My LIS Recovery Story

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: My LIS Recovery Story

Postby Kat » 04 Jul 2012, 06:32

Stay positive, don't be discouraged! Is the blood from the surgical wound or from the af?
I'm Day 12 post op and have no bleeding since about Day 2.
Have to say today was my best day yet. There was pain with the bm but it felt more like a bruising sort of pain rather than a wound type of pain ( if that makes sense) but gave me a sense the wound is finally healing. That said I don't want to get my hopes up as it seems like it's two steps forwards and one step backwards following surgery. Also I ate a lot more today than I have been eating since the surgery as today was my first day of being quite active so I felt the need to have a few more calories... I wonder if I will pay for that tomorrow...
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby sadies-day » 04 Jul 2012, 06:46

Thanks. I'm jealous. Actually I don't know where the blood is coming from. I sent my wife "down there" w/ a flashlight a few days ago but she couldn't see anything (probably because I was too afraid to spread my cheeks). I also had a tag removed so that could be part of the problem.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby sadies-day » 05 Jul 2012, 06:33

Day 8 - Still have blood on TP following BM. Also, post BM pain which I didn't have before surgery (my AF caused more of a very annoying irritation/itch than pain). There's some bloody discharge throughout the day but nothing a sanitary napkin won't catch. I'm probably just being impatient but it is hard to stay positive when I don't see much, if any, improvement. It is too late know but I'm starting to wonder if I should have had the surgery to begin with :(
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Postby sadies-day » 05 Jul 2012, 07:08

I apologize for the venting. I did have a question - has anyone's AF symptoms gotten worse after the surgery before they got better?
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 05 Jul 2012, 07:15

Hi sadies,
I know what it's like to feel different symptoms after surgery than before. For me, during the 6 months I suffered with my fissure I never experienced a painful bm. Even if there was blood, there was never pain during a bm. My spasms which came on generally a couple of hours after the bm's were what caused my excruciating pain.
After my surgery I experienced severe burning during each bm...painful burning that made going frightening. This was consistent for approximatly 10 days before I got my first sign that the bm burn was
beginning to ease up. Then with each passing bm the intensity of the
burn became less, until it finally ended.
I never questioned the surgery...I accepted that this was an effect from the surgery and a temporary symptom that I would have to accept as part of my recovery.
For some, post-op can be more difficult than pre-op, and vice-versa. Please remain confident that what you are experiencing is normal post-op
recovery symptoms and nothing more. You are still in the initial stage of
your recovery...give this a good 2 weeks for things to settle down..and
please do try to be patient and less anxious...it will help the healing
process if you can relax your mind.
I know you're gonna do just fine Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby sadies-day » 05 Jul 2012, 15:57

Thanks. I appreciate the positive thoughts. I need 'em!
I did speak w/ the nurse today and she said I'm experiencing normal post-op symptoms. Apparently the wound heals from the inside out and takes time (and I admit I'm impatient).
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Postby sadies-day » 06 Jul 2012, 03:40

Day 9 - Well back to work today. I dread the thought of having to hit the bathroom back at the office. It's not easy for a guy to discreetly go in with an arm full of wet ones, balenol cream, sanitary napkin, etc. Then there's the pain afterwards. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Postby Kat » 06 Jul 2012, 03:45

Good luck with going back to work.
I'm back to work on Monday but at least I can take my handbag to the loo with my "supplies"!
Kat
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby sadies-day » 06 Jul 2012, 14:03

Day 9 (Update) - Well I survived the first day at work. No pain after my BM today. Yeah. However, there was significant bleeding afterwards. Not when I wiped but a little while later. Soaked my 4x4 gauze, heavily stained my sanitary wipe. Decided to call the nurse and she got me in to see the doc this afternoon. He, of course, said it's perfectly normal and reminded me once again that it's 6-8 weeks to heal. He also told me to stay away from the Motrin (my drug of choice for pain) as that would thin my blood. He gave me a script for another pain killer (Ultran) that's supposedly stronger than Tylenol but doesn't have the narcotic effects of hydrocodone. He also said to roll up a piece of gauze and stick it up in there changing it several times a day. Other than that, he said the wound is starting to heal (the bleeding is from the fissure site not the LIS site). Apparently there was also a small fistula under the fissure scar tissue he removed. The scar tissue also tested negative for anything bad (like cancer).
sadies-day
Salt Bather