Should i go for 2nd LIS? fissure hasn't healed yet!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Should i go for 2nd LIS? fissure hasn't healed yet!!

Postby jillywilly » 08 Jan 2013, 15:09

Had my follow up appointment with my crs yesterday 2 months after LIS was done, I didn't think I was healed properly cos I still have pain after every bm & I have had several episodes of bleeding aswell. My crs examined me & confirmed fissure is still there, he was very apologetic that I hadn't healed & said I was one of the unlucky 5% that lis doesn't work for. I've healed ok from the incision of the procedure & havnt had any incontinence issues at all so crs suggested repeating the procedure & making another incision on the other side. I'm not ready to have surgery again yet so I asked if we could leave it awhile & he suggested I try using anoheal (diltizem) cream for 3 months to see if it heals. To be honest the pain I have since the LIS isn't quite as bad as before & doesn't last as long so at the moment I think I'd rather wait & see how things go.
Does anyone have any similar experiences? Would you recommend a second LIS? I do keep my bm soft with high fibre diet & lots of water but did eat quite a lot more & drink quite a lot of wine over Xmas & new year which maybe didn't help!!
Any advice would be most welcome.
jillywilly
Salt Bather

Topics: 12

Re: Should i go for 2nd LIS? fissure hasn't healed yet!!

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 08 Jan 2013, 21:50

Here's my advice: DON'T GIVE UP YET!
I had LIS surgery this summer and it took 4 months for my fissure to heal. At my 2 month post-op visit, my CRS told me the same thing your CRS told you - the surgery didn't work, the fissure probably isn't going to heal on its own, a 2nd LIS surgery is recommended, etc.
However, I decided to wait and continued to use Nifedipine daily (although my CRS changed the dosage strength from .2% to .3%). At my 3 month post-op visit, my CRS said the fissure was finally healing, but was still red. At my 4 month post-op visit, he said the fissure was fully healed! I am now more than 5 months post-op.
My CRS did apply silver nitrate to the fissure twice (at my 2 month post-op visit and a couple of weeks later) which cauterized the granulation tissue. I think this definitely helped with my healing (even though it hurt like hell!) so you may want to ask your CRS about it.
Good luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby barbedbutt » 10 Jan 2013, 15:06

hi is this silver nitrate use common? i had lis 5 months ago and it has done absolutley nothing accept give me more pain from a surgery site, that has now healed but i still have the same fissure! it tears just sitting on the couch!
barbedbutt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 10 Jan 2013, 15:25

Yes, if you have granulation tissue (according to my CRS). They also use it for women following childbirth if there is a vaginal tear that doesn't heal. It hurts like hell but, according to my CRS, it "cleans" the wound, hopefully allowing it to heal correctly. In any case, it worked for me.
Good luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8