Depressed thinking that surgery didn't work :(

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Depressed thinking that surgery didn't work :(

Postby sadies-day » 15 Aug 2012, 18:18

Well I'm six weeks post LIS and honestly I can't say I feel any improvement. I never had any pain before surgery, just irritation post BM and it hasn't gotten any better following surgery. It seems that it takes forever to wipe and when I do get things clean, it's dirty again in a little while. Baths, handheld shower heads, etc. all don't seem to help. Not to mention the whole process of getting things clean down there, irritates the skin further and sometimes results in bleeding. Calmoseptine ointment helps sometimes but it's no cure. Not sure what the next step is. Any thoughts out there? Is a second surgery in my future (not that I'm convinced the outcome would be any better)?
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Depressed thinking that surgery didn't work :(

Postby Savaici » 16 Aug 2012, 18:03

Have you seen your surgeon since you had LIS? Most on here who come back and talk about their surgery say that the healing process is slow, so you may have to give it time, but I would say that your surgeon is the best person to ask about this. Incontinence can be a transitory side effect that usually resolves.
Best of luck with your healing Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby boodles » 17 Aug 2012, 00:10

May I ask, did you have a fissure? You mentioned not having pain before the surgery, whereas most people are at their wits end and surgery is the last resort. I wouldn't have had the LIS if it weren't for the pain! I guess what I am thinking is that for me, compared to before, the work to clean up down there is not too bad. I hope that gets better, though. It's been about a month since my surgery.
Perhaps the continued irritation is from the area getting "dirty" again and irritating the "cut"? Definitely keep in touch with your doctor to see if you are healing correctly.
boodles
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby sadies-day » 21 Aug 2012, 16:30

Thanks for the feedback/support. I saw my CRS at LIS+3wks. He said it was healing nicely. When I mentioned the irritation is said recovery is 6-8 weeks. I definitely had a fissure, plus a skin tag, and evidently an old, small fistula underneath the scar tissue. I dealt w/ it for 3 yrs and even though there was no pain, I was tired of the irritation and thought the LIS would help (as did the CRS). Things are definitely not as "tight" as before judging by how easily gas escapes. So it the surgery did do something. The irritation is, however, as you mentioned a result of the area getting "dirty".
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13