day 4 after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: day 4 after LIS

Postby Paul Sheldon » 22 Jun 2012, 09:20

Thanks :) I will do. No negative, been negative for long enough.
Paul Sheldon
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Congrats!

Postby Bottominal Blues » 22 Jun 2012, 22:39

Glad you on on the other side of this infliction. Something I experienced at about week 3 of healing was "the itch". Oh man, people must have wondered why I was walking funny sometimes as I was so itchy I thought I had worms! But I searched it onine here and found I wasn't alone! Think it must be a healing itch that some get, so be forewarned! It isn't quite like a nose that you can just scratch in public!
Bottominal Blues
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby Davo » 22 Jun 2012, 23:29

Hello Paul,
Thanks for your comments about my diary post and i am pleased it was of some use to you.
Reading through your initial post and it seems everything is completely normal and as it should be. Certainly for the first 3-4 weeks post surgery it always seemed very weak down there for me too. It's as if you have no control over it and no feeling but not in an incontinent kind of way - it's quite hard to explain actually. I would imagine the daily staining will continue for a while yet but you'll find the majority of this is just discharge from the wound rather than liquid stool.
For me the best form of recovery was light exercise - just make sure you keep moving and the increased blood flow will increase your recovery time. Also keep up the fissure diet for a few weeks and try not to strain (i.e. no heavy lifting).
Anyway welcome to the other side and i hope you have a rapid recovery.
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Kat » 23 Jun 2012, 04:33

You are five days ahead of me on the recovery after surgery path so am reading your posts with interest. I'm one day after surgery and waiting for that first bm. It took me 12 years to go the surgery path and I did it with much trepidation. Anyway I'm just wearing a sanitary pad to catch the blood but so far it's not leaking or bleeding much at all. Keep thinking positive thoughts and i hope we are both well on the road to recovery :)
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Paul Sheldon » 23 Jun 2012, 06:39

@Davo - Your post has helped me so much, I have even told my friends. I keep saying "I wanna be like the guy on the fissure website and drink a beer and eat steak!' As for exercise what do you recommend? I had been going to the gym 3 times a week and doing a lot of cardio. As things with the fissure got worse and worse I slowed down and started just walking on the treadmill. I don't want to make things worse but would love to get back to the gym asap. You think walking on the treadmill would be all right? Should i wait another week?
@Kat Don't worry about the BM you are going to be fine and happy. Easier said than done I know.
So yesterday I feel I am improving. Was able to take a walk a couple blocks to the coffee shop and the post office near my house so that felt good. I also had some friends over last night and we ate Dominos pizza!
Actually had 2 BM yesterday. The second was fairly large and had some of the old fissure type burn after it came out. The big difference is the burn/pain did not last for longer than a minute or two which was great.
This morning BM was again somewhat large and a little uncomfortable but no agonizing pain.
Overnight and most of yesterday no really heavy leakage just some streaking. I am pretty sure the streaking is blood and not liquid stool.
One thing I forgot to mention which makes things odd is, they shave you for this operation. I am not a super hairy guy but enough to where being shaved in the area feels strange. It has been prickly and itchy and I maybe have a bit of razor burn.
Anyway, feeling great today and in a good mood so far. Thanks everybody.
Paul Sheldon
Fibre Addict

Postby 44alegna44 » 23 Jun 2012, 12:06

Paul,
Sounds really good so far. Just please be sure to keep up with the fiber and water....the pizza sounds like a nice treat...just be sure not to overdo the indulgences too quick...you don't want to throw your healing off track. I'm really glad you got to enjoy a night with friends, that's great for the physche!!!! :D
Hoping things keep progressing as they are for you.... Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Paul Sheldon » 24 Jun 2012, 08:41

Thanks for that. Today is Day 6 after surgery. Pain throughout the day is usually 0 on the pain scale. There is some soreness/pain during BM but the big difference is that once finished the pain is gone. Not like with the fissure where after BM I was in agony for hours! This is a huge improvement and I couldn't be happier. Tomorrow I am returning to the office so we will see how having a normal day goes.
Thanks everybody.
Paul Sheldon
Fibre Addict

Postby Davo » 25 Jun 2012, 14:57

Hi Paul,
Don't be drinking beer and eating steak just yet - maybe leave it a few more weeks before your binge!!
When i mentioned about exercising i meant brisk walks, mowing the lawn, etc. rather than going to the gym. So many people just lay up after surgery and this will only prolong their recovery.
Anyway it sounds like you're doing just fine anyway!!!
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Paul Sheldon » 25 Jun 2012, 19:20

Will do.
Today was my first day back at the office. It went really well and I had little discomfort during the day. I am trying not to let stress of work get to me as I really think it can make the situation worse. The thing that is bothering me most is the stubble from where they shaved me.
I hate to talk about it but BM has been going very good. they are different than they used to be. They look wider and better formed. I am thinking maybe I used to be a literal tight ass and now that is corrected?
Hoping things continue to go this way I have been a lot less depressed since having the surgery. Will update again soon.
Paul Sheldon
Fibre Addict

Postby Paul Sheldon » 30 Jun 2012, 06:41

Happy weekend everyone. Thought I would do a short update now that I am at day 11 and completed my first week back at work!
Still having very little pain, have some mild pain during BM and really that is about it. Last night when I changed the pad in my pants it had less bloody discharge than it has had so I decided to sleep without a pad. I woke up to no discharge in my underpants so that is good.
Today I am going to try just wearing boxer shorts and see how it goes.
So overall I think things are going well, the hardest part for me is the anxiety that I may screw up and do something wrong and have this nightmare begin again.
I have my follow up appointment next Friday, I hope they tell me good things :)
Paul Sheldon
Fibre Addict