012, 15:09

Angel,
SO so sorry you have a second AF. It's not unheard of after LIS though and you were under a lot of stress. I bet it will heal faster.
Definitely sending healing thoughts to help!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby 44alegna44 » 07 Apr 2012, 16:07

Thanks soooo much Tanya! I hadn't read any other posts regarding this, and honestly, a second fissure never even entered my mind. I truly believed I had this one fissure and would find the means to an end of it and be done! Sounds pretty ignorant but I believed that with all the knowledge I've gained regarding fissures that I'd forever monitor what I ate and drank to ensure proper stools to prevent this from ever happening again! Wishful thinking I guess...I'm just wondering, and haven't asked the doctor, but one year ago I officially began menopause...could it be possible that the walls of my colon are thinning as a result of menopause and may be more compromised to this issue? I don't know, just grasping at straws I suppose, but I've certainly had bouts with constipation and diahrea with no problems at all afterwards, I'm just at such a loss as to the why is this happening? And if someone can tell me the trick to avoiding stress, aside from packing my bags and moving to Siberia...I'd love to hear it!!!!!
Thanks again Tanya, Angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Quiggles » 07 Apr 2012, 16:33

awe I am so sorry to hear about your setback Angel and stress and diaherria are two of the biggest culprits out there and I feel your pain. I am over 8 weeks post op and still no relief :(
On a happier note so glad your mother is doing better :)
My thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.
Lory
Quiggles
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby workingonit » 07 Apr 2012, 16:37

I don't know Angel,
The thought of Siberia sounds pretty stressful to me :D
Glad your mom is feeling better.
Wish I had an answer. I don't even know how I got my own AF.
That would be a good question for your doc though. If it could be at all hormonal related. I'd be curious to hear what she says as I am pretty perimenopausal myself.
Cheers,
Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby rasmith3530 » 08 Apr 2012, 13:12

Angel, Lory,
I am so sorry to here of your setbacks, and, they make me a bit nervous. I will celebrate 5 weeks post-op tomorrow and things have been going pretty well, but with my other health issues and such, I know that I am under a tremendous amount of stress right now. I'm looking forward to a reunion in June,and I just don't know how I would handle being back in that degree of pain. You two ladies definitely have my sincerest empathy.
I know that my last fissure, which occurred last year was far less painful, and the Nitro cream healed it, but this last one was terrible. All I can think to say is that I hope the best for you both. I wouldn't wish this kind of pain on my worst enemy. I feel badly that you both are going through it once again.
There are techniques out there to help reduce stress, things like meditation, certain exercises and much more. It is not easy though, I can say that from my own personal experience.
Take care, both of you.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby 44alegna44 » 09 Apr 2012, 14:22

Hey rob,
Thank you for your kind well wishes! More than anything I pray for strength to mentally and emotionally get through this once again...that for me is truly the challenge here. Trying to remain optimistic and positive once again, for my own sanity as well as my family's...this condition takes a toll on everyone around us, it can really beat you down mentally if you let it!
I hope you find a way to manage and cope with your health related stress issues..One thing for sure is sharing our stories and getting all this wonderful support is a definite pick-me-up:).
Please continue to stay focused on your positive recovery...and the wonderful time your gonna have at that reunion of yours...we're gonna want to hear all about it!
Best wishes, angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby rasmith3530 » 09 Apr 2012, 16:52

Angel, I do hate to report that I too may have suffered at least a minor setback. I described it in my thread in this surgery forum.
I do so hope things are improving for you. I wish so much that I could reach out and physically touch all of you that have been sharing the pain and agony of this crushing ailment. I love you all! :-)
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby jr2 » 16 Apr 2012, 21:11

Angel,
How are you doing?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby 44alegna44 » 19 Apr 2012, 14:57

Jr2, thanks for asking...I'm not as bad as post surgery. This new one is definitely not as bad as the first, but it's definitely there and I'm just keeping up with the whole ointment/diet/water/cautious lifestyle, in the hopes that it heals. I want to assure you and anyone else that's considering surgery, MY SET-BACK IS NOT THE NORM!!!! The lis was working great for me, but circumstances beyond my control caused this new hurdle...and I'm really UNLUCKY to have had this happen and in that ever so slight percentage of people that this could happen to. I just don't want my situation to discourage anyone whatsoever...I opted for lis once and would definitely do it all over again if conservative measures didn't work.
Best Wishes to All,
Angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist