Just had surgery today and have questions/concerns

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Just had surgery today and have questions/concerns

Postby Mr. lee » 27 Apr 2012, 20:37

So i just had LIS Surgery today and have questions.
How long should the pain last? It is not severe but is painful.
I have not had a BM yet but feel the need. I am obviously scared to death of this. Should i be? Should i have any concern because of the stitches possibly tearing?
I did take metamucil and coace about an hour ago but doubt that will help yet. Should I try to not have a BM the same day as the surgery?
Should i continue to get a warm bth after a BM or will this possibly cause issues with the stiches?
I was also using NitroBid prior to surgery and my Dr. said it was okay to keep using. This seems odd to me. Any suggestions?
I am so sorry for all the questions. I am fearful of doing something wrong and this not healing properly or worse yet getting an infection. Any input is greatl appreciated!!
Thank you all in advance!
Mr. lee

Topics: 1

Re: Just had surgery today and have questions/concerns

Postby jr2 » 27 Apr 2012, 21:46

Mr. Lee.
I'm not the best person to answer your questions as I haven't had surgery, and really your doctor is the best one to answer them, but I can tell you in the meantime there are a lot of surgical experiences you can search through on this forum for some really helpful advice.
That being said, most people who have had surgery say the first bowel movement after surgery is really scary but not nearly as bad in terms of pain as they expected it to be. I can't imagine it's better for you to hold back your bowel movement if you feel the urge to have one, even if it is the first day of your surgery. Far more important to make sure you don't strain and keep stool soft.
Though recovery from surgery is highly individual and depends a great deal on how your own body responds, most people seem to say the first week to 10 days is the hardest and then things vastly improve after that.
Warm baths after BMs are definitely recommended, as is keeping the surgical area very clean. Most post surgical patients use baby wipes and then jump into the tub after a BM.
Continued use of nitrobid again is a question for your doctor, but he might be suggesting it so that you have two approaches to healing going on at the same time.
I hope your healing is really swift and you are feeling better very soon!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Mr. lee » 28 Apr 2012, 08:34

Thank you for the advicw Jr2! I m greatful for your input and time. I noticed already that the pain is much different now. It is more from the surgery, the fissure pain and the from spasms seem to be gone or at minimum, much lass noticable.
I did have a BM last night but it was likely the remaining prep I had taken from surgery so it was very loose. I still fear the first real BM but as you stated it is something that is going to happen so let it be natural.
sorry so graphic but there is no other way to describe the things going on and what you feel.
I just hope this continues going well!
thanks again!
Mr. lee

Postby jr2 » 29 Apr 2012, 14:51

No apologies needed here on this board :) we talk about it all here, literally...
I hope things are continuing to improve for you today .
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby 44alegna44 » 29 Apr 2012, 15:59

Hi Mr. Lee,
Congratulations ...you got through your surgery and are on your way through recovery Image!
I had lis surgery, but mine was also coupled with hemmorhoids and a tag that were removed. Even with all that, my pain afterwards was much different than before. Beforehand, the fissure pain from my muscle spasming was off the charts, out of control and sheer misery. My surgical recovery pain was far different..much more bearable and more isolated for me. Within 24 hours I was able to control the pain with 2 advil, versus the 4 to 5 advil I would sometimes take in one shot before surgery because of the severity of my fissure pain.
The pain during bm's for me, after surgery, lasted for quite a while, about 10 days, but that was 99% affiliated with the hemmie/tag removal, not the lis surgery. My crs had forewarned me that the hemmie's and tag recovery would be worse than the lis itself. For me it was severe burning during bm's...but those who just had lis swear that the dreaded bm was by no means as bad as they anticipated.
Yes, by all means continue with those soaks, especially after bm's. I ditto what jr2 said, that area needs to be clean...it's critical to avoid infection.
As for me, I was not advised to continue on with my ointment....but each crs is different, and I would definitely follow the doc's instructions.
I wish you the best with your recovery and healing...and best of all should be the fact that the stress of the fissure pain and surgery are over. Now, relax as much as possible and remain at ease knowing you're on your way to "back to normal".
Image Angel
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jovidiva » 01 May 2012, 01:09

It took me 3 days to have a bm, after surgery. Doctor had me take 2 benefiber chewable's 2x a day with 8oz glass of water each time. Also, 1 colace 2x a day. on the 2nd night, after surgery, still no bm, so doc had me take Milk a Magnesia bc it does not cause cramps. Took half a dose on 2nd night, and full dose 3rd day in the morning. Had first BM, not a ton of pain as I had in the past, a week later, no worries, still a little sore, but nothing like the shards of glass it felt like before. Good Luck. Get Well
jovidiva

Postby Mr. lee » 01 May 2012, 17:00

Thank you all so much. It is nice to hear that what I am going through is normal and others have had same experiences. Unless you have been through this youcan not understand the feelings and pain.
thnaks again!
Mr. lee

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?