29 - 3 years suffering - FIRST pain free week - whats workin

A sub-forum for those with pain, but no explanation for it. Vent, share, ask, and help others. That is what this little corner is all about!

Return to Chronic Anal and Rectal Pain

29 - 3 years suffering - FIRST pain free week - whats workin

Postby 2youngtosuffer » 06 Jul 2012, 14:24

Well firstly thank you to all those who post and help share their experience
I am a 29 year old male who has suffered for the past 3 years. Such a young age which was a combination of very hard stools and sitting for 14-16 hours at a time for years.
The suffering got worse and worse. Tried to ignore it, tried to treat it and then it just becomes part of everyday life. Some weeks worse then others. But I hit my tipping point.
A little background. I am in VERY good shape. This is not to brag but to simply prove that this can happen to anyone. If you saw me at the beach you would say man that guy is cut. I workout a lot, I eat VERY well. I eat well for 2 reasons. The main being if I eat bad my fissure gets HORRIBLe. I also have a gluten allergy that forces me to eat as best as I can. I admit I can't avoid my beers on the weekend and dabbling during the week. Cleaning my diet up over the past year has helped a good amount with the fissure. Lots of clean meats, protein shakes(lactose free as I am also lactose intolerant), fruits, veggies etc. But that alone did NOT work. I do believe it is important. I eat very little cheese, gluten, etc. I basically eat clean during the week and cheat a bit on weekends(Hey I am young I party not gonna lie)
What I have tried
-Wipes(we'll come back to this)
-Nitro glyc
-neosporin and every other kind of creme and powder you can think of. Temporary at best
-This list is huge. Embarrassing at my age and huge
-desitin(this actually helped quite a bit for awhile but smelled like crap and is messy) My father swears by this stuff for his hemmoroids though.
-use all kinds of powders
-jock itch cream
YOU NAME IT
I literally planned my days/nights/times with girls around my ASS! Gotta have a sense of humor.
Well for the first time in years I have had one full week where I feel AMAZING! No walking and burning, no extreme pain after bowel movements, my ass actually FEELS healed if that makes sense. Now I know it's too early to tell and I am still very cautiously optimistic but I HAD to come here and share because I know the feeling of absolute dread and to find some light after years feels amazing.
One thing I had been using for years was prep H wipes(containing witch hazel). I assumed for a long time they were hemmorhoids but just found it much easier to wipe so continued to buy and use them for EVERY bowel movement. It was the only way I could get clean. Especially when the spasms stop and you have to go back to re-wipe. How uncomfortable is this stuff? Well the other week I thought jeez maybe those wipes are actually bad. Well what did I do? Google and it brought me to posts saying witch hazel is BAD for your fissures cause it thins the skin. Well great , good job me. Immediately stopped. I now use baby wipes that do the same job. I feel like an idiot for this one if this helped prevent my healing in any way.
Olive oil. As a workout buff I take a LOT of vitamins. Which I hoped would also help heal me. Well maybe they do and don't but certainly it won't help alone. Many vitamins I take are fish-oil, sesame oil etc. These are good for anyone to take, but for those of us that need are poops to slide out its even more important. But olive oil is a game changer. It's a very healthy fat(Extra virgin of course) and it will help lubricate your stools. I do the following and it has had an immediate effect. I take a shot after my morning stool(I go to the bathroom pretty regular always have in the morning), and also take a shot at night before bed. I do a tablespoon. 2 tbsp a day is very healthy. I believe this is a VERY large contribute to my healing and success so far.
Prunes- I have also been eating 7-8 prunes per night before bed.
As for post stools and during the day. I could always feel the cut pretty bad when walking etc. I now use two products.
Super Salve(it's made for kids and is very safe) has olive oil in it , beeswax and other such products. I put a thin layer on after I am cleaned up with the baby wipes.
Lantiseptic - I then use this which I believe has also greatly contributed to the healing thus far. I put this on right after the salve and it basically feels like a bandaid. Keeps the area dry(which I believe is needed to heal) and prevents any of that rough chaffing feeling when you are just walking/sitting etc. This to me is similar to desitin but has barely any smell and messiness. My grandmother was in ICU and this was the only thing that cured some painful sores in her rear. So if its strong enough for a very sick elderly woman why not me.
I am VERY optimistic about this and have never ever had a full week like this in 3 years where I felt this good. I intend to keep you all updated and hope maybe in some small way this well help you all.
2youngtosuffer

