> 3 months post-op Botox w/Fissurectomy

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: > 3 months post-op Botox w/Fissurectomy

Postby sailorgal » 16 May 2012, 11:27

Hi Angle, jr, and fellow AF-Forum-Friends,
Today, another day - starting to extend out my dosage times for Vicodin from 6 hrs to 8 hours.
Had my 1st BM yesterday around noon and was happy to be in full-on mid-vicodin dose bcz it was pretty uncomfortable. The BM passed pretty swiftly, but noticed clean up is a bit messier and pain kept me in the tub for close to an hour before i transferred to a heating pad for the next several hours. Happily received visits from my shipmates last night which was a great mood-lifter-butt-distracter.
been wanting to back off of my vicodin, but my mom and boyfriend think i'm silly for doing that and i agree, i got myself in big trouble last time. it's just slowing my system down so much - haven't had a BM yet today and i'm sure it's bcz of the vicodin. but the important thing is i'm comfortable, enough to do some laundry and straightening up around the apartment. will take my next vicodin dose in probably the next half hour or so . . . it's so hard to tell/know when to back off of it.
Angel, as for the botox: I've had it done 2 ways: the 1st was under general and with a significant fissurectomy so, i attribute a lot of my post-op pain and discomfort to the fissurectomy (and they sewed the fissure closed, but it retore anyway within the 1st couple weeks). To be honest, I have no idea when botox begins to take affect or how to tell. This time, i received it under local anesthesia - he injected it directily into the muscle tissue underlying the fissure (on either side) and did some debridement. It was definitely feeling spasmy sore the 1st day until i got on top of my pain meds, hard to tell if that's due to the debridement of the scar tissue (which i'm guessing) or due to the botox. I did notice the BM was not clean yesterday, even after cleaning up, i discovered there was still stuff left behind when i was taking a shower - that's a first. and last night was my 1st experience having flatulence incontinence. so, your guess is as good as mine. All I know is that on a whole, i'm doing and feeling WAY better than after my 1st procedure at only 2 days out - grant it, the procedure was much less invasive this time around. i don't think i really answered your questions, please let me know if there is anything else I can clarify for you.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby 44alegna44 » 16 May 2012, 15:38

Hi Sailorgal and thanks for that info . I do understand better, but I guess the bigger question I had was how long before the effects kick in..the flatulence incontinence makes me think it has already begun to work...my surgeon did present this as another alternative for me this time around, if I need more surgery. Before my surgery the first time around, my crs wasn't particularly optimistic about going the botox route for me...but now, since I did have lis once, she said that we might want to consider trying the botox before a 2nd lis....The decision is, of course, all up to me, but I'm still so confused as to what's best. Dilemma, Dilemma, Dilemma Image
I'm so happy you're having better days, and pray they continue on Image
Best Wishes,
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby sailorgal » 16 May 2012, 17:55

Interesting dilemma. When was your fIrst LIS? And when did u have your reoccurrence/setback? I figure (as my CrS as said many times) it can't hurt to try Botox, Just depends on your sense of urgency, etc. the flatulence (and post BM-cleanse/leakage) gives me a sense it's due to the Botox already taking effect. And luckily those symptoms are transient.
My BM at 3:45 today came again with urgency - managed to pop 2 Vicodin in my mouth on the way to the toilet. Finishing was messy again , left with an impacted feeling still having to finish in tub (yuck), but super sore ad swollen after, so been laying low since then and trying a contrast bath 10 min each:hot bath, cold bath (Tupperware with ice cold water next to tub). A bit time consuming, but I figure it can't hurt. Oh and managed to do some guided meditation today when I was still comfortable, before the BM. So, remaining hopeful...
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby 44alegna44 » 16 May 2012, 19:10

Sailorgal,
I posted my set-back story under "Even my crs was blindsided by this"...if you get time to check it out, you'll get a detailed account and understanding of what happened to me. But, my lis was back in February...my new-tear was 7 weeks later...I'll be back to the doctor soon for another check-up and discussion...
I am remaining hopeful for you as well...glad you had time to meditate and relax Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jr2 » 16 May 2012, 19:11

Sailorgal,
Having a rough time of it here, but I want you to know I've been thinking so much of you today and wishing from all my heart all the best for continued healing.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Suckdiddlyucksflanders » 16 May 2012, 19:22

Sailorgal, thank you do much for posting this. I had a fissurectomy only almost three weeks ago. Hard to tell, but I might be getting better or the pain is maybe not lasting quite as long but it's such a slight difference I'm not even really sure. Had my first post op appointment. Went well, healing is taking place but my doc said if I don't see improvement in the next week or two we'd try Botox. Like you, I don't really see a downside to it do willing to give it a whirl if needed. It just makes me feel better knowing your experience is going ok. I know you still have pain but o really you seem happy with your choice.
Jr, I so so so wish I could take your pain and suffering away!! (true for everyone here). I'm thinking about you.
Suckdiddlyucksflanders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby jr2 » 17 May 2012, 10:42

Flanders,
Thank you so much for your well wishes. Things are still really brutal here right now.
I really hope you start to see more improvement soon. One of the things that is so hard about these fissures is when someone finally does muster up the courage and resolve to have a surgery done (after being so drained from suffering from the fissure usually for a long time), it isnt over yet and even more pain awaits after the surgery, and sometimes the surgery doesn't solve the problem and requires more intervention. There is something that feels so overwhelming and exhausting to me about that. I don't know how all of you do it. I really so greatly admire your courage.
jr2

Postby jr2 » 17 May 2012, 22:23

Sailorgal,
How is it going?
Thinking of you and hoping things are improving.
jr2

First relief in 6 months!

Postby sailorgal » 20 May 2012, 21:12

Hi jr and fellow forum friends! Thanks for the shout Out. I am cautiously happy to announce that I have turned a corner this weekend. I had tentative Plans going into the weekend of cohosting a party Friday night and a 4 hr drive each way for an out of town wedding with a day of sailing. Way ambitious, but my boyfriend knew my Participation was tentative and on the spot decided all depending on how things were going. Well. Party went well, just took a dose of Vicodin when feeling symptoms at night but even enjoyed dancing! Saturday, was able to ge thru routine in timely manner for a comfortable car ride. And was then caught off guard during the reception of having a 2nd BM. And. It was the 1st one in 6 months that wasn't excruciating necessitating a follow up with a tub. Was tender, couple dots of blood, took my Vicodin and layed low for a bit until symptoms subsided. And danced some at the end of that night too. This morning, no BM, headed out for sailing whilst a little unsure, and had a BM at a historic manor -NO Bath. Tender, resolved with Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Have noticed some flatulence incontinence starting Thursday night and some minor leakage stuff, which tells
Me the Botox is working and those side effects are transient and soooo minor to deal with in exchange for the pain! I realize a setback is all to easy, so remaining cautious with my diet. But otherwise, am experiencing relief I haven't felt in 6 months. I am so encouraged and relieved
By this. Going to stick to the course (as well as the consistent meditating I've added) in hopes for full recovery and healing! It is worth hanging in there, as exhausting and Bleek it gets, to exhaust ALL possible options of treatment! Sending out continued golden healing vibes to all this bums that hurt.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 21 May 2012, 13:18

Sailorgal,
I wish I could type more right now but just wanted to say how wonderful it feels to read that you are feeling so much improvement and are feeling so optimistic. This is truly so so awesome to read.
jr2