After Fistula Surgery, but still discharge pus. Is that ok?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

After Fistula Surgery, but still discharge pus. Is that ok?

Postby frans77 » 20 Oct 2012, 07:18

I had my fistula successfu removed about 8 weeks ago but still have every 8 to 10 day's and sometimes less a small amount of discharge. Is this normal? My Doctor says yes. Will this ever stop and if yes when??
frans77

Topics: 1

Re: After Fistula Surgery, but still discharge pus. Is that ok?

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 Oct 2012, 14:29

Hi Frans,
Welcome to the site! Image Sorry you have to be here but you'll find a lot of support and great advice here.
Congratulations for getting through the surgery successfully and don't worry about the discharge. It IS still normal as the wound heals, as long as it's not itchy or smells bad, which could indicate infection. If you read a lot of the other fistula posts, you will find others in the same situation and from what I've read it can take up to 10 months in some cases for the discharge to stop but it's still normal even at that stage. It does stop and really depends on the state of the fistula, size, position etc. and the surgery performed on it.
Sure this is perfectly normal, just keep everything really clean and you'll get there! All the very best in your healing :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Re: After Fistula Surgery, but still discharge pus. Is that ok?

Postby owieher » 26 Oct 2012, 02:42

frans77 wrote:I had my fistula successfu removed about 8 weeks ago but still have every 8 to 10 day's and sometimes less a small amount of discharge. Is this normal? My Doctor says yes. Will this ever stop and if yes when??

After 2 months, I went to the doctor and I'm glad I did. He put some medication and burned the area. About a week since he burned it, I no longer see the pus/drainage. I hope I'm okay though.
These things take time, but if the drainage isn't decreasing w/in a reasonable amount of time, I think you should seek medical attention. The body is constantly repairing itself, and if you don't see progress, something is wrong.
owieher
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: After Fistula Surgery, but still discharge pus. Is that

Postby praty » 18 Jun 2016, 07:59

Hi All,
I'm facing similar situation. I've had a perianal abscess which was very painful. I was hardly able to walk/sit properly, i.e. reduced to no movement. On the day of the surgery. it burst out on its own but then also I went for the surgery which was alright and the whole area was drained and cleaned. The surgery was done on 18th February, 2016 and the wound almost healed in 8-9 weeks but then I started experiencing pain in the same region after almost 10 weeks of the surgery. There was also a bit of pain and discharge coming through. I went to my CRS again, and after undergoing MRI scan, I was told that it was a low fistula. He further explained that 50% of abscess turn into fistula so that's pretty normal. I just wanted to get rid of all this pain and so I decided to undergo another surgery (called fistulectomy) on 17th May which was less painful than the previous one. The wound has healed properly in about a month and only a small bit is left now. I'm taking sitz baths twice every day and still taking laxative to avoid constipation. I'm also having daily dressings. The healing has been fine until last week and now, I'm experiencing discharge and similar pain (inflammation and needle like pain like before being diagnosed with abscess) after every bowel movement. There isn't any blood in the discharge but there are some stool particles. There are also some brown/yellow coloured stuffs which looks like puss with foul smell. Is that normal or is there any chance that I might have another fistula/abscess? I'm a bit worried as I don't want to go through all of that again. Last 6-7 months have been really painful.
Any help/suggestions/tips is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
praty
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1