After LIS Surgery what can you expect?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

After LIS Surgery what can you expect?

Postby Strangeworldaf » 09 Aug 2012, 11:04

Now that we have couple of people who has done there LIS, it would be very helpful for AF patients to know their input.
1). Is there a chance of getting anal fissure after the surgery?
2). Do we have the maintain high-fiber diet with stool softner even after the surgery and for how long?
3). Lets say we do get another episode for Anal fissuer after the surgery will this it as pain-full as before surgery?
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Re: After LIS Surgery what can you expect?

Postby Strangeworldaf » 10 Aug 2012, 17:13

Can you guys please help me with some answers and I am not only me but others will be benefitted..
Thanks in Advance
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby MattMecham » 13 Aug 2012, 21:29

1. I had my surgery about a year and a half ago. To date, I have had absolutely no pain, and the fissure has not returned.
2. I kept taking a stool softener for maybe two weeks after my surgery, and kept up on the fiber, but after that time period, I went to a more "normal" diet. I have even been constipated once or twice since then, and still not even a twinge of pain. Everything feels as it did before the fissure ever reared its ugly head. I still try to eat a fiber-rich breakfast, but it doesn't kill me if I forget now and then.
3. I've heard that if you get a fissure after the surgery, it heals more quickly because it is in a lower-stress environment, an environment that promotes quicker healing. In fact, you may not even notice that you have another fissure before it heals back up again.
Good luck with this information. I am so glad I had LIS -- it is not a big deal, and chances are "next to none" that you will need to wear a diaper because of the surgery. One of the best decisions I have ever made.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Strangeworldaf » 13 Aug 2012, 21:34

Thanks Matt... We're you given local or general anesthesia?
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby MattMecham » 14 Aug 2012, 21:19

Strangeworldaf wrote:Thanks Matt... We're you given local or general anesthesia?

Whichever one puts you to sleep. Stuck a mask on my face, asked me a question, and I was asleep before I formulated an answer. Woke up in the recovery ward.
Semper Fi,

Matt
MattMecham
Salt Bather

Topics: 3