> 3 months post-op Botox w/Fissurectomy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: > 3 months post-op Botox w/Fissurectomy

Postby sailorgal » 06 May 2012, 16:27

i definitely had more relief today after last night's ordeal. got to sleep after 3am - had the last day of a 3-day continuing education course to go to, the instructor was understanding towards me showing up late. I was much more comfortable today until, I of course had to go after I got home. But, now am seeming to able avoid the "impacted" feeling by finishing in the tub - which is a new messy low, but preferable over the pain I've experienced the last couple days. now able to comfortably tolerate a heating pad and vicodin and pain is manageable.
man, jr! i didn't even consider having them in my dreams! i hope to hear from my GI-doc in the next day as to whether he wants me to stay on the antibiotics or not. and will call first thing in the morning to schedule the anuscope with the CRS.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby jr2 » 06 May 2012, 17:49

Sailorgal...
I am really glad you're having a somewhat more comfortable day. I don't know how you even managed to make it to the class today after what you went through last night. As far as the tub? Hey, whatever works. I actually had to give up the tub because of all things, get this... I am so underweight now that I began to develop pressure sores on my skin where the sitting bones are... geez... Talk about a circus...
I hope things are on the upswing for you now and that tomorrow marks the day of getting things rolling toward healing for you!
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby sailorgal » 07 May 2012, 20:59

thanks jr!
geez, pressure sores? from sitting in the tub? or sitting in general? What are you doing about those?
(I'm a physical therapist, I naturally get inquizzitive in other people's physical impairments wanting to help where I can)
looking back, it might have been perhaps insane for me to still go to the course - but I couldn't bare to miss it for a couple things, most importantly, to have something else to focus my thoughts on at least provided me some kind a distraction from the pain. I figured if i was going to be in pain either way, i'd rather be doing something that might disract me from it, that i enjoy than have my pain force me to stay home and be miserable at how much it is debilitating to my life. and naturally, bcz of my line of work, my colleagues (and the course teacher) are all health care practitioners so they are super compassionate and accomodating - i don't feel so squeemish sharing my issues, bcz, again, health care practitioners don't get squeemish and are compassionate and helpful in any way they can be. it was still pretty miserable, but less so than if i just stayed home in my misery.
at any rate, i was able to get squeezed in for an anuscope with my CRS, i am officially switching to my 2nd one since the 1st one hasn't been much help to me and i have more trust in my 2nd one, especially since he's teamed up with my GI-doc.
so, hopefully i will get (good/helpful) information with tomorrow's appointment.
side note, i feel fortunate with my current team as I realize I am able to get in much more quickly with them than my former doctor (or than most other people can get in with theirs), purely as a coincidence to my connections with the hospital where I work. I tried to play the patient (no pun intended) game with my first doc, but after 5 months of not getting very far, have decided to trade in and utilize my contacts for quicker response/care. no sense in further delaying my healing or care at this point, enough is enough.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 07 May 2012, 23:58

Sailorgal,
Your outlook is really so inspiring. It really is. I think you are so smart to be feeding your mind and heart with work you love, even though it must be incredibly difficult and painful for you to get through it with so much pain. I'm glad you're taking charge regarding your care and feeling decisive about it. It's really such a big thing to feel like you're moving forward toward something rather than just languishing with no progress.
Thank you for asking about me... At first I didn't know what was going on. I thought I was just sore from sitting in the tub. It started out as bruising. But one time getting out of the tub I noticed that those two spots where I sit were red with a redness that wasn't going away and the skin was starting to break down. Fortunately it occurred to me what was going on and I took it seriously, not allowing myself to sit in the tub any more and ensuring I was keeping any pressure off the area. It made things really difficult in the beginning because even sitting on something soft was a problem (and sometimes I still get sore just sitting on the sofa), but fortunately the ability to ambulate (unlike say someone in a wheelchair) I knew it should heal without complication if I just kept pressure off the area and moved around as much as I could to encourage circulation. They did heal over a few weeks' time but it was a process. If I sit for too long now the area does get sore, but I try not to sit in one position for too long any more. If I could gain some weight it would definitely help. Unfortunately, fissures are just one chronic problem I deal with, so my activities are pretty limited during the day depending on the level of pain coming from multiple places in my body.
I hope you'll keep us posted after your visit. Good luck!
jr2

Postby sailorgal » 08 May 2012, 08:31

Thanks jr! It really means a lot to read your words of validation acknowledging the struggle and effort in just trying to keep sane in such a challenging situation. Will keep you posted on today's visit. As for your sitting situation, it sounds like you have things under control. Have you happened to look up any pressure-relief cushions? They can be as simple as a square piece of egg-crate foam to at least provide more pressure-relief when you do sit for any time.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Neen » 08 May 2012, 10:12

sailorgirl, you have been through hell! I am so sorry for you! I really hope you are painfree very soon. I am inspired that you are getting through it all. I guess we do what we have to right? One hellish day at a time. I hope your hellish days end soon..I will be thinking of you and praying for relief! :D
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby 44alegna44 » 08 May 2012, 15:45

Sailorgal,
So glad to know you feel more comfortable with this new team you've assembled to help with what you're dealing with. Amazing, you have to resort to a Plan B just to get the medical care you deserve! How these doc's can just keep putting you off when you're clearly in distress is a disgrace Image ! I'm glad you forged ahead, and got someone to pay attention, by whatever means....you are so right, enough is enough.
Best Wishes for Positive Results,
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

1st CRS is officially fired; 2nd CRS is hired! :)

Postby sailorgal » 08 May 2012, 19:43

Thank you, everyone, for your incredibly supportive words of encouragement! I find it very helpful and comforting as I (and we) navigate thru this circus.
so today's update: went to see my CRS - he confirmed that the fissure is large-and-in-charge - apparently no sign of healing; did not do an anuscope due to the level of continued inflammation, swelling and was able to get the necessary information he needed regarding ruling out the possibility of there being an abscess. after a lengthy discussion of my next step - i've decided to give the Botox a 2nd go, getting it done next monday in the office, under local. arranged the week off from work. and he is totally supportive to do whatever I need meaning if after 2 weeks, i don't feel better or like I'm healing, he will happily move forward with sphincterotomy. So, good news is that I won't have to wait another possibly agonizing 3 months before the next step if the botox doesn't work. I just couldn't justify going LIS yet with the possible/low long-term risks in young women if after I have children without truly exhausting all other less invasive options. And will happily do LIS if Botox fails a 2nd time, being at peace that I truly exhausted all other options. Call me unrealistically optimistic (or in denial), but I truly believe there's no reason why this fissure can't heal with Botox rather than LIS...will certainly keep you posted
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 08 May 2012, 20:32

Sailorgal...
Sounds like you had a really good visit. I think your reasoning is very sound and makes a great deal of sense. While it is really difficult to go through painful days, I so admire that you are remaining so level in your thinking and taking the whole picture into account. Above all you're trusting in your intuition, and I don't think you can ever go wrong in doing that. LIS is always an option, so it's not like closing a door by choosing Botox for another round, especially in light of your plans for childbearing.
You might want to take a peek at this..
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21805112
I'm wishing the very best for you and that this time the Botox gets this fissure healed for you.
jr2

Postby jr2 » 08 May 2012, 20:53

Oh, and thanks for the suggestion on the cushion! I'll look for one. Image
jr2