Fissure problems post LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissure problems post LIS

Postby sadies-day » 23 Sep 2012, 08:40

I had LIS almost 3 months ago to correct a chronic fissure that was causing alot of irritation following BMs but no pain. It was a problem that had been going on for over 2 years. Post surgery, things are definitely not as "tight" down there (judging by how easy gas slips out) but I still am having problems with irritation following my BMs. I've been careful on wiping - almost always using wet TP or baby wipes and trying to dab as much as possible but every now and then the fissure seems to retear and I get some spotting on the paper. It's almost as if the skin is too delicate. I use Calmoseptine to control the irritation post BM which seems to work okay. I've been taken stool softeners (2/day) and Metamucil (or equivalent). Is it "common" (as common as can be with this lovely problem) to still have these kind of issues 3 months post surgery? I do have an appt to see me CRS in a few weeks for the final post surgery visit but I'd like to get some opinions for those that have actually lived this.
sadies-day
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Fissure problems post LIS

Postby Lauren12 » 23 Sep 2012, 11:24

It took eight or more months for my anus to settle down after the LIS operation. My problem was slightly different to yours in that my chronic fissure had healed by itself, but I was still in lots of pain from muscle spasm, and the muscle tone in the anus had become very high from all the spasming, making it tight, and causing regular minor fissures every time I had a bowel movement. However it did all settle down post op.
My surgeon said that the anus is a delicate structure and can take some time to get back to normal following any disruption.
I'm sure your surgeon will be able to reassure you. I had been worried because I'd read accounts of people who'd been pain free in a matter of days or weeks after the operation whereas i was taking longer, but my surgeon was not at all worried, predicted it would settle down, and it has.
I do recall him saying early on (possibly pre-op) that I'd always have an anus that I was aware of, but wouldn't be in any pain. I forgot to ask him post op what he meant. Anyway, I'm not in any pain and lead a normal life so far as the anus is concerned.
I do recall that for a while after surgery, I was forming minor fissures sometimes with bowel movements. This was initially because the tissue was puffy and swollen from the op, making the anus narrower, but it did carry on for a while until it settled down. I can't remember now how long it takes for scar tissue to settle and become flat.
Anyway, I'm sure your surgeon will be reassuring.
If the irritation is caused by anything else - allergy for instance - then I'm sure the surgeon can offer advice on that. I became allergic to the Diltiazem cream which I used in the early days of the chronic fissure and as a result use nothing on my anus now when washing except water, and I wash after every bowel movement (just train the shower on it). I also only wear pure cotton underwear, and wash it in a non-biological washing powder, rinse it thoroughly and don't use fabric conditioner (all directions given by the surgeon I saw at the time!).
By the way, I've also had blood with bowel movements on four or five occasions post-op, very little, just really minor spotting. It was caused by over-large stools. Apparently the lining of the bowel is prone to minor injury because the tissue there is sensitive because it has to be permeable to water. But it's also quick to heal. Minor injuries from bowel movements are common to everyone, occasionally produce the odd spot of blood, but now I've had the op, they don't go into that cycle of producing pain and spasm. I just carry on as normal and don't worry about it.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby boodles » 23 Sep 2012, 22:23

I had my LIS about three months ago, and I am still having to deal with certain things, too. Like the gas slips, so embarrassing, but I still prefer that than the pain! Those little farts are one way I know I need to go to the bathroom, because sometimes my body doesn't really tell me.
I also find my anus is very sensitive, I don't think I'm having retears of the fissure but I think that my stools are dry and are making the anus bleed very slightly. Also, after I go, some "poo" leaks out (especially if I have to walk a lot) and itches the area, I'm not always able to clean it correctly right away. I think that might be making the area sensitive.
I like Lauren's post above, I guess there will continue to be situations for awhile. At least we know what to expect. I'm still so thankful for the surgery, so happy I can "go" without crying!
boodles
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Bambi » 03 Oct 2012, 07:01

