Jax's LIS Diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Jax's LIS Diary

Postby jax » 29 May 2012, 13:38

Hey all,
I've been on this site for several months now. You all have been very supportive to me and have taught me way more about butts than I thought I would ever know at the age of 26. This June will mark 1 year since I got my anterior AF Image I have no real health related issues that I am aware of that would make me susceptible to getting AFs. The only thing that I felt contributed to this was alot of stress at work on top of getting sick, and getting constipation/diaherrea the month leading up to it.
I'm fortunate compared to most people on here. I am not in pain, but it bleeds a good amount once to twice a month with some burning after a BM. This is with a high fiber diet and 1/2 dose of Miralax each night. I have gone to 3 different doctors and tried Metamucil, KONSYL, and 2% Diltiazem compounded ointment. They have given me relief but has not resolved anything.
So, I have my LIS scheduled for next Thursday, June 7th. I will use this thread as a diary to provide the AF community with another LIS experience.
My current CRS (Penn Medicine) is very experienced and supposedly has not had 1 case reporting premanent incontinence (knock on wood). He said he's just going to put a nick in the internal sphincter. He also said most of his patients can go back to work the next day. They aren't even prescribing pain meds unless I want it. Over the counter ibuprofen and tylenol should be enough. He and the PA assured me that I would be fine in a few days and could run in a week if I wanted. I asked the PA why he felt recovery would be so quick while I've read most take longer. He claims the patients that have LIS performed by my doctor usually don't complain of pain afterwards as much compared to other doctors he has worked with. But I still took a week and a half off work just in case based on the experiences that I have read on here.
jax
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: Jax's LIS Diary

Postby 44alegna44 » 29 May 2012, 18:59

Hey there Jax,
Congratulations on your decision to move forward with surgery. Best wishes to you as you approach the date, get through your surgery and begin your healing path Image .
Kudo's to you for the no pain factor Image . Someone's definitely watching over you Image
I'm glad you opted to take additional time off from work for your recovery period Image ...I know there are some doc's who are quick to say a few days and you'll be good to go Image ...but I think common sense and experiences from others says otherwise. No matter how well you may feel, and hopefully do initially, I think it's wise to give your body a chance to rest and recover peacefully and comfortably, rather than be up and on the go to soon.
Just fyi, I definitely needed the pain meds through the night of my surgery and took one the morning after. From then on advil kept the pain at bay Image . So maybe you may want to have some on hand just in case...imo :D .
Looking forward to your updates Image .....

Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jax » 29 May 2012, 22:24

44alegna44 wrote:Hey there Jax,
Congratulations on your decision to move forward with surgery. Best wishes to you as you approach the date, get through your surgery and begin your healing path Image .
Kudo's to you for the no pain factor Image . Someone's definitely watching over you Image
I'm glad you opted to take additional time off from work for your recovery period Image ...I know there are some doc's who are quick to say a few days and you'll be good to go Image ...but I think common sense and experiences from others says otherwise. No matter how well you may feel, and hopefully do initially, I think it's wise to give your body a chance to rest and recover peacefully and comfortably, rather than be up and on the go to soon.
Just fyi, I definitely needed the pain meds through the night of my surgery and took one the morning after. From then on advil kept the pain at bay Image . So maybe you may want to have some on hand just in case...imo :D .
Looking forward to your updates Image .....

Angel Image

Thanks for your input Angel. I find it weird as to why they say i will be up and running so quick. They really felt confident about it becaused i called back after the appointment to make sure. Are they just trying to not scare people? Anyways, I do plan on getting the pain meds even if they don't think it's necessary. I really hope this works. I want my life back. I used to enjoy the bathroom so much, now I dread it.
How long ago was your procedure done? How are you now?
jax
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 30 May 2012, 11:00

Hey Jax,
My procedure was done back in the beginning of February. I can tell you that my lis did the trick as far as healing the fissure I was dealing with :D .
Like you though, I had an unfortunate battle with unavoidable stress, caused by a bad accident my mom was involved in....this resulted in a nervous stomach and subsequently, severe diahrea. I fell in the slim to none category of people acquiring a new fissure only 7 weeks after my surgery :( . That was almost 8 weeks ago, and I am still now trying to heal this new fissure conservatively, and if for some reason I can't heal, I'll go for a second procedure. I was devasated at first, but, trying to find the positive with this set-back, I will say, I am almost like you in the terms of no pain Image . Initially, when I got this new tear, I felt extreme burning and pain Image ...since my initial diagnosis though, I am no longer in pain...I am just aware it's there because of mild occasional discomfort...and as of last week's follow-up, there is progress in it's healing Image . I go about my day, without having to take any kind of pain relievers....this was so not the case with my first fissure, that was agonizing hell Image . So, I'm remaining hopeful that my lis has loosened me up enough get me through the healing process. Also, to assist with my healing I had my family make a pact to exclude me from any problems, bad news or just plain old bullsh** as best as possible, so I can hopefully avoid any unnecessary stress, till I get through this Image .
So, I remain optimistic and positive for anyone on their way to lis...it did work for me to a certain degree, and 100% for soooo many others Image
Best wishes and will be watching for your updates and progress!
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jax » 01 Jun 2012, 09:09

I've tried all conservative methods except Botox in the past year. So I have to give LIS a try before I can rule it to be a result of some other underlying health issue.
I really feel my fissure was brought on by over use and stress as well.
What bothers me is that my fissure has healed according to seperate doctors in the past but then I find it gets retorn only a month later. It doesn't really hurt but it is uncomfortable, bleeds, and burns a bit afterwards. What I read everywhere is that LIS helps the fissure to heal BUT mine seems to have the ability to do so on its own with a good diet and some stool softeners. It also says it stops the spasms, which I don't know if I have since it's not really painful for me.
I don't know...my mind is just wondering as I approach the surgery date. :( I just hope it keeps the area relaxed enough to keep it healed or it'll just retear after everything heals right?
jax
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 01 Jun 2012, 22:02

Jax,
It is such a tough decision to make, I know. There aren't any guarantees and once fully informed, everyone just has to reconcile these decisions against their own gut and what feels right for them. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do, and hope you know you've got all of us pulling for you and here to support you in whatever way we can.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby jax » 02 Jun 2012, 11:15

Thanks Jr2. I hope I'll be one if the 90+% of people that this is successful for. Thanks for the support. I know you guys are here for me.
jax
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 06 Jun 2012, 10:26

Dear Jax,
How are you doin? I hope your spirits are up and you're able to relax today in anticipation of the surgery tomorrow that will finally put an end
to your fissure saga Image
I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a comfortable healing process and 100% successful recovery Image
Angel Image

44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jax » 06 Jun 2012, 20:43

Thankkk you Angel. You're so kind. I have about an hour left to eat and drink what I need before I'm not suppose to.
I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow, but honestly the day after tomorrow should be more of a worry. I'll be drugged up and under anesthesia. Thanks for the hopeful wishes. I hope your right about getting it healed and fixing all the weird sensations I've been having down there since having this fissure. I'm one of the lucky ones that aren't in pain, but it bleeds a good amount once or twice a month and it burns a little frequently and feels pressured in that general area when I drive or sit. I've also been having residue after a BM leak after I wipe thoroughly. Anyways, this situation will be in the hands of the CRS tomorrow.
I'll probably post an update tomorrow night.:/ See you later guys. The journey begins.
jax
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 06 Jun 2012, 20:51

Wishing you a good night's sleep, healing dreams, and the best of luck tomorrow, Jax!
jr2

Topics: 15