3 months in, just diagnosed

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

3 months in, just diagnosed

Postby floribunda » 22 Jul 2012, 03:22

Hi everyone, I'm a 31 yo woman in Australia. I've been suffering from a fissure for a little over 3 months but have only just been brave enough to see a doctor for diagnosis. I'm so relieved to have found this forum, I feel so much more normal to know that I'm not alone in this!
I let it go on for so long before seeing the doctor because I thought at first it was piles as I've had slight problems with those over the years (poor diet) and never seen a doctor for them. The pain was much worse than I was used to but I kept hoping it would clear up on its own for weeks and weeks... Obviously it didn't. I was experiencing the razor blade feeling during BMs but did not realise it was actually a tearing until I stumbled across the term anal fissure while googling treatments for piles - I had never heard of it until then! For about a month I was self treating with Anusol suppositories which I think helped a little.
I think my trigger for the tearing was a change in diet, having cut out my daily bran cereal which disrupted my BMs.
My doctor has prescribed 0.2% Rectogesic and I honestly don't know if I'm even applying it correctly - trying to applying it internally is a nightmare, and I don't want to get to 4 weeks from now and have no improvement because of not using it right. She made no mention of some of the suggestions I have seen in this group, which is disappointing because when I left her office yesterday I was thinking a few weeks of the ointment would solve it easily - and I realise after reading some threads here that might or might not be the case.
So my plan is to keep trying with the Rectogesic, plus switching to soft foods, increasing water and a combination of Coloxyl and Movicol. I hope with my sluggish digestive system I won't have to wait too long for my BMs to improve. Today's was absolutely one of the worst I have experienced in the 3 months and ended with my in tears of pain, frustration and despair on the toilet!
I welcome any and all suggestions you're willing to give - I think even having the support of reading and relating to the topics on here will help me emotionally with it. People who don't suffer probably don't realise the extent to which this can affect normal life an the way you feel about yourself as a result. Thanks everyone for your posts and just being open and honest about a difficult topic xx
floribunda

Topics: 1

Re: 3 months in, just diagnosed

Postby Guest » 11 Aug 2012, 03:06

Hi floribunda,
How are you feeling now? Did you find the ointment any good? I was the same didn't know if I was applying it on the fissure I used it for 8 wks before I had Botox done. I'm 2 wks over Botox & injection of piles & I'm pain free. I take 2 movicol, 2 senokot & 10ml of lactulose every night this keeps me soft with one BM every morning. Seems bit much but I just don't go if I don't take it.
I do hope you have been sorted by now nobody should have to go through the pain of a fissure.
Take care 😊

Postby 3 years now » 12 Aug 2012, 09:45

I want to strongly recommend this: take 2 TBSPS of extra virgin olive oil daily on an empty stomach
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Guest » 14 Aug 2012, 16:12

Thanks I will try this in another couple wks I'm too afraid to stop taking movicol so soon after the Botox.

Postby Jaider101 » 06 Sep 2012, 05:41

I know how you feel hun.
My fissures have been going on for about 4 months now. I went for a colonoscopy for my Crohns colitis and the doctor said I had some of the worst fissures he had ever seen. He is not wrong, it is EXTREMELY painful to go to the toilet. Normally with fissures, its only meant to be a few drops of blood, but mine is much worse! It is made me VERY depressed lately. I haven't been doing anything about it, because I am way to scared. I am only 13.
It is really nice to know I am not alone. It has been about 3 days since I last went and I know its the worst thing to do to hold it in, but I just can't stand it! In fact I have to go this minute before my bowels split.
Does anyone have any suggestions to help with the pain? It is very important to me! Thank you :(
Jaider101

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 06 Sep 2012, 14:04

Hi Jaider,
I'm so sorry you are suffering this awful thing at such a young age. Have you seen a CRS yet & have they given you any cream to help you? If not you need to see somebody asap. Hope you get sorted.
Take care Image