> 3 months post-op Botox w/Fissurectomy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: > 3 months post-op Botox w/Fissurectomy

Postby workingonit » 28 Apr 2012, 12:07

Wow sailorgal,
Guess you have no answers yet, but nice to have someone take you so seriously I bet.
Glad you feel better enough to be off the vicodin too!.
SO how long as it been since the botox/fissurectomy?
Which way are you leaning... more botox or LIS?
What a difficult decision!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby sailorgal » 01 May 2012, 20:16

Definitely. Even if things aren't better - I at least feel more confident about the team of docs that are taking care of me. It's been 3.5 months since my botox-fissurectomy.
As for whether I opt for 2nd botox or LIS; If you asked me last week, I would've said botox - this week, i'm considering LIS. Been having more post BM spasm-pain the last 4 days - ahh as the roller coaster continues... where are you at with your healing, Tanya?
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby workingonit » 01 May 2012, 21:33

Hey Sailorgal,
I am doing better today. Don't want to jinx myself though. I had a setback last week and decided I was ready to try TCM.
So it's been four days and although the intial exam made me much more sore again (the usual!), so far so good.
So the roller coaster continues for me too, but thanks for asking. :D
Perhaps the spasms returning is the last botox finally wearing off?
I guess if I was you, I would lean towards the LIS too.
Did you ask your 2nd doc how many LISs he has done?
Hope you don't have to wait too long!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby sailorgal » 05 May 2012, 21:00

Sad to say, my symptoms have steadily increased this week - today being the worst - back to feeling very reminiscent to how I was feeling in early january, pre-op. And with the increased pain (post BM spasms more intense and lasting 7-9 hours) have come the basket-case-emotions. I think you are right, Tanya, that it appears that the Botox has worn off for me - of not that, it's definitely failed in my case. Been in contact with the GI-doc who emailed me friday night to get in to see the CRS next week (sticking with my 2nd one) for an anuscope with local anesthesia to make sure there isn't more going on. Was put on antibiotics on Tuesday (which is also having an effect on my system); and have resorted back to 1 vicodin pill after BM's - but even today, with that and constant hot baths; the pain has been breaking thru. gotta cut this short, cuz it feels like i have to go again.
:(
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby workingonit » 05 May 2012, 22:01

Aw Sailorgal,
That sucks! Image
Glad things are moving quickly for the anuscope etc.
I sure hope things change for the better for you soon!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby jr2 » 05 May 2012, 22:44

Sailorgal,
I'm so so sorry to hear things are deteriorating for you. The roller coaster emotions are soooo familiar. And what's so disheartening is that you went with a pretty intense procedure in the first place with Botox and fissurectomy and yet still the drama continues. I'm glad it seems you've got a responsive and thorough medical team, and that you are getting in fairly quickly to be seen. My biggest frustration with doctor appointments, even with the doctors I like, is the ridiculous wait times for appointments. My doctors have been long suspecting the possibility of Crohn's with me too, which makes treatment decisions even harder. Its been an elusive diagnosis because if it is Crohn's it isnt acting the way doctors generally say Crohn's presents.
Anyway, I hope your exam goes well for you and doesn't leave you with any more pain to cope with afterward.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby sailorgal » 05 May 2012, 23:21

thanks guys,
I'm hoping someone can provide some advice on the following. so, I immediately took a vicodin before I went at 11pm tonight (so unusual, it's the second time for me today; i usually am a morning-gal). And after over 2 hours of being in the hot bath, i'm still in pretty bad pain - definitely don't see myself falling asleep anytime soon. The thing that's different is that in the past 3 days, i feel like i haven't been able to finish going (which is new for me), the stool is soft (and wackadoo - not totally digested, i think as a reaction to the antibiotics i was put on last tuesday) - which leaves me feeling like i have something left, stuck in my rectum. clean up has been pretty messy the last couple days (in the tub, making a mess). my doctor made an analogy, that like when something small gets stuck in the teeth, it's very painful and feels huge - well, this is so bad, bcz i feel like i'm stuck in a spasm on a large sharp object (even if it's probably small) - nothing will come out. i'm wondering if i should take some miralax to make things soo soft that nothing can possibly be left behind; a 2nd vicodin pill; resort to spending the rest of a sleepless night in the tub. it's been less than 3 minutes out and I'm already rocking in pain - gonna have to go back in.
anyone have trouble with this? i can't bear to manual "dig in there" to try to manually clear anything that might be obstructing it if that is what's going on....
ugh :(
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 06 May 2012, 00:33

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry. You're describing something that happens to me almost daily. The problem is that small amounts of stool have been retained in the rectum but there isn't enough volume in there to give your intestine the momentum of contraction to get it out. It's enough to make you feel miserable, but not enough to be able to expel it. I like your doctor's description of having something stuck in your tooth. I haven't found that taking anything like Miralax helps, if anything it kind of perpetuates the problem more. I guess if you took enough of it to create a purge it might help, but then you run the risk of diarrhea, or a lot of loose, burning stools. Sometimes, massaging the abdomen and in particular the lower left part can help encourage things to move out. Sitting in the hot bath with your knees to your chest might help too. Some people here have used a rectal bulb syringe with warm water in it. I've never tried that. Mostly, I pretty much am stuck waiting until the next time I really have to go, but the cycle doesn't take long to start again. Sometimes using a stack of books or a footstool to elevate your knees while you sit on the toilet can help open and relax the anal canal. But as you already know it is essential not to strain to try to get it out. Sometimes it does help to place a finger gently on the outside sphincter just to encourage it to relax. The other thing to keep in mind is that when you're in such a bad way as you are right now, just the irritation and pain itself can make you feel like you have to go more than you really have to. I have tried the manual option too, and most of the time that has just made things worse... Not always, but enough times that I don't try that any more.
Also, while you are on antibiotics you want to take a good probiotic several times a day, 2to3 hours after or before your dose of antibiotics. Antibiotics wreak havoc on your bowel.
I wish there was more I could suggest. I so feel for you, and have had those long nights in the tub too. I so hope the Vicodin kicks in for you soon.
:(
jr2

Postby sailorgal » 06 May 2012, 00:38

ps, it was a impacted stool (and quite a bit) - after waking my mom up with an across the country phone call and consulting with her (she's a retired nurse) - i decided I could not bare to go to the ER and ended up clearing the impacted stool on my own.
holy crap - that was disgusting. i hope no one ever has to do that and feel for anyone who has suffered from that.
and thanks for your response, jr - man-o-man i am sorry you experience that daily - that's how i felt the last couple days too - like, "ugh, well, if at least it gets out with the next BM" only the next one left something there too; except maybe it was collecting in size.
pps, i think i discovered why my doctor recommended me to stay away from lettuce leaves - which i do, except i've been eating steamed kale and that seems to be what mostly impacted me.
jesus, what is this circus we are all a part of?
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 06 May 2012, 00:48

I'm hoping you're having relief now... Yes, it is awful to do the manual thing, and mostly it's scary because you just don't know what you're going to do to the fissure in the process, or if you're going to give yourself a new fissure.
I'm finding I need to avoid insoluble fiber as much as possible, and to also make sure veggies are well cooked. So your doctor's advice sounds good to me.
I so hope you can get some sleep...
A circus it is. I even dream of myself now with fissures, so I don't even get a vacation in my dreams!
jr2