Topics: 1

Re: 29 - 3 years suffering - FIRST pain free week - whats workin

Postby Ever the Optimist » 07 Jul 2012, 15:51

Hi Tooyoung,
Great to read your positive post and you have a great positive attitude and all the best with your continuing healing!! It all sounds good. Keep up the great work!!
Also tried a lot of things but got to completely agree with the OLIVE OIL! I swear by it. I have a large tablespoon every night before I go to bed and coupled with my diet, which is pretty good now, I have to say I've had some of the best BM's ever in the last 6 months this stuff has been going on...Everything is smooth and soft and my system feels good. I'm also using lactulose as a stool softener but wondering whether I should now start having a tablespoon of olive oil as an alternative to this after breakfast. I want to start cutting down on using the lactulose now and it's just gone up in price too!.....Really anyone reading this, I'd say just give the olive oil a go!! Don't expect immediate healing or anything but give it a few days to start working on your bowels!!!.......
The other thing I forgot to add Tooyoung was that squatting rather than sitting (bit graphic sorry!) also really helped in the whole bowel evacuation process!!!
Thanks for posting :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby 3 years now » 08 Jul 2012, 09:09

I totally agree with the olive oil - I take 2 tbsps every other morning on an empty stomach - works wonders - I don't need the restoralax anymore - google olive oil for constipation...it has been the best thing for my arse and I have tried EVERYTHING
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby 2youngtosuffer » 25 Jul 2012, 18:21

update:
It's been about a month here and the pain is continued to be gone. It's really like I have part of my life back I never imagined. Please if you have not tried some of the things I listed PLEASE do it. I know if this post helps one person I will be so happy.
I don't think I am out of the woods. After a few bowel moments I got the feeling of uh oh, but after very short times it's been fine. It's almost like after getting an injury from sports. You have the fear. I continue with the olive oil religiously. I have used the lantispetic and salva almost everyday as well
I truly hope this is slowly getting put behind me and wish you all the same too. Hate to even jinx it and I am sure many of you know that feeling too
2youngtosuffer

Topics: 1

Postby UK fissure chick » 26 Jul 2012, 14:52

Hi all
After reading all your comments I am keen to try the Olive oil to see if this helps. For me I find that if my diet is too high in fiber that my BM's can be too large or i go to the toilet too much and this aggrivates my bowel, the fissure and makes my piles worse. Do you find the Olive Oil makes BM's large or is it ok?
Thanks
Fissure chick :)
UK fissure chick
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 26 Jul 2012, 21:41

Fissure Chick:
The olive oil should have no impact on the size of the stool. It just lubricates the stool, making it easier to pass.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 Jul 2012, 00:27

Hi Fissure Chick,
As the above poster posts olive oil will not affect the stool size, just makes it slide out better!! It's part of my daily routine now and always will be !!
Make sure you are eating lots of the right types of fibre (soft fruits, cooked veggies, BEANS! brown rice, brown bread etc..) but be careful not to overload with the bread and the bran/ potatoes as these can increase bulk and also importantly for me, watch your quantity of food intake....3/4 smaller meals a day works better for me than a huge evening meal for eg...
2young - great to hear you are getting your life back. That is great news!!! Just keep up all the good stuff you're doing - seems to be working and yes, you're probably going to have to do that for a good few months to ensure it's all healed properly. It's great when you hear success stories :D
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby schoolterp » 03 Aug 2012, 17:16

Hi,
It maybe too soon to say, but since I started
using olive oil my fissure feels better. Thanks Image to your posting and this site. It's nice to know that you are not alone.
schoolterp

Postby Buttinpain » 04 Aug 2012, 09:53

I think the olive oil also helps but I am having a hard time eatting it. Do you just drink down a tablespoon (this is what I did for three days and now it makes me gag) or do you put in foods? Thanks!
Buttinpain
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Firecracker Ass » 04 Aug 2012, 10:41

Buttinpain,
I add a few tablespoons in my soup or salad. I agree that it's not so easy trying to take it straight.
Firecracker Ass
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3