My story - all suggestions will be gratefully received :)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

My story - all suggestions will be gratefully received :)

Postby Momto2 » 01 Feb 2013, 03:08

Hi All,
I've been reading here for a while, but thought it time to say 'hi' and ask for help.
I have a fissure, diagnosed by my GP just over a couple of weeks ago. The pain started 2-3 months ago & I wrongly assumed it was piles & treated as such, but it just got worse & worse until I went to the Drs and what I believed to be piles are skin tags - great.
I had a 3rd degree tear with my daughter 3 years ago, so whether that makes the area more prone to tears, tags?, and then due to the tear, opted for an elective C Section with my son in Sep 2012. I think all the meds after that must have caused constipation, leading to the tear, and I'm breastfeeding which means I'm seemingly always dehydrated..
So, my GP prescribed Rectogesic 0.4%, to be used 'externally' - is this right, as the instructions say internal, though the sticker on the front says 'external use only'? To further complicate it, as I'm breastfeeding, I'm only applying a little before bed each night, after his last feed, as don't want it to pass to him. It' s making my dizzy, but as I'm breastfeeding, I'm putting about half the dose on. Well, I'm still in a lot of pain, burning and pain for hours & hours after a BM.
Dr didn't recommend anything else, but thanks to you guys, I'm also:
Drinking loads & loads of water - I don't drink alcohol anyway, no fizzy drinks, & have maybe one tea a day if that, & start the day with either a peppermint tea or hot lemon & honey drink
Taking a magnesium supplement before bed- 300mg
Having banana/porridge for breakfast, with a few dried apricots/prunes/figs. Lunch is normally a bowl of weetabix/cheerios & fruit/yogurt. Dinner I've not yet modified, as hubby & daughter can be awkward, so this is normally pasta, chicken & veg, sausages & oven chips etc.
Sitting in a warm bath at least once a day - tricky with 2 little ones to watch, but if I can get 2-3 in, I definitely feel better
Taking Fybogel each night
Eating more fruit generally, grapes, pears etc.
The Rectogesic nightly
Cutting down on red meat - I still have sausages/bacon once a week - does that need to go?? And are chicken & fish OK?
Takeaways & fried food are gone
Stopped eating my seeded bread
Reduced cheese intake
I do still eat chocolate, ice cream, cheese, peanuts, bread, white pasta - though all much less than I was. Am I naive in thinking I can still have these in moderation? As I said, Dr just gave me the ointment, mentioned water & more fibre.
The bleeding stopped almost as soon as I was diagnosed and really started trying to beat this, so no blood for 2 weeks now (there was usually some on wiping after every other BM prior to this), so I'm hoping this is a good sign. BM's are less painful, too, though still hurt, since more water & some diet improvements, but the burning, spasms & pain for hours & hours after is still the same. Of course, as I breastfeed, sitting down a lot comes with the territory, which I'm sure doesn't help, and stress levels can be high when I'm in a lot of pain looking after 2 kids. I Have BMs every other day, which is actual more frequent for me than it used to be, as I could go for days before.
So, any and all advice and opinions would be very welcome. Feel quite alone as it's not something you share, though my husband's been very supportive, but feel I'm battling constantly, and my life revolves around going to the loo now :(
Thanks for reading
Momto2

Topics: 1

Re: My story - all suggestions will be gratefully received :)

Postby CrackinUp » 01 Feb 2013, 07:03

Welcome to the forum.
I've not been on here long myself, however the thing that has worked best for me with regards to the spasms is a heated pad.
I was in 6 hours of really quite severe pain yesterday and today I've not had any. I think you'll find a post from me around this time of day yesterday and I was not in a good place.
Today, I'm absolutely fine. This mornings BM was very painful but I have not had spasms, which that's the pain that I find really draining. I can cope with a short sharp blast of pain each morning, however 6-12 hours of knife like pains in my buttox I simply can't live with !!! Image
I've been told they hinder the healing process, which I'm currently very confused about as I thought no spasms = healing. I've posted on the other board about this to see what people say.
I paid around Ј20 for mine and it has been worth every penny...
Hop this helps a bit :)
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Jessjess » 01 Feb 2013, 07:29

