"Stretching" a healing fistula wound??

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

"Stretching" a healing fistula wound??

Postby Ever the Optimist » 03 Sep 2012, 13:52

Hi,
Has anyone recovering from Fistula surgery ever been advised to physically "stretch" the wound to assist in proper recovery?
I've been reading older posts on here where this appears to have been a really important part of the healing process to ensure that a fistula heals properly from the inside out, yet I have never been advised this by my CRS. At 2.5 months post op, the fistula site is now healed but I'm still suffering some discomfort after BM's, sort of inner itching/ soreness/ the odd twinge. I'm wondering if the external wound has healed too quickly and it's not healed properly below. If this is the case, does anyone know what the next step of the process might be?? Thanks :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: "Stretching" a healing fistula wound??

Postby Savaici » 03 Sep 2012, 14:48

Hi there, E.T.O.
Just wondered if you have read hopetoheal's posts. I know that she had fistula surgery and was very good about posting how everything was going. Hope that might help.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: "Stretching" a healing fistula wound??

Postby Ever the Optimist » 04 Sep 2012, 13:32

Thanks for that Savaici,
I do recall reading through a great conversation between Adam, Hopetoheal and a couple of others. I will have a re-read!! Hope all continues to go well for you too :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again