Hi Sadie's-day, Lauren 12, and Boodles,
I had LIS in Feb of 2011 after having a fissure for about 2 years on and off, although more "on". I have not been on to post for quite a while and as others always have said in the past, that was because the better things got, the less I felt a need to talk or even think about the whole fissure experience. And for someone prone to anxiety, better to not think about it too much.
However, yesterday I had to push out 2 slightly firmer stools and all of a sudden there's BLOOD on the tp! I have been having issues more recently with loose stools and have just had a bunch of tests to rule out different parasites and things. Seems like it is most likely some IBS stuff brought on by antibiotics a month or so ago. All tests were negative, which is a good thing.
Anyway, Lauren your post really helped me this morning. It is easy to panic and lose perspective that a lot of people have the occasional bit of blood or irritation and that if it is a slight fissure, I am praying that my now looser anus will do it's healing job with a little help.
As to the post LIS irritation, I found the CRS guy's comment about always being aware you have an anus but not in pain to be truthful. Just over the last few months, I have finally been out of the pattern of having a BM, then having the tiniest bit of poop eake out and then being so much more sensitive to that. I still carry around in my purse a small amount of Balneol and Calmoseptine and Vaseline just in case. I also have a squirt bottle called a go toob that works great at squirting water in the right place. I use Walmart's version of Cottonelle wipes and
then follow up with Balneol on a rinsed out Tuck wipe ( they are more pliable and light than regular wipes but too much witch hazel is not a good thing for me, so I rinse them out) I then rinse the Balneol off.
I have always been a sensitive person to things like tags in clothes and such, so I have seen my reaction to having even the slightest leakage down there to be part of that. But over this summer, things had calmed down quite a bit and it has been nice to have a return to less is more where there have been many days that I was not really all that aware of my anus, but still have fears of being caught off guard.
So it is good for me to be able to think with perspective and just get on with things even at times when something has caused some slight irritation and the bleeding.
Sorry for the long post!
I really wanted this to be reassuring that it does take a while to get to that state we all want to be in of simply getting up, pooping without much thought at all, cleaning up and not thinking about it after that and not having as much sensitivity-but that day does come! And hopefully my little glitch is just that and maybe some reaction to going more often lately.i also had gotten lax about drinking enough water and eating my fruits and veggies, because my stools had been loose...
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby becsbum » 03 May 2013, 19:39

Hi - I wondered how those of you who had re-tears a few months after surgery are doing?
I had LIS in Feb and was pronounced healed in march. I continued to have some "awareness" as someone said earlier - which was fairly annoying. Through all this my worst trouble has been discomfort while sitting rather than the typical pain with BM. That continued for a while but was easing up in April.
Then about 2 weeks ago I felt a twinge with a bm and more discomfort while sitting in the days following. Crs confirmed she saw a "nearly healed" little fissure, but was not worried as she said it should heal on its own. Then 3 days later, another twinge and a spot of blood with BM. More discomfort for the next few days and major anxiety!
So that brings me to today. My anxiety is through the roof wondering why this double-re-tear now. Hoping that someone may be able to share how things turned out for them! I have appt to see my doc in about 6 weeks (she is annoyingly difficult to get in to).
becsbum
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby howtobepositive » 04 May 2013, 00:32

Nice replies guys. I am only 4 days post op but definitely good advice on staying calm and patient in case things go a little haywire. Hoping all goes well with me and all of you in the future!
howtobepositive
Salt Bather

Topics: 20

Postby Ceeteefeebs » 04 May 2013, 11:55

I agree! Five days post-op and I have to say I feel like I did pre-op. I'm meeting with my CRS on Tuesday. I felt great until yesterday's BM, and today is proving to be worse (fissure pain, spasms). Your messages have given me hope that maybe I just need a little more time to heal than most. Hoping that life is treating you guys well and that our best days are ahead of us!
Ceeteefeebs
Salt Bather

Topics: 11