My LIS Recovery Story

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

My LIS Recovery Story

Postby sadies-day » 30 Jun 2012, 10:40

Rather than just posting random questions, I decided to start a thread on my recovery following LIS. I must say the other posts I've read have been very helpful in this whole process.
First a little background. I've had issues with what I now know were fissures off and on for many years. I finally had a fissure that had become chronic following what I think was a hard BM following back surgery (most likely due to the pain meds). I managed to deal with it off and on for the better part of 2 years. I was struggling with the decision on surgery since I really never had an issue w/ pain. It was more of just an irritation. Anyhow, I went through with the surgery this past Thursday.
Post Surgery - No big issues as things were pretty numbed up down there. Took my first bath at 6PM per the doctors orders. Did not take any pain meds besides what the hospital gave me and a couple of tylenol and motrin.
Day 1 - Spent the most of the day on the couch. Had my first BM in the morning. That in itself wasn't bad but the cleanup wasn't pleasant. Felt pretty irritated down there the rest of the day. Took a bath every 3 hours or so. Some bleeding.
Day 2 (today) - Again resting on the couch for the day. Had a BM this morning. Bleeding seems a little better. Same problem with irritation afterwards. I was hoping recovery would be a little easier but it's only been 2 days.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: My LIS Recovery Story

Postby ragini » 30 Jun 2012, 10:55

i know how it feels....being on the bed all day.... its my 4th day ...sry nigth ...i suggest you should try little walking and start doing a some work and make urself a coffee or so and watch little tv and stuff you like( not to mention gyming )...little exercise would do (but only if you can)... trust me yo uwill feel better ...and take sitz bath i hope you know that ( soaking your bum in a hot ..not too hot ...a little hot tub with betadine in it ) and relax for 10 to 15 mins ...its a very pretty and harmonous thing to do for your hips...take care
ragini
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby sadies-day » 02 Jul 2012, 06:09

Day 4 - Yesterday was good. Very little bleeding and discharge. Took a ride to the hardware store to just walk around. Today there was significantly more bleeding after my BM. As much as the first day after surgery. Probably will call the doctor just to make sure that these ups and downs are normal.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 02 Jul 2012, 06:49

Congrat's and welcome home sadies Image
You've got to mentally prepare yourself for at least 1 week after surgery for things to be, at least, somewhat irritated and uncomfortable. So please rest as much as you need to..you are sure to be pretty swollen down there right now and you need to be gentle with yourself to aid in the beginning phase of this healing process. Don't try to rush things along ...a few steps here, a few steps there..slow yet steady. The discomfort should ease up soon, just stick to the program and you're gonna do just great!
I agree that you should call your crs with any concern you may have. From my recovery experience, stop and go bleeding was part of the process...it's not out of the norm. But relaying your experience to the surgeon is always best...at least for your own peace of mind.
Please continue to keep us abreast of your progress and know we are all hoping for your full recovery.
Best wishes,
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby sadies-day » 02 Jul 2012, 08:17

Thanks for the support. I did speak w/ the nurse and she confirmed that the ups and downs w.r.t. bleeding is normally. I did question her about the consistency of my BMs and my diet. They've been starting out kind of hard and then finish up soft (today they finished up loose). I'm wondering if I'm taking too much fiber or not enough, drinking too much liquid or not enough, etc. I'm currently taking 2 stool softeners a day and a standard adult dose of benefiber (2 tablespoons). She said to just try and up my fluid intake. Any other suggestions from board members?
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 02 Jul 2012, 20:55

Have you ever tried Miralax? A lot of board members find really good stool softening with it. I use a very small amount of Miralax along with one stool softener (because I get a lot of diarrhea I have to be careful about using too much of anything) . But I find just a little bit of Miralax along with my stool softener helps my first morning bathroom visit to be a lot easier. You have to experiment with it and how much to use because in some people it takes a few days to work. Between that and switching to acacia fiber for my fiber supplement, I've pretty much eliminated that hard bit at the very beginning.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Emm123 » 02 Jul 2012, 22:10

Aww glad to hear youre on the road to recovery!
Be careful mixing stool softeners if you are. For instance I was on liquid paraffin and you can't use anything with that.
Take care of yourself. Eat well. But don't try to eat only roughage etc. You need a balance so that it heals well and can accommodate normal stools. Also don't take on too much stress. As soon as you can do activities try some. This is once the pain and bleeding eases up.
Its normal if you get some spotting of blood even as far down as the 5th week don't worry. I was spotting blood back then. Your body is still getting accustomed to the relaxed muscle. If the bleeding is flowing then contact the hospital!
Good luck and take care of yourself!
Emm123
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby sadies-day » 03 Jul 2012, 06:40

Day 6 - Still need to figure out my diet. Stool has been too runny. Maybe it was something I ate. Going to try and drop to 1 stool softener a day. Less bleeding today but still painful afterwards. I wonder if I'm more conscious of the pain since I had none before the surgery (just bad irritation and itching).
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 03 Jul 2012, 09:02

Yes, you do have to be careful about mixing stool softeners, but mixing Miralax and docusate sodium (Colace) is safe to do. You can't mix docusate sodium with mineral oil as the docusate will cause the body to absorb the mineral oil.
But it sounds like you're now having the opposite problem and need to cut back. It's true that you will probably experience more pain in your surgical recovery because you weren't having a significant amount of pain before.
Wishing you healing and relief and big improvements with each day.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby sadies-day » 04 Jul 2012, 06:16

Day 7 - Well I made it thru the first week. Still discouraged that I see quite a bit of blood on the TP after my BM. It seems to stop right away and only have some streaking/spotting throughout the day. I guess I was just hoping for one of those miraculous, heal right away, type recoveries. My BMs are also still quite irratating. I have my follow-up w/ the surgery a week from this Friday.
sadies-day
Salt Bather