Not healing how long to wait for surgery

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Not healing how long to wait for surgery

Postby Badd825 » 02 Jun 2012, 16:47

Hi Everyone, I've had pain since having 2 thrombosed clots removed from hemmies. I've had this in the past and healed within a week. This was 6 months ago. I haven't had a pain free moment since. I went to a crs who diagnosed rectal spasms and rx nitro. Did not help. Had Botox 2 months ago. Did not help. LIS was his recommendation. Went for a 2nd opinion. Crs said give Botox 3 months. I'm at the end of my rope. How long have people waited for LIS. How do I even know if I'll heal when I can't heal from this. I have burning, stinging and a deep ache. Doing all the right things with fiber, water, exercise, sitz bath. I'm miserable and crying all the time. When I use nitro it is never clean in there. I think this is preventing my healing. If you put feces on any wound how would it ever heal? Does anyone have this problem? is this a normal part of AF. Does feces stay in that area but I never knew it cause I didn't have a problem. Doctors shrug when I ask this. Please any advice would be appreciated. Thank God for this support
Badd825
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: Not healing how long to wait for surgery

Postby jr2 » 02 Jun 2012, 20:54

Hi Badd825
I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time. Many of us can relate to how you are feeling. (unfortunately). Some of your questions don't have easy answers (unfortunately). The decision on when to have surgery is so individual and really depends on so many factors. You definitely have to have a doctor you fully trust and believe in, who is very experienced with the procedure. The timing is different for everyone. I'm not a good candidate for surgery so I'm kind of stuck just trying to learn how to live with multiple chronic fissures. I reached the end of my rope a long time ago, and the rope is fraying.
Anyway, you are right about the residual feces on the fissure. Are your stools too loose? When you clean up after a BM what are you doing? Some people find it helpful to soak in a sitz bath after a BM, some use a shower wand, some even use a rectal bulb syringe with some water in it to get up in there and get clean. It makes a huge difference for my pain levels for the day if there is even the slightest residual of stool left so I am pretty meticulous about cleaning.
While most people don't have trouble healing from LIS, there is a small percentage of people who do have trouble with the wound not healing. It isn't as common as you'd think but it does happen. Good postoperative wound care and lots of baths help prevent infection and also promote healing, but still, it is a mystery why sometimes these things happen.
Are you still suffering with hemorrhoid problems? Hemorrhoids are the evil twin of fissures and they often go together hand in hand.
I'm so sorry there isn't more wisdom I can offer. Tears are pretty common for me too. Just wanted to pop in and say I totally understand feeling desperate for relief and let you know that you aren't alone in your tears.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Badd825 » 03 Jun 2012, 03:26

Hi Jr2
I appreciate your response so much. I feel alone even though I have the support and love of my family. They don't truly get it. My stool is too soft I think. I wipe with prep h wipes and soak for at least 15 minutes in the tub afterwards. Soaking led to a vaginal infection that led to 3months of agony.I have to be careful about soaking on top of everything else. The
only thing worse than rectal pain is rectal and vaginal pain. I've tried the rectal syringe but it stimulates more poop and it's explosive sometimes. I didn't think daily enemas were safe. I fainted last week because I di this and then used nitro paste. If my husband wasn't home it hink I might have cracked my head open in the bathroom. I thought hmmmm maybe something else hurting might be a relief! This makes you CRAZY!!! The pain I feel is so deep but the 2nd crs saw it at the surface. Can the fissure run deep or does it radiate or can spasms feel like an achey burning? I do still have some hemorrhoids but both togethers didn't think they were significant enough to cause me this much distress. I'm so glad to have somewhere to address my concerns and to have strangers that care and understand. WOW! I'm sorry for your troubles, not having the option of surgery must be worse. I will pray for you since greater miracles have happened I'm sure we can all heal from this
Badd825
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Postby jr2 » 03 Jun 2012, 10:13

Badd825,
Yes, getting bowel movements to work just right for fissures can take a very very very long time and lots of experimenting to try and find the combination of diet and other things that work for you. It is so frustrating when every day while we're doing this experimenting our fissures keep sending us to the corner of the classroom. But it is the most essential part of getting these things to heal. Are your BMs too soft because of your diet or stool softeners?
The pain of fissures can be very deep and very severe, and sometimes the smallest fissures cause the biggest pain. The anal area is so rich in nerves, and when nerves get irritated they can cause all sorts of types of pain.
Im so sorry you got a vaginal infection from soaking. *sigh. It can seem at times like everything is working against you. I know what you mean about vaginal pain with fissure pain and how hard it is. I had to have surgery a few years ago in the vulvar/vaginal area and I have permanent nerve pain there too and I think it makes my experience of fissure pain that much more intense because the nerves in that area are always on red alert.
If you continue to have lightheaded episodes with the nitro. ask your doctor to switch you to topical nifedipine or diltiazem. You can get the same benefits as the nitro. without the side effects.
I know what you mean about being distracted by other pain and how oddly that can be a relief. I cut my finger in the kitchen a week ago and it hurt so much for a few minutes I had some relief from the fissures! As I watched that cut heal over the next week it made me so wish my fissures would heal that well and that fast too.
I hope you have a more comfortable day today. And thank you so much for your prayers. That is very kind of you. I return them on your behalf too.
jr2

Topics: 15