Antibiotics after surgery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Antibiotics after surgery

Postby boodles » 29 Jul 2012, 01:41

This is my first post but I am so happy to be here! I was afraid to read people's experiences before my surgery but I did go ahead and have it done since I have been suffering for over a year and looking back, for many years! He did the LIS and removed a skin tag.
My doctor has me on Metronidazol (Flagyl), which is an antibiotic. I have been taking it twice a day for over two weeks. At my last appointment he said to keep taking it until Aug. 8, my next appointment. But it is making me sleep like 12 hrs a day and sick and I don't feel good. Is anyone else on antibiotics? If so, which one(s) and for how long?
I think I have recuperated really well, taking it easy, not eating too much. I haven't had much pain, (after the first week) in fact I'm not taking the pain meds anymore. I don't have the itching I had following the surgery, either. I will ask him before I stop taking it, but I wondered how you all have been instructed. I had this surgery in Mexico, where I live and I wonder if some things aren't different than in the US.
boodles
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Antibiotics after surgery

Postby Ever the Optimist » 29 Jul 2012, 02:05

Hi Boodles,
Welcome! and great to hear that you are recovering nicely after your surgery. It all sounds very positive.....
I'm from the UK, so another country but pretty sure that most procedures are standard worldwide for dealing with these bottom issues!!
Just a note on the Flagyl! I was prescribed this along with a couple of others and I hated them!!!.........
Flagyl made me sleepy, gave me incredible mood swings, I felt like I wasn't with it, nauseous. I really didn't like it and after googling it, was quite shocked to see some of the side effects and experiences people had suffered whilst using it. I finished the course but would avoid using it again. I was advised by my CRS that it is the best AB they can give you for anal issues.
The other I would never have again is Flucloxacillin...it gave me horrendous diahrroea and abdominal pain. Would never touch this again. Augmentin was my third and probably the best of the three with less side effects....
I would not have these again unless really necessary!
Good luck to you in your continued healing.
All thes best :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Em » 29 Jul 2012, 03:42

Flagyl is horrible - I felt drowsy, sick and everything tasted of metal.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby boodles » 29 Jul 2012, 10:35

Thanks for your replies! I was wondering, how long did you have to take antibiotics for?
I am used to taking these antibiotics, because here in Mexico they are often prescribed to get rid of amoebas and parasites. But that is usually for a week, and now taking Flagyl for a month just seems like forever! :)
boodles
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 29 Jul 2012, 11:11

Hi I was on the dreaded Flagyl too but only for a week made me very sick 😒 a mth seems a long time to be on an antibiotic!

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 29 Jul 2012, 18:58

Fortunately, my CRS only had me take Flagyl for 5 days after my surgery. That stuff is nasty!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Em » 30 Jul 2012, 02:52

I was on it for about 5 days too.
Vile stuff - I thought I had affects from the general - didn't realise it was the AB knocking me about.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Jul 2012, 11:56

I was on it for 11 days..... Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?