SAD done on Friday

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: SAD done on Friday

Postby marinboy » 22 May 2012, 12:11

Hi everyone,
So I am back in SF after a long flight both ways. Proud to say no pain meds for either flight (smart or stupid not sure, Lol). The flight to NY was much worse I should say. Since I know we can talk freely here... I will say my bm this morning was pain free and no blood. I am very sore this morning but probably from sitting for seven hours yesterday. I am still limping and moving slow... but no where near fissure pain.
jr2,
Thank you for your well wishes, it means so much to me. Hope you are healing!
Angel,
Yes I heard back from Wecc as well and he gave me confidence with his great recovery. I think it would be wise to at least talk to this Crs and see if this procedure might be right for you. He seems to be very experienced with the sad procedure.
Thank you to all for your healing thoughts, I wish the same of course back to all of you. I promise to keep you all posted on my recovery.
marinboy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby 44alegna44 » 22 May 2012, 14:54

Hey Marinboy,
No pain...definite gain Image Image
So glad all is so far so good Image !
If I must seek further treatment, I will surely examine this route as a possibility for me...did you use the same crs as Wecc? I'm not sure if there is more than one in LI that performs this. If you can pm me your docs name, if it isn't the same as wecc's...I'd greatly appreciate it Image
Best wishes for continued healing Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby marinboy » 22 May 2012, 15:43

Hi Angel,
Yes WECC and I used the same Crs. He is worth a call at least, pm me if you need his number. Best of luck.
Marin boy
marinboy
Fibre Addict

Postby sailorgal » 23 May 2012, 04:13

Marin Boy,
Thank you so much for posting your update. I am also a short car ride from LI and am presently recovering from my 2nd Botox injection. I had a discussion with my 2nd opinion CRS in nyc re: SAD, and he was adamently against it. It seems like his view is more governed by a local NYC guy that did it with a device he created himself - was not respected within the CRS community, and was viewed as a "quack looking to make money" with a dangerous - uncontrolled technique and that this particular guy was pompous/arrogant about it - but that he has recently retired? so, his views are perhaps influenced by his professional experience by someone that perhaps wasn't so reputable. I totally trust my cRS otherwise, so that dissuaded me from considering it. but i have to say, if my 2nd botox fails - i am tempted to reconsider it (SAD) before considering LIS. Please continue to keep us updated on your recovery. And is there any difference in risk to doing to men versus women?
Thanks! and congratulations on your courage to go the extra several thousand miles for recovery!
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby marinboy » 23 May 2012, 07:54

sailorgal wrote:Marin Boy,
Thank you so much for posting your update. I am also a short car ride from LI and am presently recovering from my 2nd Botox injection. I had a discussion with my 2nd opinion CRS in nyc re: SAD, and he was adamently against it. It seems like his view is more governed by a local NYC guy that did it with a device he created himself - was not respected within the CRS community, and was viewed as a "quack looking to make money" with a dangerous - uncontrolled technique and that this particular guy was pompous/arrogant about it - but that he has recently retired? so, his views are perhaps influenced by his professional experience by someone that perhaps wasn't so reputable. I totally trust my cRS otherwise, so that dissuaded me from considering it. but i have to say, if my 2nd botox fails - i am tempted to reconsider it (SAD) before considering LIS. Please continue to keep us updated on your recovery. And is there any difference in risk to doing to men versus women?
Thanks! and congratulations on your courage to go the extra several thousand miles for recovery!

Sailorgal,
Yes I believe the "Quack" your Crs is talking about is Dr Soehn. The crs I used learned the SAD from him. My Crs in SF wanted me to go the Botox route and if that did not work then the lis. After reading WECC's post I figured if SAD did not work for me I could always go back and do the lis. I took a chance on this procedure based on my consultation with this LI Crs and WECC's post. I am not sure about the difference between men and women for the SAD experience. My recovery is going fine so far (fingers crossed). My pain scale is at a 1 or 2... last week a 7. I still do limp around and move very slowly. I guess to sum up my recovery I am doing much better (I refuse to get to cocky, you never know with these darn fissures). I will continue with updates and questions if any. I hope everyone a pain free day.
Marin boy
marinboy
Fibre Addict

Postby jr2 » 23 May 2012, 09:28

Marinboy,
So happy to hear you are still seeing improvement! Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it continues and you are restored to full health in the coming days and weeks!
Sailorgal,
I can't comment about what your CRS said about Dr. Sohn's personality or motivations, and it is really interesting to hear his perspective. But I can say that I've read Dr. Sohn's studies and his methods for developing the standardized dilation procedure. Before Dr. Sohn retired I believe he had performed close to 3000 SAD procedures and had a very high success rate with a miniscule complication rate using this procedure. Further, he was an active participant over on the Yahoo Anal Fissure Support Group for awhile, answering questions for fissure sufferers and being very supportive and informative and acknowledged the controversy in his specialty over his introduction of SAD. In my experience it isn't very common for a busy physician to be so available to an online support group. Yes, there was a lot of controversy back when he decided to start offering this new option to patients, but I don't imagine it's that much different from anyone who tries to sing a different tune in the chorus. SAD is a commonly accepted and practiced procedure in other countries, and more research studies keep coming out about its safety and efficacy, and it seems that though it is slow to happen we are hearing of at least some physicians in the US who are offering it with successful outcomes.
As far as the difference between women and men, Dr. Sohn would often dilate to a smaller diameter in women to compensate both for smaller anatomy and the possibility of an obstetrical history. If the first dilation was unsuccessful it could always be repeated again for a longer period of time or using a larger dilator.
If I lived just a short drive to Long Island, I would have been out to WECC's and Marinboy's doctor a long time ago. Just my two cents for what they're worth.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby sailorgal » 23 May 2012, 15:23

That's very interesting. I have to admit I was surprised by my new CRS's response to my question re:SAD, bcz he is otherwise a very methodical, mild manner surgeon who supports any conservative treatment over LIS. But those devides within a profession are bound to happen when an unpopular technique is proposed or explored. Physiologically, SAD makes sense to me - it's based on the same principles I work from re: my manual treatments in my PT practice...
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby marinboy » 23 May 2012, 16:56

Sailorgal,
I mentioned to my SF Crs on how I read about people self healing using dilitation slowly over time. She responded a few of her clients have healed this way. I asked her what she thought of the SAD method, her response was "I am not trained with this technique, I am a trained surgeon"
I am not trying to sell you on the SAD, because I have yet to see if it worked on me... but give you another Crs outlook on the procedure.
marinboy
Fibre Addict

Postby tiredofpain » 23 May 2012, 17:23

Dr.Sohn from what I read on the web was not a quack :) He was a certified CRS, and just because he was trying something new does not make him a quack. Few of the sites also mentioned him as one of top CRS in the NY. Most of the young CRSs are taught that dilation is bad (This is the lords stretch, done manually). There is no control or standard since each CRS may have different technique, which can result in incontinence. Dr.Sohn had initially developed PBD method (Pneumatic Balloon Dilation used by a CRS in OH and in Germany) and then switched to the rigid dilators used by few NY CRS (These were cheaper to manufacture and maintain).
Dilation really helps and I can tell you this from my experience with self dilation. I have been able to maintain my fissure from flaring up by gentle manual dilation (I know sounds gross, but I will try anything to not have fissure pain :) ). My fissure is dormant now and once in a while it will remind me I am still here ! My issue is I have too much scar tissue from fisusre healing and re-tearing, which stops my muscles from streching completely.
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby jr2 » 29 May 2012, 13:57

Hi Marinboy,
Just wondering how you're doing with your recovery?
jr2

Topics: 15