Hi Momto2,
I am currently waiting for surgery this Monday. 3 days to go and counting. My surgeon diagnosed me with a chronic fissure and associated skin tag that will not heal without surgery. I had read about the skin tag and most of the research suggest that if a skin tag is associated with the fissure that it will most likely not heal on it's own.
I have a post that outlines my pain management throughout the day. It is a job keeping myself sane! Image Anyway, Crackinup notes that the heating pad helps. It helped me for a while, then it didn't. I have been laying on my belly, not sitting, and taking sitz baths to ease the pressure on the skin tag. I am also taking Gas X to prevent the excruiating pain of passing gas.
I'm surprised you haven't had surgery. I would suggest that you see a surgeon as soon as possible. At least you will have a good doctor on hand and you will be an established patient. This is not something to put off!
Last edited by Jessjess on 03 Feb 2013, 07:57, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: not sitting- laying on belly to ease pressure on skin tag- added Gas X
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby ring of fire » 01 Feb 2013, 08:10

Hi Momto2, I used to nurse the munchkins while lying down on my side. That might help with the pressure/sitting issue. This is a tough issue to deal with when you have young kids to take care of. I'm in that boat with you. Your diet sounds pretty healthy! The natural doc I saw yesterday recommended going dairy and gluten free to reduce inflammation. Might be worth looking into.
Ask your doc if the cream/oitment is passed into breastmilk. You can also search that online - maybe a medication website that classifies drugs. If it does not make into your breastmilk, I would apply 3xday just inside the anus. That is the usual application.
I started tracking my water intake and found I wasn't drinking as much as I thought. You can start with a water bottle or large container that has measurements on it and drink all of your water from that thrughout the day. This will help you track and see exactly how much you're drinking. GOOD LUCK and hope you are feeling better soon!
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby ring of fire » 01 Feb 2013, 08:14

You could also ask about switching to nipedifine oitment 3xday. See if your doc thinks that might be safer during breastfeeding. Again, you apply just inside (like to the first pinky finger nuckle). I'm not a professional just a 20 year sufferer who tried LIS and it didn't work. On the road to healing now with nifed, and new clean diet.
ring of fire
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Jessjess » 03 Feb 2013, 07:57

Hi Mom2to! How are you?
I edited my comment by noting that the heating pad only worked for a while. I realized that by sitting I was putting too much pressure on the skin tag, so I have been laying on my belly, not sitting or laying on my side, and taking sitz baths. Also, Gas X helps to prevent the excruciating pain of passing gas.
My surgery is tomorrow, thank God!
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby marg6043 » 03 Feb 2013, 09:58

Momto2, sorry to hear that you are having so much pain with your fissure, fissures are very well known for the pain, muscle spams and irritation beside the occasional bleeding, the skin tag is also a tale of a chronic condition.
The only advise I can give you that have help me deal with the fissure this long is keep the area lubricated, no hard stools if you can and clean after the BMs completely, no more toilet paper but baby wipes will do, sitz baths no only to clean but for irritation, as any residual stools will irritate the fissure all day, that have worked for me for 7 months since I was diagnosed, my fissure is still there but more manageable with tender loving care.
And if the fissure doesn't want to go under control is always surgery.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby Momto2 » 04 Feb 2013, 05:04

Thanks so much for all of your advice & good wishes.
I had a bad weekend, as I hadn't needed to go to the toilet since Weds, & so was panicking about re-tearing, and got to the point where I was scared to eat anything at all for fear of making it worse. I eventually 'went' yesterday, though only a little, and whilst there was no blood & it 's definitely getting less painful when I do go now, the after pains, spasms lasted for hours and were very difficult to handle.
I'm having 2-3 baths a day, working on my diet, drinking loads of water, inc magnesium, flaxseed etc., but I feel that unless the spasms go, I can't have a hope of healing - is this right? I'm using the nitro, but not loads, as I'm still breastfeeding, so being careful with it's use. I've ordered some coconut oil, too, as I saw some people saying this helped them.
Momto2

Postby CrackinUp » 04 Feb 2013, 06:54

I can cope with the pain during a BM, what I simply cannot deal with are the spasm pains. They are unbearable and there's no hiding from them. I've been in tears twice today, never felt pain or emotion like this in my life. And there seems to be nothing anyone can do. My heat pad is no longer working. I don't even get relief in the bath!
I'm considering not eating at all. How long did you starve yourself for? I'm only 11 stone and have lost half a stone in a week already and I have been eating!
CrackinUp
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 11

Postby Momto2 » 04 Feb 2013, 13:02

Yes, total agree - it's the spasms that are the worst & they last for hours & hours after.
Ate minimal amounts over the weekend, but felt dizzy & knew I couldn't keep doing it as I'm still 100% breastfeeding. Felt guilty looking at my baby, as I know I need to eat well for him, but just panicked about putting more in there.
Today had 3 short baths & I'm using fullers earth cream - don't know whether it's healing/making it worse, but it does relieve the itching. Ate a little more normally, though chewed & chewed it all!
Just want it to start getting better....
Momto2