D-day 9th Feb 2013

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: D-day 9th Feb 2013

Postby Mamalucia » 09 Feb 2013, 09:14

I'm surprised your not completely numb in that area! Hopefully the meds kick in an take the pain away! Wishing you an easy and quick recovery!!
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby fedupandsore » 09 Feb 2013, 09:50

Still in hospital after my op at 10 this morning.
Surgeon just been round. What was meant to be a 15minute op took 90 mins! He also found a fistula! My fissure was VERY large apparently!
I am still in discomfort! Even after paracetamol, ibuprofen, morphine! I've also had to have anti sickness meds as feeling very nauseous ! :( xxx
fedupandsore
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Mamalucia » 09 Feb 2013, 10:01

Oh boy well glad they found the fistula! Hope you start feeling better soon. What your pain on a 1-10?
Mamalucia
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Jessjess » 09 Feb 2013, 10:59

Wow- so glad you are in recovery and not waiting for surgery anymore! How is your pain management? I hope they gave you strong painkillers. I had Percoset 5-325 that I had to take for a fissurectomy and LIS. I took 2 tablets every 4 hours for the first couple of days.
The day after surgery was the hardest but it was no more pain than I had before surgery and there were no stabbing pains, just burning and discomfort. I used a fan to blow cool air on my butt for most of the day.
Make sure you can rotate ice packs tonight to take down the swelling. Ice packs have helped me a lot!
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 5

Postby fedupandsore » 10 Feb 2013, 12:34

Evening all!
I was not given any pain killers from the hospital. Just told to take ibuprofen and paracetamol. I was taking tramadol before my op for a shoulder problem so was told to take 1 if needed. I've avoided taking this so far because it makes me ill (I already feel bad enough without this).
I am in quite a lot of discomfort - pain is probably only about a 5 but I'm VERY uncomfortable. I had my op about 32 hours ago now. I've had a sitz bath this afternoon whilst sitting on a rubber ring. This was very soothing.
I am suffering a lot with trapped wind and I've also not had a BM yet :(
I have been taking lactulose and fybrogel to help me moving but no good so far.
When wiping I have felt a large lump - almost feels like it could be a clump of blood around my stitch maybe - I'm not sure! Should I look?
I can't bring myself to feel or look - it makes me feel sick! X
fedupandsore
Fibre Addict

Postby Jessjess » 10 Feb 2013, 14:54

So sorry you are so uncomfortable! I'm surprised they didn't give you any Percoset or Vicodin (generic for oxycodone and hydrocodone). Have you asked for it?
What are you doing to keep you system moving? Like stool softeners diet, water intake, etc.? The instructions that the doc gave me said that if I became constipated, then to take 2 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia. If no BM within 12 hours, then take 1 bottle of Citrate of Magnesia.
Are you using a ice pack for 20 minute intervals? (20 minutes on ice, 20 minutes off, and so on) This is what has helped me the most.
I have also kept myself very clean by using wet wipes, then Tucks, then gauze. I have gone through a couple of packages of gauze (3x3) already. Even if I don't see any blood or whatever, I am still using them to be safe since I still have some pain and the itching (healing!) has started.
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby fedupandsore » 10 Feb 2013, 15:05

Hiya
Since updating my last post - I've had my first BM! My... That was an ordeal lol it was not too painful coming out, but my... The pain after was intense... Talk about ring sting haha! I couldn't even wipe, I just had to jump in the shower and rinse, then have a bath for 20 mins.
To keep clean I've been using fragrance free wet wipes and then patting with toilet roll to dry. I've then been using fresh sanitary towels every time I go to the toilet.
I've been using lactulose and fybrogel stool softners. So drinking apple juice, lots of water and eating grapes and had bran flakes for breakfast.
I feel better in myself now I've been to the toilet. No stomach cramps. But I am very uncomfortable now... It's going to be a loooong night!
I've tried ice packs but I find it hurts :( hot water bottle soothes it though, so I've spent most of my time with a hot water bottle stuck to my ass haha !
Xxx
fedupandsore
Fibre Addict

Postby Jessjess » 10 Feb 2013, 15:19

Great! I'm glad you were able to go. Did you get a set of instructions from your surgeon?
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby fedupandsore » 10 Feb 2013, 15:32

Nope no instructions other than verbal instructions.
One was that I need to insert a finger daily to remove the 'crud' !!! I'm going to call him tomorrow and check this though as I can not face doing that. The thought makes me physically sick.
I am in a lot of pain now, so I have an ice pack - its painful but I'm following your advice lol. I'll try anything right now :( xxx
fedupandsore
Fibre Addict

Postby Jessjess » 10 Feb 2013, 16:04

Here are my instructions. I'll also post this in the surgery section. About the ice pack- this will help the swelling go down. I did not "sit" on the ice. I layed on my side and leaned it against my butt and use the blanket to wedge it up close to my butt.
Also, my sitz baths are taken in the bathtub. It's good to get relaxed and have hotter water. I have a good novel that I read to pass the time.
Instructions:
1. Medications- painkillers and fiber products
My meds (this will differ per person)
Oxycodone-Acetominophen 5-325 (generic for Percoset)- Take as soon as ANY discomfort or returning sensation is felt. Take 1 or 2 as needed every 4 hours.
Continue with stool softeners (100 mg 3x/day)
Miralax- 1 dose/day
Continue with Aleve/Motrin (same as 800 mg ibuprofen) (these meds can be taken with the painkiller). No acetominophen or Tylenol as this is already in the painkiller.
2. Use an ice pack for the first night after surgery. A hot tub bath may still be taken the night of surgery and may be taken 4-6 times a day beginning the day after surgery as needed for comfort. These baths will help especially after a bowel movement. Baths should last about 20 minutes. Epsom salts or other additives are not necessary. Remove your surgical dressing during your first bath if any dressing is present.
3. If difficulty emptying your bladder occurs, sit in a hot tub of water for 5-10 minutes, then empty your bladder in the tub. After surgery, minimize liquids until you urinate for the first time.
4. Drainage of pus-like material and blood will occur after surgery and is normal. Use cotton or gauze at your anal opening to protect your skin and clothes. If prolonged or profuse bleeding occurs, call the office at once.
5. Discomfort with bowel movements following rectal surgery is common. A bowel movement at least every other day will hasten your recovery. If you have had no BM by 2 days after surgery, take 2 tablespoons of Milk of Magnesia. If no BM occurs within 12 hours, take 1 bottle of Citrate of Magnesia.
6. Use moist toilet paper or Tucks pads to clean after a BM and take a tub bath or shower if possible.
7. Eat a regular diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. DO NOT eat only soups or liquids. Drink 6-8 glasses of water a day.
8. After rectal surgery, avoid strenuous exercise or heavy activity for at least 1 week. Other activities such as driving, climbing stairs, and walking may be done in moderation. Use common sense and listen to what your body tells you. Do not use "doughnut" rings to sit on.
9. Call the office if fever of more than 101F, worsening pain, or if you have questions about your progress.
10. Avoid aspirin or products which contain aspirin to reduce the risk of bleeding.
I hope that you might find something in these instructions to help! Again, I would pester your doctor to give you Percoset or Vicodin at least. I think the strongest OTC med is Motrin with is the same thing as 800 mg of ibuprofen. I don't know if you can combine this with Aleve or not. I'll check.
Jessjess
Proctosphincteranalogist